CJohn

My Little Pony: The Movie | Oct 6 2017 | Emily Blunt. Sia joins voice cast.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:32 PM, filmlover said:

The One Direction movie drew 87% female and 65% under 17 on opening weekend. That seems like a fair comparison.

I'd actually counter to think most 70% female, simply because of the brony fanbase and that the audience will be small enough for them to shift the percent.

On 10/2/2017 at 0:02 AM, tribefan695 said:

Coco's songs are probably going to get the lion's share of the attention for animated movies. Sia's song for this is a step up from Try Everything but I think it's still a little too simplistic and poppy for the Academy's taste, and none of Ingram's songs really fall into the soulful showstopper category that appeals to the Oscars.

The idea of Ashleigh Ball dressing up like Rainbow Dash to perform "Time to Be Awesome" live does amuse me, though.

Oh right Coco is Pixars first musical? So i guess chances are pretty slim if they are successful with this. Though we already had years with two animated entries. frozen/despicable me 2 and moana/trolls... seems like for those two one is a pop piece that can run on the radio and the other one a typical musical song, so probably not exactly comparable to this years entries. 

And yeah, "Time to be Awsome" live would be fun... wonder if Zoe Saldanas part would be done by somebody else (she does have a pretty good voice).

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 1

Everyone I know, in regards to this film:

#1 "I don't want to see this. It's for girls."

#2 "I'm too old to watch this."

#3 "I really want to see it, but I'm worried about what people will think of me."

#4 "I want to see it, but it'll be on the web soon enough."

1 Isn't difficult to comprehend. 2 I guess makes sense. But at #3, many of you (myself included) enjoy watching films with men and women beating the hell out of each other in colorful tights. Are talking ponies really so different? And I'm not even going to talk about #4.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 4

Just now, cannastop said:

Probably because it's an AMC.

it's a Cinemark. They're currently undergoing renovations (half of the 20 screens are shut down because they're putting in recliners) and have to be selective of what they show (Blade Runner and The Mountain Between Us are from Big 6 studios, which MLP is not, therefore I'm sure they had the option to not get it).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Everyone I know, in regards to this film:

#1 "I don't want to see this. It's for girls."

#2 "I'm too old to watch this."

#3 "I really want to see it, but I'm worried about what people will think of me."

#4 "I want to see it, but it'll be on the web soon enough."

1 Isn't difficult to comprehend. 2 I guess makes sense. But at #3, many of you (myself included) enjoy watching films with men and women beating the hell out of each other in colorful tights. Are talking ponies really so different? And I'm not even going to talk about #4.

I don't want to see it.  It looks gag worthy, I'm definitely not the target demo, and I would be subjecting myself to public humiliation for stepping into the theater for any reason.

It's one of those animated movies you'll be judged for seeing if you aren't a parent of a 3-10 year old girl (and even then you probably still will be).  If you don't understand why, you should pay attention to culture.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I don't want to see it.  It looks gag worthy, I'm definitely not the target demo, and I would be subjecting myself to public humiliation for stepping into the theater for any reason.

It's one of those animated movies you'll be judged for seeing if you aren't a parent of a 3-10 year old girl (and even then you probably still will be).  If you don't understand why, you should pay attention to culture.

Yeah, I do. I just don't care what people think. It's always confused me that others do care so much.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Yeah, I do. I just don't care what people think. It's always confused me that others do care so much.

I mean you do you, but how other people perceive you is pretty important.  

I believe in being authentic to yourself, but sometimes it's good to realize being to authentic has social consequences.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Blame it on society for instilling an idea (oftentimes a toxic one, more often than not) of what being a "real man" is, if you must.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I mean you do you, but how other people perceive you is pretty important.  

I believe in being authentic to yourself, but sometimes it's good to realize being to authentic has social consequences.

To an extent, I agree. But anybody willing to make a big deal over an adult man watching a movie with talking ponies probably has too much time on their hands or doesn't have anything interesting to focus on.

Either way, in my case I'm not going alone anyway. This is something my niece has been going bonkers over since previews have been shown on television, and nobody else wants to take her (which makes me quite sad). So I'm taking her to see it. If people judge, then it's not really my business what they think of me.

• Like 2

Review embargo apparently isn't lifted until Thursday for most critics. 

Honestly, after watching the first half hour through means I'm not proud of (I did buy an advance ticket so they got my money regardless), I'm a lot less hopeful for this. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Haha 1

I think part of the problem with this possibly breaking out is actually the bronies. For... well, for worse, really, they've achieved an air about them that's pretty toxic for any other possibly curious adults from viewing it.

I mean, I still watch and enjoy the show, even though it's more of a background noise thing, but, jeez, the fan culture is so bad I really don't do anything beyond that. Which is kinda sad, because it's pretty impressive how much they've resisted catering directly to the bronies.

We could see some really strange weekend breakdowns, though. Like, possibly large Thursday previews (if they exist), when the hardcore bronies come out, and then an otherwise weak Friday matinee period (because school), with some strong Friday evenings (for bronies again), good Saturday and Sunday Matinees, but possibly weaker evenings for those as the hardcore fans would be sated.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Review embargo apparently isn't lifted until Thursday for most critics. 

Honestly, after watching the first half hour through means I'm not proud of (I did buy an advance ticket so they got my money regardless), I'm a lot less hopeful for this. 

Yeah that review embargo is worrying. This could underperform, bronies or no bronies, and reviews aren't looking so great, or at least Lionsgate doesn't have faith in it. That and the low theater count doesn't help either. I'm not expecting much for the film this weekend. 

On 07/07/2017 at 7:01 PM, AJG said:

This strikes me as one of those movies that's gonna get released in cinemas and be online in HD less than a week after. One of those kinda cheap films.

Hey I was kinda right....

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Blame it on society for instilling an idea (oftentimes a toxic one, more often than not) of what being a "real man" is, if you must.

It's less about being a "real man" and more of realizing the demographic the media is really meant for.  It's definitely weird for parents to take their young girls to a movie that's supposed to be meant for them, and then wind up in a theater half filled with adult single men.  The connotation behind it is simply off-putting.

There's also the sense that there's some things you'd expect people to age past.  I understand this isn't as true as it used to be.  But it makes me think of the bounce house and toy store from episode 1 of Master of None.  If you're a man in your mid-30s there are definitely issues and social irregularities for playing in the toy store and jumping in the bounce house with the children.

9 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

To an extent, I agree. But anybody willing to make a big deal over an adult man watching a movie with talking ponies probably has too much time on their hands or doesn't have anything interesting to focus on.

Either way, in my case I'm not going alone anyway. This is something my niece has been going bonkers over since previews have been shown on television, and nobody else wants to take her (which makes me quite sad). So I'm taking her to see it. If people judge, then it's not really my business what they think of me.

If you're taking your niece you'll be fine.

I'm fully prepared for the inevitable egg on my face here. I think what I did was a necessary evil to blunt the mental anguish that would have come if I didn't.

Really felt this would be the franchise's chance to prove itself worthy of appreciation in the mainstream and show that its fans weren't all creeps but just people who really enjoyed what I still think is a great TV series (and rebingeing it these past few months has only reenforced that feeling). Unfortunately it looks like it's going to stay on the fringes.

• Haha 1

For some reason our earliest showings at all theaters is 7 PM. Talk about betting on the periphery demographic for those Thursday showings. Even Valerian started at 5 on Thursday.

Also I bought the Tempest Shadow Funko today :ph34r:

• Like 1