Ent

Monday numbers (09/08)

TMNT is now ahead of HTTYD2.

I understand that is annoying for fans, but the movie had very poor marketing and despite Katzenberg proclaiming that it was foolish in retrospect to open Kung Fu 2 against Hangover 2, he released this against 21 Jump St. With that horrid campaign and immense competition, this was never going to surpass the first IMO. Animated movies need humor in their campaigns and dragon 2 felt very cold. But that is just marketing and release stuff. I bet the movie is damn good. It's a shame since it is somewhat obvious IMO.

Surprise:

Get ready to see The Identical have a big theater count drop in only it's second weekend!

Apparently Freestyle or whoever distributed this did not put the usual 2-week requirement on this film. And just now as I'm typing this, I'm now guessing that most theaters weren't even planning to show it at all, and then Freestyle said they'd waive the 2-week requirement, and that got The Identical into 1900 theaters instead of 900.