Birdman (2014)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This movie was fucking spectacularly made. I was amazed at Lubezki's work. Best cinematography I've seen in a long time. I gotta give it up to the editors as well. The way they seamlessly cut the supernatural parts (i.e. when the camera moves from him to throwing the vase against the wall) was unbelievable. I need to see it again, as I feel I wasn't in the proper state of mind to fully appreciate it, but I'd give it an A- for now, knowing a second viewing will definitely bump it up to an A. Keaton and Norton are fantastic, with Keaton easily having the best performance this year, pending Carell in Foxcatcher. 

• Like 2

The thing about this movie is that it would have been so easy, so freaking easy, to go the route of a generic mental breakdown that consumes Riggan in a dark, brooding manner as the film progressed (Given Inarritu's past works, it wouldn't have even been that surprising), but that's where the beauty of the film lies.

We see Riggan's perspective and he serves as our guide to this bizarre world, where most of the characters are dysfunctional and almost personify the extremes of the Riggan's own thoughts, as well as the general themes of the movie (particularly Norton and Stone). It's not a movie that goes for easy answers, nor does it particularly put anyone in the right. These are all screwed-up characters, possibly emphasized through Riggan's own views of them, but they try to make the best of their situations and get by with what they have. There isn't a truly unsympathetic character in this. In this scene, the ensemble almost embodies a microcosm of the world of art and entertainment, if not humanity. 

I mentioned it was a bit like Her in terms of box office potential in the thread, but there are honestly quite a few more similarities than that, despite the edgier tone contrasted with the warmth of Her. There are definitely satirical elements in each film, but the messages ultimately resort to elements of the human condition and making sense of contemporary society, through the lenses of technology and entertainment respectively. 

Seriously, I fucking love this movie so much.

• Like 6

You have an excellent voice Blank.  That review is about the best review for any film I've ever read.  Well done sir.

Thank you! I used to write reviews in my high school newspaper, but haven't really written any extensively until this film. Really great movie that I needed to write more than usual to express my opinion.

On another note, my favorite exchange of the movie:

"Uh, get Woody Harrelson!"

"He's doing another Hunger Games."

"Michael Fassbender?"

"He's doing the prequel to the X-Men prequel."

"Jeremy Renner?"

"WHO?"

"The guy from that Hurt Locker movie."

"Oh that guys. He's an Avenger."

IDK, I just kept on laughing at the frustration of both characters during this exchange :lol:

• Like 8

I just got home from seeing this so I can't give a full review, but it was really really good. It's easily in my top five movies of the year, if not higher.

A

Edited by 75live

The movie is actually name dropping actors and franchises ??

So bold, so meta, so deep.

What a brave commentary on current Hollywood.

Oh and Keaton was Batman ! That s clever casting right there.

Methinks you didn't like it :P

I don't have much more to add to what already has been said about the film.  However, I did enjoy almost every aspect of it.  The writing was superb, the interactions and acting was very good as well.

I enjoyed how it was filmed and made with the long single shots.  I thought it gave the movie a different, chaotic feel that went with the whole story.

Now for if he has the powers or not, the movie is ambiguous about that.  When he flies around the city, they purposely show, he really just got back to the theater in a taxi.  But at the end with the daughter, you can see her looking up and smiling as if she sees him flying around.  I can go either way about whether he has them or not, but I choose to believe he didn't really have any powers until the end.  Either option, of him not having them or having them works for me, so it wouldn't ruin the story to me if he didn't have them.

Michael Keaton was extraordinary and so far from what I have seen, he is far and away should be the award winner.  I know I haven't seen all the performances yet, but he is my frontrunner right now.

and on a funny note, on Friday, I saw Batman '89 in the theater and then this was the next movie I saw since then.

My grade is still an A

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

I like how last year people were claiming 2013 was one of the best years ever with Gravity and 12YAS (as well as others).

Then this year comes along and we have Birdman, Boyhood, a ton of acclaimed blockbusters, Interstellar, Gone Girl, etc.

Such a great year for film and one of the best in a long time. What feels even greater is this is the third year in a row I have said that.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 4

Cuaron: My opening shot in Gravity was 17 minutes long.

Inarritu: BITCH, PLEASE!

A weird, unique, and highly enjoyable satire. I don't feel like anything I say can accurately describe what it's like to experience this film.

The irony is that they have the same cinematographer.

• Like 3

I loved the movie. Expertly directed and one of the most unique pictures of the year. Moves with a kinetic energy with fantastic dialogue and great themes. That being said, Keaton is GREAT.....but one of the best ever? Don't see it. Just for this year, I'd put Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler and Hardy in Locke above him, with Imitation Game coming tomorrow. A very compelling performance and does a great job controlling the movie, but I feel the direction moves the picture more than Keaton. He's certainly Oscar nom worthy, but I'm not sure I get the annointment of him as the clear best.

That being said, having not yet seen Simmons in Whiplash, Norton WOULD be my best supporting actor if voting was today. THAT is a powerhouse performance. Unbelievably compelling and insanely watchable. I'm ashamed to admit I'd forgotten how talented he is. Would have no beef with Stone winning, either. Amazing job by her.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

Saw this on Thanksgiving. Loved it! It was much funnier than I expected. Keaton, Norton, and Stone were all excellent in their roles. The "one long take" aspect of it was really cool. Amazing how they put it all together. I thought the 1992 reference (Keaton's last Batman movie) was a nice touch.

I really enjoyed the commentary on different aspects of the movie industry: egotistical actors/directors, egotistical critics, and the box office machine of today's formulaic franchises. It seemed to go after pretty much everyone, which is great.

A (9.5/10)

• Like 3

Saw this on Thanksgiving. Loved it! It was much funnier than I expected. Keaton, Norton, and Stone were all excellent in their roles. The "one long take" aspect of it was really cool. Amazing how they put it all together. I thought the 1992 reference (Keaton's last Batman movie) was a nice touch.

I really enjoyed the commentary on different aspects of the movie industry: egotistical actors/directors, egotistical critics, and the box office machine of today's formulaic franchises. It seemed to go after pretty much everyone, which is great.

A (9.5/10)

Those commentaries coming from one of the most emotionnally manipulative directors of its time, that s rich.

Edited by The Futurist

Those commentaries coming from one of the most emotionnally manipulative directors of its time, that s rich.

Part of what's interesting about Birdman is that the director, not totally unlike Eastwood with Unforgiven, is revising himself, poking fun at his past transgressions. The NYT critic in print lauding the play for it's "super-realism" is comment on the superhero genre and, likely, a poke at Inarritu himself. You saw it, right? Or, are you railing against it just because?

On a separate note, I'd have loved if Pacino played the critic and Kilmer in Zach G's role.

• Like 2

There's so much to unpack in Birdman that a review cannot really do it justice, but to sum the film up as succinctly as possible, it's a wild and wickedly enjoyable ride. A viewer can easily get the sense that writer-director Alejandro Gonzalez Inaritu has an ax to grind with Hollywood blockbuster culture and the critics who picked and pulled at his lofty ambitions in his previous films, but the film's sharp satire still blends effectively and paradoxically with its sensitive portrayal of its characters. Because Inaritu writes and directs his players as multi-dimensional characters rather than just caricatures for comedy, the film resonates on an emotional level just as effectively as it does on comedic and aesthetic ones. Obviously, much has been made of the casting of Michael Keaton as a once-famous actor who found little financial success after playing a popular superhero, but it's no mere meta casting stunt. Rather, Keaton gives the best and most effortlessly nuanced performance of his career, as his abilities with comedy and low-key character development are applied to masterful effect. Edward Norton also leaves an indelible impression in his best performance in years, which, like Keaton's, is fleshed out well enough that it's not just a casting gimmick. Emma Stone also has a handful of knockout scenes as Keaton's daughter that represent by far her best dramatic work to date. Everyone in the cast appears loose, at ease, and at the top of his or her game, and the cinematography and editing expertly increase the feeling of audience intimacy and give the film about as much of a stage-like setting as one could accomplish in this medium. More than just a gimmick on multiple levels, Birdman is one of the most richly satisfying viewing experiences of the year so far, and sure to finish among the cream of this year's cinematic crop.

A

• Like 1

So cute, so charming, so talented.

And boy directors are gaga about her, Inaritu, Allen twice, Cameron Crowe, Broadway, she s definitely erasing names from her dream director s to work with bucket list now ...

Wish Jlaw had the same opportunities to be honest... Allen mentionned that he wanted to do something with Jlaw at least but I guess schedules conflicts prevent this to happen... he refered to her as tha girl that does all these DOR movies ...

Edited by The Futurist

first of all lol @ you bringing up jlaw in this thread. second she probably, definitely had the same opportunities as stone if not better, it's about taking them. she's only done franchise movies and O. Russell movies the last couple years (even if that's not the case it's what it feels like)

• Like 2