17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I wrote this review for a local website but here's an excerpt:

Truth be told, The Book of Life is jam-packed with many subplots and themes that it was in danger of becoming an overstuffed mess. But thankfully, skillful direction and vibrant animation prevented the movie from going off the rails. The Book of Life tells a charming tale that fuses cultural myth and heartwarming personal saga so effectively that only a heart made of stone will not fall for its charms. The depiction of the two realms, The Land of the Remembered and The Land of the Forgotten, was so rich that you could clearly see and feel the passion behind it. Having the similar All Souls Day, the Mexicans' Day of the Dead will definitely strike a chord to Filipino moviegoers as its message, of honoring our deceased loved ones by celebrating their lives, resonates to us.

Even if the plot revolves around a love triangle, The Book of Life manages to shake things up by making Maria a spirited woman who fights for her cause. And while Manolo is the obvious leading man, his romantic rival Joaquin did not go to the predictable antagonist route. The movie's attempt to add a contemporary style to their age-old setting was also commendable as they did it with such confidence that it didn't feel forced at all. A Latin-flavored rendition of famous songs such as Radiohead's Creep and Elvis Presley's Can't Help Falling In Love might sound horrifying at first but the treatment and timing were so perfect that the end results were simply charming.

• Like 2

I really liked it until around the last third. First two-thirds were creative, with gorgeous animation. Sure, it was following a classic story, but it was simply too cute with good music and enjoyable characters for me to be annoyed by its somewhat genericness. It's a shame the finale blows the load by being generic animated movie action, but it's still an excellent little treat. A-

• Like 1

I just can't believe this got so overlooked. It was one of the best, funniest, most heart-warming animations I've ever seen, The style was so unique and the soundtrack was the best in any animation in a long, long time. Pices like "The Apology Song" or "I Love You Too Much" are soo much better than most of these song from animated movies that become mainstream (cough*** Let It Go*** cough).

And the story. So damn beautiful, with relatable, believable characters and that in an animation, which is incredibly hard to achive. Plus a moral behind it.

A+

• Like 2

I could have done without the bookend pieces but I liked it much more than Lego, Dragon 2 and Boxtrolls. Really good characterization from lead to support to villains and antagonists. I loved the unique animation in this, particularity in the underworld.  I'd have preferred they not use pop songs (except maybe Elvis) especially when they had songs like this (which should have been nominated and won the Oscar) which also enhanced the best scene of the film.

• Like 1

Utter crap and unwatchable. Who the hell wrote that God-awful screenplay?

F

EDIT:

So I just tried to watch it again, and actually, if you overlook the pathetic attempt at comedy, it's not that bad. Story is decent and visuals are spectacular.

B-, quite a bump from F, I know...I was kinda angry the first time. :D

Edited by lolifofo