rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

57. How to Train Your Dragon (2010) 21 points- 12 votes

"This is Berk. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three. Any food that grows here is tough and tasteless. The people that grow here are even more so. The only upsides are the pets. While other places have ponies or parrots... we have... dragons."

How_to_train_your_dragon_imax_poster.jpg

Long ago up North on the Island of Berk, the young Viking, Hiccup, wants to join his town's fight against the dragons that continually raid their town. However, his macho father and village leader, Stoik the Vast, will not allow his small, clumsy, but inventive son to do so. Regardless, Hiccup ventures out into battle and downs a mysterious Night Fury dragon with his invention, but can't bring himself to kill it. Instead, Hiccup and the dragon, whom he dubs Toothless, begin a friendship that would open up both their worlds as the observant boy learns that his people have misjudged the species. But even as the two each take flight in their own way, they find that they must fight the destructive ignorance plaguing their world.

Trivia: According to the audio commentary, when Hiccup, Astrid and Toothless are flying to Dragon Island and are surrounded by all the other dragons, one of the dragons is carrying Gloria, the hippo from Madagascar (2005).

Ruk's Comments

"Now that's more like it! How to Train Your Dragon is one of my favourite Western animated films ever and is yet another example (after Kung Fu Panda) or Dreamworks taking a title and concept that should be stupid and making it absolutely amazing. Outstanding animation, 3-dimensional characters, a story that shies away from the typical black-and-white morality most animated films have. A sequel that's nearly as good and actually builds upon the story! And John Powell's score is one of my favourite of all time.

All in all, a near perfect animated film."

• Like 12

What's surprising here is that TDKR placed #80 last year. Either this is the best argument against the new point system, or people are insane.

Less people voted this time around, so fewer people were able to push TDKR down.

• Like 2

up

spider-man 2

blade runner

titanic

dark knight rises

how to train your dragon

jesus H christ. none of these would make the top half of all films i've seen, let alone the top 100.

Boo. Blade Runner is one of the 10 best of all-time.

• Like 1

Now's the point where we start getting mostly populist films that have no place on a top 100 list.  (Blade Runner does, and I won't dispute Titanic even though I'm personally not a big fan)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2