Birdman (2014)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Keaton is fantastic and Norton in entertainingly sociopathic (in this year of film sociopaths it's a rarity). I liked the feel (though not a reality) of it being one long take and the is it happening or it in his mind aspects but the reality parts felt less real than the fantasy because the reality is so grotesque, irrational, and unpleasant. On what it says about art, artists and celebrity it seemed muddled at times, often veering more into the smug and condescending than the satirical.

Regarding performance and technicals it's an A but I admired it more than I enjoyed it.

So I don't know - an A-/B+?  I really dislike the 5 choices we get for grading, reducing films to grades is difficult enough but making it just five levels makes it a pain.

• Like 2

The more I think about this, the less I like it (Keaton and tech aspects aside).

That's cause you have no taste in film.  I mean you think the Hobbits are great films.  :)

• Like 3

This was my text to tele after seeing it.

Just saw Birdman. Fantastic movie but even moreso Keaton gives a performance up there with the greatest of all time. Ledger from TDK Day Lewis from TWBB...And so on....hes absolutely on that level. Im stunned. Im not tech savvy enough to know how they pulled this off but its one hell of a movie! If Keaton doesnt win this year the winner should just turn around and give it to him

I still think Keaton should win but if Cooper was to take it home, I wouldn't be disappointed.

I accept most scenarios in the film as the angry/confused/frustrated/impotent outward projections of Birdman/Riggan's fractured psyche/neurosis. I think it works wonderfully if taken as such... But, aside from a few beautiful moments of truth and some quiet, humbling moments alone with Riggan and his ex-wife, it's certainly a frantic, bitter, angry film.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

There were two different points where I thought the film had wrapped up an ending (when he jumps off the roof, when he shoots himself onstage) but then it continued onward.

I think the group that gets it the worst in the criticism is actually the critics.

• Like 1

Yea, it's a decent film that's far more impressive for its technical qualities than its storytelling. My favorite scenes were easily the ones between Stone and Norton - the truth or dare games felt very realistic and genuine. But aside from that and a handful of noteworthy scenes, it didn't really grab me.

B-

Edited by Noctis