CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Dumping cavil straight after the black Adam cameo is objectively hilarious. WB are so bad at this. 

You know we're not living in a Golden Age of comic book movies at least this year when we've been gifted with two movies (Morbius and Black Adam) with big mid-credits teases that are looking as if they will never be followed up on. Here's to a better 2023 for the genre!

9 hours ago, Cap said:

I am going to say this once and move on. 

If I was Cavill, I would be spite calling Feige right now about Hyperion. Squadron Supreme let’s Gooooooo. 

but I am a petty bitch like that. 

If I were Cavill, I'd probably just turn on my PC and play a shit ton of Warhammer

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Regardless of what the Snyder fans are screaming into the void, this was the best decision for the character. If they’d carried on with Cavill it’d always have had the baggage of BvS and two versions of JL with it, which would’ve limited its BO potential. This gives them a fresh slate.

If you’re a fan of Superman the character, this is good news.

Also, Cavill is less loved as Superman than Affleck was as Batman, and people still accepted Pattinson, so I doubt this will cause that much of an issue by the time the actual film comes out.

Cavill has fans and I feel for them. But his take was muddled by polarizing movies and bad management. In the long run, this is great news for his career because he's free to sign onto other projects.

As for the next actor who puts on the cape, I hope they get a better script.

• Like 1

This would not be generating anything close to the response that it is generating if they hadn't allowed what took place surrounding Black Adam to happen. It's comical PR blunder.

• Like 1

I love how you say you're looking at this in an unbiased manner, yet everyone knows you have always had INSANE takes about Superman. 

Any person with a brain knows that comparing Instagram likes and Twitter likes is asinine. Also, not a single Gunn tweet has been ratio'd, so there goes your negative response narrative.

Yes, this is a bummer for Henry and people who loved his version.

Yes, it appears I may have been wrong about a complete reboot.

But Gunn is a great writer, proven time and again. It will be fascinating to see what he writes for Superman, because I don't think he's written a character like him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I love how you say you're looking at this in an unbiased manner

100% unbiased no doubt. WB should never have brought HC back in BA and let DJ and co. tell the whole world if they were not going to commit to HC ala their commitment to Reeves and Todd Phillips. Simple as that. 

9 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

But Gunn is a great writer, proven time and again. It will be fascinating to see what he writes for Superman, because I don't think he's written a character like him.

Yep, and I also don’t buy the whole “Gunn’s tone won’t fit with Superman” as if Gunn is incapable of writing any other way. He’s an accomplished screenwriter who can no doubt write different genres and tones, not everything he does will have the tone of Peacemaker. And come on, the end of GOTG2 had people crying in the cinema, so clearly not everything he does is 100% zany. 

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

100% unbiased no doubt. WB should never have brought HC back in BA and let DJ and co. tell the whole world if they were not going to commit to HC ala their commitment to Reeves and Todd Phillips. Simple as that. 

Sure, I agree. But acting like this is some huge backlash is hilarious. Any backlash will blow over by January, and as soon as someone is hired as Director and Actor, only Snyder fanboys will care.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Yep, and I also don’t buy the whole “Gunn’s tone won’t fit with Superman” as if Gunn is incapable of writing any other way. He’s an accomplished screenwriter who can no doubt write different genres and tones, not everything he does will have the tone of Peacemaker. And come on, the end of GOTG2 had people crying in the cinema, so clearly not everything he does is 100% zany. 

GotG2 is still a pretty zany and irreverent film with poop and dick jokes. I would hope Gunn can stay away from that with Superman, but I don’t know if I believe he can. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

GotG2 is still a pretty zany and irreverent film with poop and dick jokes. I would hope Gunn can stay away from that with Superman, but I don’t know if I believe he can. 

Oh yeah definitely, I’m more meaning that the last 15 minutes or so of GOTG2 (and even the opening of GOTG1) proves that he’s capable of reigning in the zany tone when he needs to.

21 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Sure, I agree. But acting like this is some huge backlash is hilarious. Any backlash will blow over by January, and as soon as someone is hired as Director and Actor, only Snyder fanboys will care.

I guarantee that most general audiences will move on from Cavill and be like "Oh cool, a new Superman movie" when the trailer hits. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cax16 said:

you’re right, why would I wanna trust someone who’s probably read more comics then I have in my life and understands these characters probably better then most people. And btw I’ve read Superman comics for over 25 years. 

Gunn is a 1 trick pony since Gotg 2014 , you're low key blindsided by hope of reboot.

He's no Matt Reeves.

Gunn is literally recycling the same characters from a 2014 EVERYTIME with diminishing returns. 

But I think "real DC fans" are too busy reading comics to notice that...

Literally serving y'all MCU Leftovers for a reboot.

• Like 1

Just now, NamakFiskKa said:

Gunn is a 1 trick pony since Gotg 2014 , you're low key blindsided by hope of reboot.

He's no Matt Reeves.

Gunn is literally recycling the same characters from a 2014 EVERYTIME with diminishing returns. 

But I think "real DC fans" are too busy reading comics to notice that...

Literally serving y'all MCU Leftovers for a reboot.

I didn’t want a reboot so I’m not sure how I’m blindsided ? Maybe it’s you who’s blindsided by your dislike for Gunn

• Like 2

Come to think of it, didn’t Gunn mention a while back that he prefers writing for properties like the Guardians of the Galaxy and Peacemaker over the big names like Superman and Batman? Wasn’t it also previously claimed that he passed on directing a Superman movie in favor of the Suicide Squad? This comes off as an ironic turn of events. 

8 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I didn’t want a reboot so I’m not sure how I’m blindsided ? Maybe it’s you who’s blindsided by your dislike for Gunn

I think you're the one putting way too much stock on Gunn haha.

I don't want him anywhere near writing Legacy heroes given his past record.

12 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

He hasn't written anything worse than an 85% on RT in 8 years. (except for a vanity project)

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

I like him and think he’s a good writer, I can also respect the fact that you don’t like him. I’d just hope people who feel like you will still give the next movie a fair shake. 

• Like 1