Fullbuster

Star Wars Rebels - Season 3 on September 24 : Will Grand Admiral Thrawn destroy them all??

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

If that pairing doesn't happen again in this show I am going to be so disappointed (granted it's the end of Season 4 now and there's only one full season left...)

Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies. :ph34r:

Spoiler

There IS a Savage Opress fight coming up that you'll find quite satisfactory, I think.

Spoiler

Is there another Obi-Wan/Maul confrontation?  Ain't telling. :ph34r:

Also, I do believe all of 'Season Six' is on Netflix, while the 'story reel' layouts for the other two full 'arcs' that were released to the public (Crystal Crisis on Utapau/The Bad Batch) can be found on YouTube and starwars.com.

Edited by Porthos

On 12/26/2016 at 7:41 PM, 4815162342 said:

And right after this the Mortis trilogy tries to do a bit of a mindfuck with avatars of the Force, etc. Another arc where half-hour episodes meant we got only a surface treatment of some major things.

Funny that no one in the episodes ever asks if there was a Mother and if there was what happened to her. Unfortunately the EU provided an answer to that question *shudders*. But that's now gone.

Fun fact, Revan and Bane almost appeared in this arc.

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies. :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

Also, I do believe all of 'Season Six' is on Netflix, while the 'story reel' layouts for the other two full 'arcs' that were released to the public (Crystal Crisis on Utapau/The Bad Batch) can be found on YouTube and starwars.com.

Well,

Spoiler

We did get another Maul v Obi fight in the Season 5 premiere. Along with the death of Recurring Jedi Master #4 (Adi Gallia).

But I'm guessing by your smiley that we don't get another Obi/Ventress team-up the rest of the way. Which is a shame.

Edit: Oh hey Saw. Where's your buddies Bo Gallut, Two Tubes, and Hairy Immortan Joe?

Edited by 4815162342

@Porthos

Now I know why there was that 4-episode arc of R2-D2 adventure nonsense with his droid buddies (really, it should have been a two-bill at most). The show was softening us up for THE FEELS at the end of the next story arc.

Spoiler

Poor Obi-Wan. :(

At least Sidious got to show up and school the Zabrak punks.

• Like 1

@Porthos

Now I know why there was that 4-episode arc of R2-D2 adventure nonsense with his droid buddies (really, it should have been a two-bill at most). The show was softening us up for THE FEELS at the end of the next story arc.

Hide contents

Poor Obi-Wan. :(

At least Sidious got to show up and school the Zabrak punks.

Would it surprise you to find out that I LOVED that R2D2 arc?  Like, adored it to pieces?

Not saying I'd want a whole season of D-Squad, but I do like my silliness in SW from time to time.  

Besides, Gascon and WAC-47 were a laugh riot. :D  I suppose it's one of those things were it either works or it doesn't.  Worked for me, is all I can say.

As for the rest...

Spoiler

I did warn you that there would be a pretty epic confrontation coming up. :ph34r:

Maul has been through quite a lot, hasn't he? No wonder he's a vastly different character by the time Rebels comes around.  There was more prepared for our favorite Zabrak, but the cancellation cut it short.  Part of it has been told in the Son of Dathomir trade paperback; the rest implied by comments about the mooted series finale:  The Siege of Mandalore.

Spoiler

That's where Ahsoka Tano goes to kick some Maul ass while liberating Mandalore and just after she does so, Order 66 comes down the pipeline! :ohmyzod:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Would it surprise you to find out that I LOVED that R2D2 arc?  Like, adored it to pieces?

Not saying I'd want a whole season of D-Squad, but I do like my silliness in SW from time to time.  

Besides, Gascon and WAC-47 were a laugh riot. :D  I suppose it's one of those things were it either works or it doesn't.  Worked for me, is all I can say.

As for the rest...

Reveal hidden contents

Poured one out for Ahsoka.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Poured one out for Ahsoka.

Yes, one of the subtext readings of TCW is:

Spoiler

The Jedi of the Prequel Era are REALLY REALLY REALLY fucked up.

Individually, many, if not the overwheliming majority, mean well.  And on the whole are really good guys and gals. 

But their priorities are all sorts of messed up.  They are far too concerened with politics and war to truly uphold what the Jedi are supposed to be.  They're too wrapped up in plotting and secular power as well as fighting a war they should have never gotten involved in (though one could see how wanting to Do Good/Protect The Innocent got them sucked into that war).

It is absolutely an intentional hammering home point of both George Lucas and Dave Filoni, and one that will be visited a bit more in Season Six.

It's been commented by some who wish to criticize the Prequels that the Jedi there were kinda jerks in the movies and did quite a few stupid things.  TCW exists, in part, to say: That was very intentional on George's part.  It just has a LOT longer to examine just how 'clouded by the Dark Side' the Jedi of the era truly were. 

*pause*

It probably also had better writers, directors, and actors to help sell the 'Jedi are Jerks' message. :P

==

More simply, the Jedi of the prequels are an ossified, politicized, militarized shell of their former selves.  Which makes it all the easier for Darth Sidious to do his thing.  

TCW as a whole also exists on one level to show how Yoda goes from a Jedi General in the prequels to "Wars not make one great" in ESB.   

More on that score in the next season, though. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

And, of course, the way Ahsoka Tano leaves the series

Spoiler

drives the wedge between Anakin and the Council even further AND gets him more messed up in the head.  Retroactively, it helps explain why he's even more disdainful of the Jedi Council and has even more Attachment Issues.

Ironic, really, considering the whole point of Yoda's gambit with Ahsoka Tano was to get him to take on responsibility, become a teacher, and stop being so reckless.  In one way it didn't work at all, as it reinforced his worst instincts when it comes to attachment.  But in another way, it worked all to well as Anakin DID see how good of a teacher he was.  He did get more self-controlled.  He did see himself more as a Jedi.  

But one who ultimately failed and failed hard, causing self-doubt while also driving him to not make those mistakes again.  IMO, it also in part explains his drive to be on the Jedi Council, so the Council itself doesn't make mistakes he thinks it made here and elsewhere during the Clone Wars.  

And so on and so on and so on.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Yeah that's a very good reading of things. The Jedi Council was so driven by the big picture with the possible future implications that they never stopped and considered the smaller pictures making up the big picture in the present. Even if they were inclined to believe that Ahsoka was responsible, prudence should have compelled them to hold off on any big decision until they had located Ventress, caught her, and questioned her.

Hell, if they had just given Ahsoka 10 minutes to explain her side of the story the call with Bariss would have come up and the Council would have been like "Hmm, let's summon Bariss and see what she has to say about this." And if Bariss broke the facade after about 2 minutes with Anakin, I think she'd have crumpled under the combined inquisition of the entire Council.

I was disappointed in Obi-Wan, since he clearly leaned towards believing Ahsoka, but didn't try in any way to assist Anakin or her beyond some mild disapproval while the Council was in session.

Also, I think the impact of Bariss being the killer and betraying Ahsoka would have had a bit more weight if we had seen Bariss again (with Ahsoka) following the Season 2 Geonosis arc. As it stood she had been off-screen for about 3 seasons worth of episodes.

• Like 1

@Porthos

The Jedi Council is even stupider than I thought they already were.

Spoiler

Just finished Episode 10 of Season 6. So now the Jedi know that not only did the Sith play a formative role in developing the Clone Army, there was also an organic "inhibitor chip" placed in every clone that was deliberately kept secret from the Jedi until it was pulled out of Tup and shoved in the Kaminoan's faces. This presents a screaming red flag five alarm fire about the Clones.

So what does the Council decide to do? Absolutely nothing. No mass investigation into Kamino, no reevaluation of how the Jedi are to participate in the war, nothing. Yoda simply says they must continue to play the Sith's game. That's just ridiculous. Everything they now know indicates that the game is rigged against the Jedi and that the Clones must be some trojan horse, yet they think the only thing to do is to continue walking right into what should be an obvious trap.

Palpy was right. Their arrogance blinds them.

• Like 1

@Porthos

The Jedi Council is even stupider than I thought they already were.

Reveal hidden contents

And now complete with Season 6.

You could definitely tell the show was entering endgame mode since aside from the Jar Jar 2-parter (the inclusion of Mother Talzin there was weird and didn't make much sense) the other 3 arcs all played directly into the Jedi Trap, the rise of the Empire, and the New Hope. Considering the content of those episodes, I couldn't imagine the story going beyond a 7th season (and probably an abbreviated one at that)

7 hours ago, Mulder said:

It was going to be another two full seasons, and what was released for S6 wasn't everything they had for S6. A shame because their ideas for the rest of S6 and beyond were really interesting.

Off the top of my head, and NOT counting what has already been adpated into other works, the To Do List for the rest of Season 6, plus 7/8:

At least two arcs of Ahsoka.  One where she runs around in the Coruscant underworld making friends and enemies, and another where she explores the Ancient Sith Temple underneath the Jedi Temple.

One or two arcs with Young Boba Fett, including one where he teams up with Cad Bane!

One arc where a HEAVILY HEAVILY HEAVILY modified Yuuzhan Vong show up and cause trouble (George liked the look of them, their extra-galactic origin... and almost nothing else ;)).

One arc that continues the behavior chip arc with Captain Rex.

And, of course, the series finale:  The Siege of Manadlore (and aftermath)

Few others as well, plus the five arcs that have already been adapted in one form or another.

Of course, all of this was up in the air and not going to be finalized until they got made.  But there was still plenty of stuff on the agenda, including a tiny peek AFTER the events of ROTS, which is I presume the Siege of Madalore and aftermath.

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Off the top of my head, and NOT counting what has already been adpated into other works, the To Do List for the rest of Season 6, plus 7/8:

At least two arcs of Ahsoka.  One where she runs around in the Coruscant underworld making friends and enemies, and another where she explores the Ancient Sith Temple underneath the Jedi Temple.

Of course, all of this was up in the air and not going to be finalized until they got made.  But there was still plenty of stuff on the agenda, including a tiny peek AFTER the events of ROTS, which is I presume the Siege of Madalore and aftermath.

A monkey's uncle says what?

The ROTS tie-in and aftermath seemed like something tailor-made for another TV movie to bookend the series.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

A monkey's uncle says what?

The ROTS tie-in and aftermath seemed like something tailor-made for another TV movie to bookend the series.

One of the things that the production team REALLY liked was exploring the Real World concept of religious organizations building over the holy sites of places they had conquered (there's already a nod to this in current SW where the Jedi Temple was converted into the Imperial Palace).  So one of the arcs was going to be the discovery that buried deep deep DEEEEEEEEP under the Jedi Temple was an ancient Sith Temple:

Spoiler

Return to the Jedi

Another arc discussed in "Ahsoka's Untold Tales" was one in which Ahsoka would have returned to the Jedi Temple when unknown entities were at work in the depths below the Temple that endangered the Jedi, most notably Yoda. Ahsoka joins her former allies to investigate the ruins of an ancient Sith Temple buried beneath the foundation of the Jedi Temple. The arc would have featured a brief but dangerous encounter between Ahsoka and Darth Sidious himself.

There was some concept art floating around last years Celebration in the Untold Ahsoka panel, including some that was very reminicent of Malachor.

More about this floating about, but the above covers the main points.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

One of the things that the production team REALLY liked was exploring the Real World concept of religious organizations building over the holy sites of places they had conqured.  So one of the arcs was going to be the discovery that buried deep deep DEEEEEEEEP under the Jedi Temple was an ancient Sith Temple:

Hide contents

There was some concept art floating around last years Celebration in the Untold Ahsoka panel, including some that was very reminicent of Malachor.

More about this floating about, but the above covers the main points.

Huh, interesting.

On a side note, located the story reels for the Bad Batch and Crystal Crisis arcs on Youtube. Might as well give them a look.

Don't think I'll shell out money though for the Darth Maul/Ventress print arcs.

• Like 1

@Porthos in hindsight Disney may have wanted to let Filoni finish the Crystal Crisis arc for release since it kinda ties in to Rogue One with the large Kyber Crystal. 

It seems kinda silly that Disney wouldn't let them finish this and Bad Batch. Since the Crystal Crisis arc is fully voiced, with all sound effects, and musical backing. They justed needed to finish the animation. I assume Bad Batch will be similar.

That would have given them 21 episodes, a full season.