grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

there may also be a sampling issue: which forums you check? on these forums, there are many Nolanites and pro-Nolan posters. some of them tend to be vocal, creating the sense of consensus. also, those who're indifferent to Nolan's works probably still don't see the movie to form any opinion yet. 

We have a website about movies and TV shows called Allociné but I stopped visiting their forums because they're full of arrogant and insulting people with no respect for people disagreeing with their tastes (elitist tastes, blockbusters are pure crap for them) so I read their opinion on forums having a cinema section despite they're on websites specialized in other matters such as international news, videogames or mangas. People are more casual there and more representative of the general audience.

Yeah, even if this movie posted a loss (which I highly doubt worldwide), Nolan would still be in a pretty good position. Studios don't throw away a director with his track record for one "miss." Shyamalan still gets big budget greenlights from his days as a huge box office draw, which have long been over.

I can't believe this is being discussed - and I'm not even the biggest Nolan fangirl. He'll be fine. Hopefully, this (very, very relative) failure will motivate and enlighten him. He's a smart guy.

Positive fact for IS fans : In Russia IS was expected to do $6.5m OW based on its OD but it recovered on Friday and Saturday so $8.5m OW is reachable, that's good to see that.

Edited by Fullbuster

Positive fact for IS fans : In Russia IS was expected to do $6.5m OW based on its OD but it recovered on Friday and Saturday so $8.5m OW is reachable, that's good to see that.

wow in Rubel that is about 50% more than Inception did

• Like 1

wow in Rubel that is about 50% more than Inception did

Yeah that's very good, the exchange rate is horrible (the Rouble is in freefall against the US dollar) so we can't see that in $ but Russia likes the movie that's for sure.

South Korea loves it even more.

For the 4th time, this opened right around what other comparable films did.  Prometheus and Gravity are the two most immediate films.  They opened a bit higher but also had 3D.  A 48 mill opening isn't massive but considering the subject I'd say it's expected.

Nolan on his way down?  

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

• Like 11

I'm with baumer here ... this is no actioner and no crowd-pleaser and no superhero movie. It's an ok opening - the thing which troubles me though is that somehow it seems pretty frontloaded (same trend in Germany, btw). That's a bit strange for a brainy SF with adult audiences - and if it's really dropping hard next weekend, then we might talk about "what went wrong".

• Like 2

For the 4th time, this opened right around what other comparable films did.  Prometheus and Gravity are the two most immediate films.  They opened a bit higher but also had 3D.  A 48 mill opening isn't massive but considering the subject I'd say it's expected.

Nolan on his way down?  

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

come on!!

Gravity and Inception were the yardsticks for the success of Interstellar

47-48  <  56  <  63

is simply a poor showing

come on!!

Gravity and Inception were the yardsticks for the success of Interstellar

47-48  <  56  <  63

is simply a poor showing

Only for people with unrealistic expectations.

So Frozen had zero impact on BH6's opening weekend. BH6 and Wreck It Ralph have almost the exact same OW. :blink:

Why should a Princess-movie's success have an impact on the performace of a SuperHero-movie?

(just because the same studio made it?)

and they are both animated?

• Like 2

I'm with baumer here ... this is no actioner and no crowd-pleaser and no superhero movie. It's an ok opening - the thing which troubles me though is that somehow it seems pretty frontloaded (same trend in Germany, btw). That's a bit strange for a brainy SF with adult audiences - and if it's really dropping hard next weekend, then we might talk about "what went wrong".

I think that the BO here is mostly fan-drive, so frontloaded would make sense

Wow, some people definition of "smashing hit " is weird . Oh and yeah I was wrong about inception but I remembered the hype for that too (biggest movie ever blahblablah) and I forgot its actual numbers . Big budget movies are smashing hits when they gross at least 700 million ww and that is not even always the case . Man of steel wasn't considered a success and that almost made 700 million, considering WB won't finance a sequel but a new batman movie with superman and a bunch of others in it .

Please go troll another thread.

eh??

Gravity is simmilar in setting and Inception is from the same director (which for this movie seems all important)

Look, I'm not sitting here in my ivory tower shouting out that I knew it would open to this number.  Fact is I stayed away from predicting this film.  I thought it would open close to 60 but I never thought it was going to be another Inception and then when you compare it to the two films it was most in common with, the opening looks right in line with what it could be expected to do.  

Legs are this will determine if it is a success or not.  I realize Nolan is a deity here but that doesn't mean he is immune to box office trends.

• Like 2

eh??

Gravity is simmilar in setting and Inception is from the same director (which for this movie seems all important)

when they released Gravity ,inception . there was no BH6 like movie which just fresh out in the same week to go toe to toe with it

and Gravity is 1 hrs. 31 min you really want to compare it with a 2 hrs. 50 min film ?

Edited by rickfox