eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

The Hundred-Foot Journey $5,562,000 -22% 1,944 -99 $2,861 $32,750,204  

Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/08/24/box-office-guardians-tops-if-i-stay-opens-to-16-3m-weekend-sin-city-2-flops/

Guardians of the Galaxy is now the biggest-grossing film of the summer.  If I Stay opens soft while Sin City 2 flops.

It was an “everybody loses” weekend at the box office for new releases. There were three wide releases this weekend and none of them made much of an impact. The top new release for the weekend is If I Stay, a New Line Cinema/Warner Bros. (Time Warner Inc.) release about a young girl forced to choose between letting herself die and waking up from a coma after a car accident kills her family and leaves her on the brink of “crossing over.” The picture, based on a popular young adult melodrama, stars Chloe Moretz and cost just $11 million to produce. To that end, the fact that it’s opening just a little smaller than expected is only a minor tragedy. The picture earned $16.335 million on its first weekend, including a $1.1m Thursday gross and a $6.8m opening Friday.

The picture played 61% under 25 years old and 77% female. The film earned mixed notices but everyone praised Ms. Moretz....

In holdover news, Guardians of the Galaxy earned $17.63 million on its fourth weekend, down just 31% from last weekend and now with a $251.88m domestic cume. It topped the weekend and surpassed the $243m domestic gross of Transformers: Age of Extinction to become summer’s biggest grosser by yesterday and should pass Captain America: The Winter Soldier‘s $257m gross to top all of 2014 sometime next week. I’ll discuss said milestone in a little more detail over the next week, but kudos to anyone who had that in their box office pool. I’m the idiot who bet on How to Train Your Dragon 2.  Paramount’s (Viacom Inc.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is holding up pretty well too, earning around $16.7m on its third weekend, down 32% from last weekend. The Michael Bay-produced reboot passed the $135m domestic cume of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) today and now has $144m domestic after 17 days.

and so on

• Like 2

30% drop for GOTG! UNBELIEVABLE! :o I was thinking 35% as best case.300m is probably locked now.Most unexpected 300m grosser in a long long time. Congrats druv for being the only one to get it right.

• Like 1