RaidensSword

Doesn't anyone miss Matthew McConaughey's romcoms?

The rom-com slate is dire these days, though. I'm all for seeing McConaughey in a romcom that's actually funny, smart, has interesting characters and doesn't go through all the familiar beats and tropes. Except where are you gonna get one of those today, at least outside of independent cinema? The guy is better off challenging himself while he's at it. 

• Like 2

while it's not a Rom-Com per se..but it follows the same concept (PG-13 rich people issues comedy)..The Other Woman did extremley well so the genre could be reawakened all over again..

unfortunately since Ted and Seth Rogen..and most notably The Hangover..the comedy trend is leaning for titty R rated comedies about a bunch of unrelatable perverted douchebags  :)

all this 21/22 Jump Street/Neighbors/Let's be Cops stuff should just die

Edited by Johnny Wiseau

Funny how people now pretend they always have unabashedly loved Matthew McConaughey and hold him high in their cinephile hearts even during his shitty streak of romcoms slump. I don't remember a single person that bet on him or quote him as one of the best Hollywood actors merely 5 years ago.

MM circa 2003-2007 was:

Posted ImagePosted Image

spending more time on beach workouts than deliver memorable and remarkable performances on screen. Yet, people now act like they always thought he was one of the greatest actors ever because he made some interesting choices lately and won an Oscar retroactively asserting that he was actually good in those mediocre movies that were Fool's Gold, Sahara and Failure To Launch.

Give me a break, the fact that MM won an Oscar was so surprising to everyone because he was in a dump stuck in romcom oblivion and nobody thought any good about his acting prowess anymore thanks to those movies until that famous streak.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Funny how people now pretend they always have unabashedly loved Matthew McConaughey and hold him high in their cinephile hearts even during his shitty streak of romcoms slump. I don't remember a single person that bet on him or quote him as one of the best Hollywood actors merely 5 years ago.

MM circa 2003-2007 was:

Posted ImagePosted Image

spending more time on beach workouts than deliver memorable and remarkable performances on screen. Yet, people now act like they always thought he was one of the greatest actors ever because he made some interesting choices lately and won an Oscar retroactively asserting that he was actually good in those mediocre movies that were Fool's Gold, Sahara and Failure To Launch.

Give me a break, the fact that MM won an Oscar was so surprising to everyone because he was in a dump stuck in romcom oblivion and nobody thought any good about his acting prowess anymore thanks to those movies until that famous streak.

But the potential was always there. Anyone that saw Contact, A Time to Kill or Surfer, Dude can testify to that. Edited by RaidensSword

But the potential was always there. Anyone that saw Contact, A Time to Kill or Surfer, Dude can testify to that.

My point was that he was seen as the handsome jock that squandered his potential throughout the 2000's (I very much doubt people that cherish him today as a great actor just because of his oscah saw him in Lone Star or Contact nor remember he starred in Amistad). Nobody expected that comeback as a critically respected actor winning academy awards and earning accolades overnight seeing how his filmography had turned out. Nobody. Hell, people probably thought Leo would snatch the Oscar before MM back then as he was pushing really hard for it whereas MM was kinda stuck in a rut career wise amounting to no good.

It's like you're telling me Gerard Butler or Josh Lucas will get an Oscar in the next few years. That thought was deemed unlikely back in 2006.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Matthew McConaughey has a family he needs to support now and probably realized that doing nothing but lazy romcoms wasn't going to lead him anywhere in the long run. Put two and two together, and it's not difficult to see why he decided to turn his career around, unquestionably for the better.

Edited by filmlover

My point was that he was seen as the handsome jock that squandered his potential throughout the 2000's (I very much doubt people that cherish him today as a great actor just because of his oscah saw him in Lone Star or Contact nor remember he starred in Amistad). Nobody expected that comeback as a critically respected actor winning academy awards and earning accolades overnight seeing how his filmography had turned out. Nobody. Hell, people probably thought Leo would snatch the Oscar before MM back then as he was pushing really hard for it whereas MM was kinda stuck in a rut career wise amounting to no good. It's like you're telling me Gerard Butler or Josh Lucas will get an Oscar in the next few years. That thought was deemed unlikely back in 2006.

Yeah I agree it was unexpected but I mean he wasnt always just a handsome jock. He fell into the rom com phase afterwards but he had shown his talent as an actor already in some earlier roles. It's more like people just forgot what he was capable of. I think almost like Tom Cruise on a smaller scale with his action films over the past decade plus compared to his Oscar nominated roles in the 80s and 90s. For McConaughey, I respect what he's done with his career and he absolutely deserves the credit and respect. I'm not saying he should stop that, just why cant he do both. Make another rom com or fun adventure movie with romance in between all these serious dramatic roles. He has such a great personality in real life that can really shine through on film when given the chance.

I always liked him because Contact and Dazed and Confused were two of my favorite movies since I was a teenager. And I think even critics always liked him. They slamed his romcoms but I don't think they were slamming him. He had this "squandered potential" label but no one was calling him a sellout or a bad actor. He had a much better reputation than say Gerard Butler. 

while it's not a Rom-Com per se..but it follows the same concept (PG-13 rich people issues comedy)..The Other Woman did extremley well so the genre could be reawakened all over again.. unfortunately since Ted and Seth Rogen..and most notably The Hangover..the comedy trend is leaning for titty R rated comedies about a bunch of unrelatable perverted douchebags  :)all this 21/22 Jump Street/Neighbors/Let's be Cops stuff should just die

You are like the worst poster of this site.

Matthew McConaughey has a family he needs to support now and probably realized that doing nothing but lazy romcoms wasn't going to lead him anywhere in the long run. Put two and two together, and it's not difficult to see why he decided to turn his career around, unquestionably for the better.

Lol no, the salary he got for rom-coms would have easily supported a family.

• Like 1

Lol no, the salary he got for rom-coms would have easily supported a family.

But if his rom-coms kept underwhelming, eventually he wouldn't get those jobs and paychecks anymore...if not for the McConaisssance, maybe he would've had to go the "dad in a family movie" route, a trip to Sandlerville or being the lead guy on the latest CBS procedural. All that would've paid the bills but without the respectability he's won now. Going the indie route was a gamble because there was no guarantee it was going to work out like it did...a lot of indie movies come and go without making any sort of impression.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica