CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Solo Superman films are legit. cursed with poor release dates. Stiff competition absolutely overwhelmed Superman Returns and Man of Steel.

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

F4 will be Legacy's third weekend. I don't see it being much of a factor. 

I still see SL ending up at the same place I did before: around 650M WW

Agreed. FF will have little if any impact on Legacy's box office. It's basic Fate will have been decided in the first two weekends.

Edited by dudalb

10 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Disney is targeting this film.  FF4 now on the 25th of July.  

Three weeks after a film opens is very bad targeting.

Guy, you seem to get upset if ANY DC film might have some competition.

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s increasingly sounding like that rumor about the Middle Eastern subplot was true, but that it was rewritten due to current events. 

I don’t know why superhero stories keep wanting to tackle the Middle East. They lack the depth and necessary time to do so. Now they have to scramble to change things now that violence there is finally being reported on (even if it’s often one-sided). Just looks bad, especially after the Scream fiasco.

46 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s increasingly sounding like that rumor about the Middle Eastern subplot was true, but that it was rewritten due to current events. 

I highly doubt James Gunn removed him from the film due to Palestine.

10 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I highly doubt James Gunn removed him from the film due to Palestine.

Gunn may not have removed him for being pro-Palestine. He said he was told it was because of script rewrites, which may very well be true.

All I know is that a bunch of scoopers (not just Grace Randolph) were claiming that the movie would involve a conflict in the Middle East, and there were apparently casting calls for a character who was described as a Middle Eastern dictator. I don’t think it’s a reach to assume that the movie really was going to involve the Middle East, but Gunn removed it some point after October 7th. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Also in case there was any doubt, Milly Alcock is politically active with her pro-Palestine stance so obviously Youssef's role wasn't written out for the reason he assumed it was

In fairness, I wouldn’t really consider signing a letter to be the same as going on TV and arguing with Piers Morgan about the issue. Youseff’s been far more outspoken about the issue than most other people in Hollywood

Anyway, now it’s being said that Youseff’s character was apparently removed before the strikes even happened, and thus, before October 7th. Interesting. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Because of that, I was cast in the movie, “Superman,” and then they told me, "We changed the script," after this Piers Morgan interview. I want to assume good faith. I want to know, I want to believe that this is true. I was a little bit bitter, and I wanted to go, I was like, "Oh, screw DC, screw Warner Bros." But then I understand, I understand the emotional burden that those people have. I mean, those people have a connection with Israel. I understand. For them, Israel is not a place, it's not just a country, it is an emotional connection because those people and their ancestors went through generational trauma that I understand. So for them, the whole world, when they give up on them, they have a place, a strong place that can defend them. So I understand that connection.

And I understand maybe the people who are in charge, that took the decision, looked at me and didn't want to have me. And maybe I understand. If I'm an Arab Muslim, I was the head of Warner Bros., I wouldn't like a pro-Zionist or a pro-Israel to be in my movie if he attacked my people. I understand. This is the thing that we need to dissect: when I attack Israel, I attack its policy, I'm not attacking Jewish people. I want to tell those people, "I'm not a danger to you." Because that dream, that idea that you long for, and it's important to have, the right-wing government in Israel has spoiled that dream. It has ruined it, and you should not feel obliged to continue supporting something that's so heinous and hideous.

Yeah, I’m more inclined to believe him over WB PR. He doesn’t sound bitter over it. Plus it makes no sense that they wrote him out before the writers strike in May and just didn’t tell him for so long. Can’t even chalk that up as a cute little coincidence.

• Like 3