Fullbuster

Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 on September 24 : Will Grand Admiral Thrawn destroy them all??

Just now, 4815162342 said:

I thought including him in the front half would have been clever marketing juju

Heard comments that they've been holding some R1 releated stuff back for the second half of the season because they wanted it to be showcased in the movie first.  Let it debut on the big screen and have the spotlight and all that.

(Disney is so bad at being a cash grabber that they can't even promote stuff on their secondary outlets right :ph34r:)

• Like 1

Actual spoilers this time about what Saw is up to in Rebels:

Spoiler

(From the R1 Visual Guide)

So we're getting a follow up on the Rocks Fall, Geonosians Die as seen earlier in the series.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Honestly the way the current SW canon is integrated is amazing. After the mess that was "canon tiers" from the old EU having it all flow together seamlessly is amazing.

One of the few franchise properties that I can think of that's going in that direction.  Even Marvel's TV and Movie productions don't quite fit AS seamlessly, as I understand it.

But SW is integrating EVERYTHING* that isn't under a preexisting banner.  Okay, they're not integrating things like Battlefront and the like, but those aren't story driven chronicles, so not really the same.

*Well, except for the Lego stuff. That's in its own weird corner having a blast while doing 'shrooms. :D

AND they're doing it in such a manner that the goal is that one doesn't have to watch/read everything for things to make sense.  Unlike a certain other franchise I could mention.

Be interesting to see how long they can keep it up without it all crashing down.

Just now, Porthos said:

One of the few franchise properties that I can think of that's going in that direction.  Even Marvel's TV and Movie productions don't quite fit AS seamlessly, as I understand it.

But SW is integrating EVERYTHING* that isn't under a preexisting banner.  Okay, they're not integrating things like Battlefront and the like, but those aren't story driven chronicles, so not really the same.

*Well, except for the Lego stuff. That's in its own weird corner having a blast while doing 'shrooms. :D

AND they're doing it in such a manner that the goal is that one doesn't have to watch/read everything for things to make sense.  Unlike a certain other franchise I could mention.

Be interesting to see how long they can keep it up without it all crashing down.

Even Battlefront and the mobile games matter in that the weapons and units matter but aren't essential to know. Just cool little lore tidbits. Also seeing how a line in the Rebels finale was meant to allude to Rogue One ((Which wasn't even ANNOUNCED YET)) I have a very good feeling about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

That's because Feige has a huge beef with the head of Marvel, so Disney essentially carved Marvel movies out from the rest of Marvel and it's kind of his own little fiefdom

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos I'm actually starting TCW for the first time. Using the chronological order and holy shit do some of these episodes air out of sequence.

That's how I decided to watch it when I started my first watch last year (got the DVD set for Xmas).  And, yeah.  Just a wee bit. 

But telling stories out of order is something of a Lucas tradtion. :P

Edited by Porthos

----

Also:

Minor Rebels related spoilers for R1:

Spoiler

'Rogue One' and 'Rebels'

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2016 at 11:24 AM, Mulder said:

Ah the joys of the EU. 

Just watched the episode devoted to the background characters that were cameos in RotS by George Lucas and his daughter.

Show does love to flesh out these kinds of people a bit.

I can see why @Porthos likes Cad Bane. Plus his boy Hondo's yukked it up over a few different episodes now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Just watched the episode devoted to the background characters that were cameos in RotS by George Lucas and his daughter.

Show does love to flesh out these kinds of people a bit.

I can see why @Porthos likes Cad Bane. Plus his boy Hondo's yukked it up over a few different episodes now.

Hondo is one of the better portrayals of Chaotic Neutral that I've seen. By that I mean, he isn't Bat Shit Crazy insane like some folks try to show it and he does have a personal code of a sort.  Until he thinks, "Screw my personal code, this is a better idea." :D

It's also a VERY tricky character to pull off and one that could easily fall apart in the hands of a lesser actor.  But Jim Cummings gives it that zest and "can't help but like to see him on the screen" that pushes it over the border of 'get the hell out of here' to 'MOAR PLEASE!'.

As for Cad Bane?  Well, what's not to love when you take Lee Van Cleef, cross him with Peter Lorre, give him a truly magnificient hat and then throw him into Star Wars?  That he's as competent as Boba Fett was supposed to be (but we never really got to see in the films) AND he's able to hold his own against superior foes....  Well, as you said, there's a reason why I like him. :)

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Hondo is one of the better portrayals of Chaotic Neutral that I've seen. By that I mean, he isn't Bat Shit Crazy insane like some folks try to show it and he does have a personal code of a sort.  Until he thinks, "Screw my personal code, this is a better idea." :D

It's also a VERY tricky character to pull off and one that could easily fall apart in the hands of a lesser actor.  But Jim Cummings gives it that zest and "can't help but like to see him on the screen" that pushes it over the border of 'get the hell out of here' to 'MOAR PLEASE!'.

As for Cad Bane?  Well, what's not to love when you take Lee Van Cleef, cross him with Peter Lorre, give him a truly magnificient hat and then throw him into Star Wars?  That he's as competent as Boba Fett was supposed to be (but we never really got to see in the films) AND he's able to hold his own against superior foes....  Well, as you said, there's a reason why I like him. :)

I'm now about 1/3 through Season 3 and the show is pretty enjoyable, but it does kinda feel like it's spinning its wheels a bit with regards to a main plot or meaningful character development.

• Like 1

Okay, we finally hit the first big paradigm shift in Clone Wars. Ventress betrayed by Dooku, introducing the Nightsisters, the introduction of Savage Opress, and hey look, a quest to find Darth Maul.

Now we're getting somewhere, though the episodes also show the weakness of the half-hour format, since Ventress' backstory begs to be explored deeper than the 30-second montage of memories in the one episode.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Okay, we finally hit the first big paradigm shift in Clone Wars. Ventress betrayed by Dooku, introducing the Nightsisters, the introduction of Savage Opress, and hey look, a quest to find Darth Maul.

Now we're getting somewhere, though the episodes also show the weakness of the half-hour format, since Ventress' backstory begs to be explored deeper than the 30-second montage of memories in the one episode.

And right after this the Mortis trilogy tries to do a bit of a mindfuck with avatars of the Force, etc. Another arc where half-hour episodes meant we got only a surface treatment of some major things.

Funny that no one in the episodes ever asks if there was a Mother and if there was what happened to her. Unfortunately the EU provided an answer to that question *shudders*. But that's now gone.