CJohn

My Little Pony: The Movie | Oct 6 2017 | Emily Blunt. Sia joins voice cast.

2 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I don't think you could convince many non-brony adults to go see this, especially in theaters, no matter how good the reviews are.

Might be the case at the outset, but I think once the fears of crazy fanboys subside after the opening weekend they might be more willing to give it a shot. Could certainly work as a date night movie the same way a Disney/Pixar film does (and a reception approaching that caliber doesn't seem out of the question from the looks of it)

• Like 1

I think the marketing budget is just not comparable to a modern blockbuster so they try focusing it where it counts for them. This cannot be compared to other life action toy franchises for which i bet huge marketing machines were in place. I guess The Nutjob or Winnie the Pooh would be a comparison budget and marketing wise? Anybody remember how much presence those had in non kids focused media?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Might be the case at the outset, but I think once the fears of crazy fanboys subside after the opening weekend they might be more willing to give it a shot. Could certainly work as a date night movie the same way a Disney/Pixar film does (and a reception approaching that caliber doesn't seem out of the question from the looks of it)

yeah, if it is really good and connects with people it certainly can break out. But i do not think that initial full on marketing would really help with this. This has to grow through word of mouth which, if it really takes off, can be supported by later official marketing pushes. 

There has been a pretty good ancillary push here compared to similarly lower-budget animated movies. I know Cinemark and McDonald's have been and I've seen a decent share of product tie-ins at Wal-Mart.

Also its most recent trailer has over four times as many views as Coco's released the same week.

Edited by tribefan695

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

There has been a pretty good ancillary push here compared to similarly lower-budget animated movies. I know Cinemark and McDonald's have been and I've seen a decent share of product tie-ins at Wal-Mart.

Also its most recent trailer has over four times as many views as Coco's released the same week.

That does sound promising... btw, when will the review embargo be lifted?

Oh, and for those interested. Here is a short "making of" they aired recently (does contain a few spoilers)

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I just can't see how any male would watch this. Even If someone was intrested, he would supress it. 

It sucks but that's how society works.

Can't see it working even as a date movie as well. 

Ummmm, who do you think Bronies are?:)  They are an entire subculture of MLP fans, and I'm betting they will show up for this movie...now, they aren't gonna make a double digit dent, but a couple mil is a couple mil:)...

https://thoughtcatalog.com/rob-fee/2014/05/21-things-you-didnt-know-about-bronies/

7 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I just can't see how any male would watch this. Even If someone was intrested, he would supress it. 

I think the biggest obstacle this movie has is that the whole thing gives off a vibe of "for fans only" (I've seen clips from the show and the animation in the movie doesn't look necessarily improved from what is shown on TV). Odd as the comparison may sound at first, it gives off a similar vibe to that flop Entourage movie a few years back. I doubt anyone's on the fence as to whether or not they will see this.

25 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I do agree that this hurdle is certainly quite a bit higher when compared to stuff like Frozen (which probably hit nearly all demographics) because the ponies are in many minds really a pure little-girl toy-franchise whereas the Disney Princesses are much more accepted by the general public (though it is an even bigger little girl toy franchise). I guess the main characters not being human is part of the reason for this (though Zootopia showed that that is also not always an issue)... still, i really do hope that it is at least somewhat successful with respect to its budget. And well... if it does break out against all the odds, it would just show that friendship truly is magic :P (i will show myself out now)

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 1

This is a Hasbro production. If you look at their track record, every single movie Hasbro has ever produced were nothing but Hollywood garbage that was either a product placement for brands (any given Transformer film) or a giant middle finger to its source material (Jem & the Holograms). But God forbid anybody ****s up 'My Little Pony.' If you are a fan of ‘MLP: FiM,’ this movie is the equivalent to the 2004’s 'The Spongebob Squarepants Movie’ for you. Just like that film, you have an adaptation honest to the series that it was based on by not only having the crew and cast that made the show special but by also integrating the humor, heart, and charm to this epic scale of an adventure that tests our lead characters and allowing them to grow.

DKh2OCPVYAAM0Sl.jpg

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//my-little-pony-the-movie-review

Edited by rjones1325
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

I do agree that this hurdle is certainly quite a bit higher when compared to stuff like Frozen (which probably hit nearly all demographics) because the ponies are in many minds really a pure little-girl toy-franchise whereas the Disney Princesses are much more accepted by the general public (though it is an even bigger little girl toy franchise). I guess the main characters not being human is part of the reason for this (though Zootopia showed that that is also not always an issue)... still, i really do hope that it is at least somewhat successful with respect to its budget. And well... if it does break out against all the odds, it would just show that friendship truly is magic :P (i will show myself out now)

I hope it breaks out, even with the low theater count, because the MLP brand has actually become really good. Friendship is Magic is how you do a toy commercial TV show right, and the movie looks like it might actually be good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The One Direction movie drew 87% female and 65% under 17 on opening weekend. That seems like a fair comparison.

I think one direction is more a movie girls want to see without their parents and little brothers... so i think it might not skew that extreme with respect to age and gender. But yes, it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

• Like 1

The cast going "Wait, this is smarter than I thought it was," is hilarious.

It seemed like for so long that's what people were talking about in reference to Friendship is Magic - and then it settled as a subculture and mainstream media moved on.

I'm more interested in seeing this in person instead of waiting at home than I was for Ninjago (Which I still haven't seen and at this rate, probably won't).

YMMV on whether it's better but the animation style is certainly different from the show. Sense I'm getting from reactions is that it plays a lot better in full context and on the big screen. Some clips of the songs have been released and the animation looks very fluid in them imo.

Frankly, was there any way this wasn't going to give off a "fans only" vibe? It could have Avatar level visuals and men would still be resistant to seeing it. This was always going to need some nudging beyond its own marketing to have mainstream success.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Regarding the animation style. I think they went for fluidity and character expressiveness while trying to keep the somewhat simplistic flash look. Btw, they did switch to a more complex/powerful animation software for the movie. I think they got this to work very very nicely and it plays to the strengths of hand drawn animation. I love that they did not go full on 3D CGI... when was the last time a US handdrawn movie has been released wide? 

Oh, and since this is a full blown musical it would be fun if it got an oscar nomination for best song :)

I havent really kept up with what would be current frontrunners in that category... but SIA did also do the WW song right?

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 1

Coco's songs are probably going to get the lion's share of the attention for animated movies. Sia's song for this is a step up from Try Everything but I think it's still a little too simplistic and poppy for the Academy's taste, and none of Ingram's songs really fall into the soulful showstopper category that appeals to the Oscars.

The idea of Ashleigh Ball dressing up like Rainbow Dash to perform "Time to Be Awesome" live does amuse me, though.

Edited by tribefan695