Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

I just got home from work and decided since tomorrow is discount Tuesday I decided to see LLL  again and figured I better buy ticket tonight.

Well, I guess the effect of the GG wins has kicked in fast and strong, the 6:30 show tomorrow is already sold out.

I then checked another theater (it's actually closer to home but I don't like it as much) and the 7:05 show is sold out, but I managed to get a decent seat for the VIP 19+ show at 6:30, although it kind of defeats the purpose of discount Tuesday as a discounted ticket for the VIP 19+ screen is as much as a regular full price ticket.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

92d75e01d54dc112126aa90823fd005d.png

We're in the process of a modern classic being made.

Nah this will go down, especially after it wins Best Picture. I remember Birdman being around an 8.5 and then after it won Best Picture all of a sudden everyone said how it was overrated and it went below an 8. It's also a film that will play out far better in cinemas than at home because of the visuals so people watching it for the first time on a TV/laptop screen wont be as impressed and will rate it accordingly.

Edited by fnitte
  • Like 1

Well that was uh pretty damn good. Never more enjoyable than in its first hour, but never more interesting than in its second, when it gets more and more self-reflexive and self-referential and has a more and more active dialogue with itself. It's a film fundamentally built on contrast - between the reality and fantasy of relationships, the reality and fantasy of Hollywood, success and failure, the artificially created "movie magic" and the very real effect it has on people... with everyone involved here deliberately using mundane reality as fodder for their own moments of movie magic, only to have that reality undercut everything again. Yet the movie retains its own kind of magic through all of it.

Spoiler

It's got so much on its mind that it can't possibly develop every single idea to its conclusion, as a result Mia and Sebastian actual relationship in particular felt undercooked; aside from "A Lovely Night" (which happens about half an hour into the movie) and the planetarium scene, we basically just get a swift montage of hugs and kisses, and soon afterwards they are already having their big fight. I wanted some more details, more spontaneity to their story. (It could have been done at the expense of "Someone in the Crowd", which was fun but felt entirely inessential to the movie, even more so in its second half where the camera whirling in the swimming pool didn't actually let us see any of the choreography). Anyway, slight issues aside, it's fascinating and beautifully done, and I'll be seeing it again soon. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Well that was uh pretty damn good. Never more enjoyable than in its first hour, but never more interesting than in its second, when it gets more and more self-reflexive and self-referential and has a more and more active dialogue with itself. It's a film fundamentally built on contrast - between the reality and fantasy of relationships, the reality and fantasy of Hollywood, success and failure, the artificially created "movie magic" and the very real effect it has on people... with everyone involved here deliberately using mundane reality as fodder for their own moments of movie magic, only to have that reality undercut everything again. Yet the movie retains its own kind of magic through all of it.

Reveal hidden contents

Sadly, I don't share your opinion about any of this. :lol:

I thought it was fundamentally artificial in every way, imitating without understanding. Occasionally charming but mostly insufferable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sadly, I don't share your opinion about any of this. :lol:

I thought it was fundamentally artificial in every way, imitating without understanding. Occasionally charming but mostly insufferable.

All I see when I see Ryan Gosling: "Entitled douche who thinks he should have his own Jazz club. Wants to call it fucking 'Seb'"

And Mia has all the depth of a kiddie pool in terms of character. Disney movies are more complex than this.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

Just now, cannastop said:

All I see when I see Ryan Gosling: "Entitled douche who thinks he should have his own Jazz club."

And Mia has all the depth of a kiddie pool in terms of character. Disney movies are more complex than this.

I honestly never thought I'd say this, but Judy Hopp is a much better realization of pursuing your dreams. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

All I see when I see Ryan Gosling: "Entitled douche who thinks he should have his own Jazz club. Wants to call it fucking 'Seb'"

Yeah, the jazz club thing seemed kinda forced. Chazelle's writing definitely has the Millennial perspective of entitlement. Okay, put a roof over your head and food on the table before you worry about some grand business plan.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I honestly never thought I'd say this, but Judy Hopp is a much better realization of pursuing your dreams. 

Exactly!

Mia is just a stupid helpless waif. I'd like her more if she just gave any thought about what more she had to do to succeed. But all the time she's pushed along by the plot, and it's just by accident that she gets ahead. Movie seems to think that her getting a big gig and getting married is character development. It would be more interesting to see her still stuck in the same place, but wondering why she's still there.

Judy Hopps in Zootopia is 10 times more introspective.

• Like 2