Fullbuster

Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 on September 24 : Will Grand Admiral Thrawn destroy them all??

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos in hindsight Disney may have wanted to let Filoni finish the Crystal Crisis arc for release since it kinda ties in to Rogue One with the large Kyber Crystal. 

It seems kinda silly that Disney wouldn't let them finish this and Bad Batch. Since the Crystal Crisis arc is fully voiced, with all sound effects, and musical backing. They justed needed to finish the animation. I assume Bad Batch will be similar.

That would have given them 21 episodes, a full season.

But where would it have aired?  It wasn't going to be on Cartoon Network, and why would Disney air one season of a not-completely-kid-friendly-by-this-time show on XD?  I suppose it could have gone to one of its other networks, but it would still only have one years worth of programming.

I also suppose it could have gone back to Cartoon Network for one year, but apparently there was squawking between LFL and CN over price (hence the comments about Lucas funding a decent portion of the show out of pocket).

As I understand it, the only reason the 13 some odd episodes landed on Netflix is because they WERE done and could be 'dumped', and even that took some wrangling.

While all of this was going on production for Rebels was already ramping up and it had a date to make.  Splitting production on Rebels/TCW might have delayed Rebels.  Or not, I'm only speculating here as only some of the team from TCW went over to Rebels.  

Regardless it is undeniable that TCW cost more to make than Rebels, and at best it was probably the case that Disney didn't see much to gain from finishing those eight episodes without a clear home to put them.

As I said elsewhere, just one of those things involving shitty timing.

NB: I think the REALLY interesting thing is that those episodes were already in a chain of production without a firm order from Cartoon Network.  Could be that they had soft agreements in place (again contingent on LFL funding at least part of the order) that were upended when LFL was sold.  Or could be something else going on.  That there were ANY ready to air episodes for Season Six is far more interesting to me than the fact some didn't get finished.

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

NB: I think the REALLY interesting thing is that those episodes were already in a chain of production without a firm order from Cartoon Network.  Could be that they had soft agreements in place (again contingent on LFL funding at least part of the order) that were upended when LFL was sold.  Or could be something else going on.  That there were ANY ready to air episodes for Season Six is far more interesting to me than the fact some didn't get finished.

To clarify this a bit, the production time in this style of animation isn't quick.  So to make yearly targets there HAD to be episodes in the production pipeline to 'keep feeding the beast'.  What I'm more curious about is who ate the cost when Cartoon Network and LFL/Disney couldn't'/wouldn't reach an agreement to keep airing the show.  Was there any soft funding going on from CN that got cut off.  Was LFL left holding the bag completely and Disney just decided to write it off and get what they could from a Netflix dumpage?  Or is it even more complicated than that (not hard given how messy productions can be)?

As I look over everything there were two main factors.  1) A show with a dwindling, if passionate, fanbase and therefore an uncertain return for making it and 2) New owners who wanted to do their own thing.

If, IF, TCW was this wildly successful show that was killing it with its target audience, something probably would have been worked out.  Maybe even all eight seasons, with Rebels airing concurrently/pushed back.

But as it was, TCW was just successful enough for someone to keep saying, "Sure, I guess" but not successful enough for someone to say, "Gotta find a way to keep this gravy train rolling."

tl;dr:  This is the problem with having a show airing in part to the whims of an eccentric billionaire when said eccentric billionaire leaves the scene.

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

But where would it have aired?  It wasn't going to be on Cartoon Network, and why would Disney air one season of a not-completely-kid-friendly-by-this-time show on XD?  I suppose it could have gone to one of its other networks, but it would still only have one years worth of programming.

I also suppose it could have gone back to Cartoon Network for one year, but apparently there was squawking between LFL and CN over price (hence the comments about Lucas funding a decent portion of the show out of pocket).

As I understand it, the only reason the 13 some odd episodes landed on Netflix is because they WERE done and could be 'dumped', and even that took some wrangling.

While all of this was going on production for Rebels was already ramping up and it had a date to make.  Splitting production on Rebels/TCW might have delayed Rebels.  Or not, I'm only speculating here as only some of the team from TCW went over to Rebels.  

Regardless it is undeniable that TCW cost more to make than Rebels, and at best it was probably the case that Disney didn't see much to gain from finishing those eight episodes without a clear home to put them.

As I said elsewhere, just one of those things involving shitty timing.

Fair enough. My knowledge of the production issues for the show is minimal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Fair enough. My knowledge of the production issues for the show is minimal.

Well, it's not exactly like Disney/LFL have gone out of their way to officially clairfy just what the hell went on from their side of things, so I don't blame you.  Most of what I worte in those two posts is what I've been able to piece together from stray comments from Pablo Hidalgo and others.  Who knows how accurate it all is.  But it makes sense enough to me.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Well, it's not exactly like Disney/LFL have gone out of their way to officially clairfy just what the hell went on from their side of things, so I don't blame you.  Most of what I worte in those two posts is what I've been able to piece together from stray comments from Pablo Hidalgo and others.  Who knows how accurate it all is.  But it makes sense enough to me.

True. The cloud of corporate bureaucracy.

On a related tangent, it is odd that Crystal Crisis was unfinished, since it feels like a season 6 priemiere arc because Anakin and Obi-Wan briefly discuss Ahsoka's departure. 

With Rogue One now a thing I can imagine Filoni cheekily going back in time to rewrite the ending of the arc to have Obi-Wan and Anakin deliver the crystal to Coruscant, where the Chancellor takes custody and hands it over to his heads of "energy research" Directors Krennic and Erso. ;)

• Like 1

Death Troopers!

Mon Mothma!

Admiral Yularen! (2:39)

Hammerhead!

Tie Defender!

Bail Organa! 

Jan Dodonna!
Battle Droids!

Kanan training Sabine!

Thrawn's Endgame!

And, oh yes, a pair of old friends having a bit of a reunion. :ph34r:

Should be fun. :)

Just now, Porthos said:

Death Troopers!

Mon Mothma!

Admiral Yularen! (2:39)

Hammerhead!

Tie Defender!

Bail Organa! 

Jan Dodonna!
Battle Droids!

Kanan training Sabine!

Thrawn's Endgame!

And, oh yes, a pair of old friends having a bit of a reunion. :ph34r:

Should be fun. :)

It's either Yularen or Pelleon. Pablo's being coy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's a shame the Cad Bane and Boba Fett arc wasn't fully voiced yet. The entire thing was fully animated and finished, it just required some more voice acting.

I'm actually kinda shocked he hasn't shown up in Rebels yet.

Maybe he can get in line behind Maul to go after Kenobi.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

I'm actually kinda shocked he hasn't shown up in Rebels yet.

Maybe he can get in line behind Maul to go after Kenobi.

Potential Anthology 3 spoilers-

He's apparently being considered for the Boba Fett movie

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Potential Anthology 3 spoilers-

Reveal hidden contents

On the one hand I could get behind that.

On the other hand I oppose any Fett movie on the grounds that spending so much time building up a guy who goes down like an utter chump is pointless and a waste of resources unless he actually does escape the Sarlacc.

13 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's either Yularen or Pelleon. Pablo's being coy

He can be coy all he wants (haven't checked in on his feed since this morning), I'm 99.999999% sure it's Yularen:  

latest?cb=20111029215424

z2ZU8bH.gif

The smoke in the scene masks it a bit, but there is a freeze frame section where the tuinc is white and not grey.

I'd be VERY surprised if it wasn't Yularen.  The hairline is a perfect match. He was in TCW and he's been mentioned in novels so it makes sense for him to be around.

Plus look at that magnificent 'stache! :D

49 minutes ago, Porthos said:

He can be coy all he wants (haven't checked in on his feed since this morning), I'm 99.999999% sure it's Yularen:  

latest?cb=20111029215424

z2ZU8bH.gif

The smoke in the scene masks it a bit, but there is a freeze frame section where the tuinc is white and not grey.

I'd be VERY surprised if it wasn't Yularen.  The hairline is a perfect match. He was in TCW and he's been mentioned in novels so it makes sense for him to be around.

Plus look at that magnificent 'stache! :D

There's a higher quality picture on twitter where it looks more grey. Also the stache looks more like this-

52339f2b4d5d82000cc727ef748c43a3.jpg

Either way it's hype but I do kind of hope it's Pelleon.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Either way it's hype but I do kind of hope it's Pelleon.

Problem with Pelleon is, why hasn't he been Thrawn's 'Watson' so far this season?  I suppose this could be where the two of them come together as a team, but it just seems odd to bring in Pelleon mid-way through the season.

• Like 1