grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

Well, that's a big downer…  :(

Oh come on don't let him influencing you that way, it's still very satisfying and with all the praise it got you can be sure legs will be great, don't forget : for this kind of movie legs are much more important than the OW, Frozen knows that very well :P

• Like 5

Interstellar will make no more than slightly above 500m probably. Making it a hit but not a huge one as advertising budgets should be big. 

It's going to be solidly unprofitable for Paramount -- at least theatrically. Probably it'll make its money back down the road though.

• Like 1

Yeah, the BH6 OW feels very anticlimactic after all the Frozen momentum WDA had. But totally different appeal between the two I suppose.

I don't know though, why people expected the Frozen momentum to carry over to any WDA movie that isn't Frozen.  Frozen was a category unto itself.  If Frozen had done numbers like Tangled or WiR would BH6's opening look bad then?

I mean Frozen reached a larger audience than most normal blockbusters, much less an animated/family one.  BH6's number may not be huge, but it's certainly not bad.  It's opening above WiR and I expect its legs to be slightly better.

I think your use of the word "anticlimactic" says a lot about the unrealistic expectations people had based on Frozen's supposed 'push' for future Disney films.   56m is pretty darn good for an animated film!

Edited by Sal
  • Like 5

I don't know though, why people expected the Frozen momentum to carry over to any WDA movie that isn't Frozen.  Frozen was a category unto itself.  If Frozen had done numbers like Tangled or WiR would BH6's opening look bad then?

I mean Frozen reached a larger audience than most normal blockbusters, much less an animated/family one.  BH6's number may not be huge, but it's certainly not bad.  It's opening above WiR and I expect its legs to be slightly better.

It's not bad, but look at both Disney's 90's renaissance and Pixar's '00 renaissance. They were able to parlay their big success from film to film for awhile even though none of the movies were directly related. Granted if we're calling Frozen the TLK of the new Disney renaissance, then it is following the pattern correctly for BH6 to drop off big ala Pocahontas.

• Like 1

That's all that matters, in the end.

Well yeah because interstellar making 50M or 60M really doesn't do anything for me. I'm still poor regardless. At least I can enjoy the Blu Ray which will be fucking amazing on my 75 inch Samsung.

• Like 1

Also I wonder if another 'Princess' movie had come out instead of BH6, if it would have had a worse time.  Better opening weekend, sure, but I think it would have suffered far more direct comparisons to Frozen and that might have hurt its legs in the long run.  It was a good thing that they spaced out Frozen and Moana.

Actually, I think if

Matt Damon and McConaughey had switched roles

the movie very probably would've been better.

Although that's an interesting idea, I have to disagree as McConaughey was excellent.

:P

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 2

The BH6 Saturday jump is actually smaller than expected, I really thought a 60% jump or so would put it at 26M Saturday and then a 16M Sunday would have meant a 58M weekend. Now it looks like a weekend of 55M. Interstellar has an outside chance at 50M. 

BH6 not showing that big a growth over WiR, and Interstellar falling from Inception.

BH6 had bigger previews than WIR. Without previews the $14.4 to $23.7 is a 65% jump.  W/e should be 15% above WIR and with the same legs it would make $217m. I think it might have stronger ones.

• Like 6

47 is solid, a lot to work with it from there.  BH6 I think will actually surprise and do 200+ now. Great start.

Hoping St. Vincent will rise enough (Obviously Sat will be lower) for another sub 25% drop.  Get Murray that oscar already!

• Like 2