eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

http://deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-friday-if-i-stay-to-take-no-1-sin-city-2-tanking-in-dog-days-of-summer-823607/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Deadline update

UPDATED, Sunday, 7:30 AM: Tentpole holdovers Guardians of the Galaxy and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were a one-two punch this weekend with an estimated $17.5M and $16.6M, respectively, to sit atop the box office for another week. In these dog days of summer, If I Stay dropped to third place on Saturday and will end the weekend with a $16.3M gross. The Warner Bros. romancer propelled only by young females performed the best of the three newcomers. The other two newbies were Sony’s sports biopic When the Game Stands Tall which ran in with about $8.7M (after a bit of a bump from the family audience yesterday) and TWC’s Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For which couldn’t be restarted on Saturday, even with a defibrillator. It was DOA with a mere $6.3M.

I bet TWC was glad it didn’t produce this monster — that was done by Aldamisa which pre-sold the picture heavily overseas. It was a bad weekend for all the newcomers, to say the least. The biggest disappointment — outside how truly horrible the tracking has been for the industry, especially over the past few months — is that Sin City 2, with a budget of anywhere between $60M and $70M, is unlikely to make a penny back. More to come.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Pathetic $6.5M opening wknd for #SinCity2. Yes, that's "wknd" and not "day" folks.

Lol. I'm glad Angelina turned down the Eva Green role. TWC has had trouble with everything they released this year. Even Begin Again, a sure-fire crowd-pleaser, had a poor release strategy (going wide way too soon).

Edited by Boogie Nights

http://deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-friday-if-i-stay-to-take-no-1-sin-city-2-tanking-in-dog-days-of-summer-823607/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Deadline update

"The biggest disappointment — outside how truly horrible the tracking has been for the industry, especially over the past few months..."

Tracking has been a joke pretty much all year.  It really looks like any one of us, with no alleged behind-the-scenes info whatsoever, could've come up with OW guesses for the last 25-30 weeks and been just about as accurate as the "professional" tracking sites.  It's becoming obvious to me that there really isn't any way to accurately predict BO these days (if there ever was).  It does make this site more interesting, though, as even the most wacky predictions have a chance at being right (GOTG over MOS?!?, even this Marvel nut wouldn't have bet a plug nickel on that back in July!).

SIN CITY's horrible $6.5 mil number should be stunning, but I'm not at all surprised - I knew no one who was eager to see it.  What was stunning was the $15-20-million tracking numbers I was seeing for it all week, especially considering the weak BO we've seen most of the summer.

• Like 1