CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why are they adding more heroes? 

Have they learned nothing? 

From everything I've heard about the film and the way Gunn seems to have set it up, it's essentially a Superman film in a DC universe that's already been established. They aren't going to be wasting time with origin stories or any kind of "this is what the universe is" stuff, so my guess is this is part of that.

Also from the characters they are choosing, the pitch for this seems to be "What if Superman was placed in the universe of The Boys". Guy Gardner, Mr. Terrific, and Hawkgirl are either dickheads (Gardner) or more pragmatic and willing to kill then Superman (Terrific and Hawkgirl), and with the rumors of the Authority also being in this which fits those descriptions makes me think those heroes are being used thematically to illustrated Superman as a heroic figure.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

No chance Gunn won't have him get decked by Batman at point before he gets killed, if ever

I never realized until now how much I would love it if they recreated that moment. 

Does it feel a bit sad to anyone that Batman is able to have a bajillion standalone movies that don’t involve other DC properties, but Superman can’t? This is going to be the first “solo” Superman movie in over a decade, and they’re already making a big deal out of how it’s going to set up a larger DC Universe, and how other notable DC heroes will be in it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does it feel a bit sad to anyone that Batman is able to have a bajillion standalone movies that don’t involve other DC properties, but Superman can’t? This is going to be the first “solo” Superman movie in over a decade, and they’re already making a big deal out of how it’s going to set up a larger DC Universe, and how other notable DC heroes will be in it. 

I’m not sad, if anything, I’m relieved. They are making the world of DCU already vibrant and alive, I don’t need yet another Superman ‘78, Superman Returns, Man of Steel or Gunn making his version of The Superman. That’s boring for me. I’m particularly intrigued because in the Post-Crisis era, Superman isn’t the first superhero. I do hope that Batman is referenced at least as an urban myth and eventually we get to him and the bat family too. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Another messy multiverse cinematic universe?

Nah, this is different. The premise of the film is that Superman is in a world that already has heroes that are a bit more jaded and cynical, so having other heroes around makes sense. Bet dollars to donuts the Authority are the main antagonists as well. Superman vs the Elite, but with the people the elite are parodies of

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Nah, this is different. The premise of the film is that Superman is in a world that already has heroes that are a bit more jaded and cynical, so having other heroes around makes sense. Bet dollars to donuts the Authority are the main antagonists as well. Superman vs the Elite, but with the people the elite are parodies of

I’m right there with you other than how looming The Authority’s presence will be:

https://www.threads.net/t/CufQkcfvxA_/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Gunn isn’t known for lying about his films, despite how this answer was construed.

Also I already love Fillion as Guy Gardner:

https://www.threads.net/t/Cuk3eTjv7zr/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.threads.net/t/Cuk5bbGvjrp/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

What I could potentially see as the reason for this film having some B list heroes of the DCU Pantheon is that instead of The Authority, they will be Earth’s first line of defense. The fact that we have two characters here with a cosmic angle (Hawkgirl and Green Lantern) makes me think that the whispers about Brainiac, Lobo or even a whole different alien threat altogether might be in play here.

Gunn is getting weird, and that’s hardly the first time that he was doubted before. I mean, I do remember people asking if a talking tree, a raccoon, Dave Bautista and a green lady could ever work. And yet here we are.

2 hours ago, Eric Stickell said:

Rolled my eyes at these new hero announcements. Good to know these movies are just going to be endless set-up for other movies and characters. Guess I expected too much to just have a regular ol' Superman movie.

Ehh. Much too soon to know. Imagine a longer version of X-Men 1. It can work fine if it is handled well. BIG IF though.