Blankments

PLAYMOBIL : The Movie | December 6, 2019

1 hour ago, Neno said:

I had no idea this toys existed. Never heard for Playmobil. I always thought Lego was only one on that market.   I guess you learn something new every day. 

Playmobil is a very strong brand, mainly in Europe and Latin America. Really the brand did not consolidate in the American market, perhaps the film can reverse this.

I'm a fan and collector of PLAYMOBIL, I've been following all the news related to the film, despite having a budget of $ 75 million, the studio responsible for the production is independent and this will be only his third animated film. So everything is more difficult. The film was announced in 2014, has already changed its name twice, from director one, has already pushed the date about four times, currently scheduled to debut on 01/18/2019, but according to a licensing website, the premiere will be on Christmas of 2019, that is, more than five years after the official announcement, really is discouraging for who is a toy fan.

Edited by Gabriel Sales
  • Like 1

This movie is looking to be fodder at best. I believe it can be rescued by OS (particularly Europe, where Playmobil is actually pretty popular), and if it does come out on Christmas, it may not have it so bad for itself, but in the current weekend that it's slotted, it's dead, as dealing w/both Glass and a Blue Sky film will definitely push the moviegoing away from this movie.

That being said, maybe it can be a good little flick, who knows.

According to the brazilian distributor who acquired the rights to the film, Paris Filmes, the film will have scenes in live-action, that is, similar to 'The Lego Movie'. My fear is that as the studio responsible for the production is french, rather than looking like 'The LEGO Movie', it looks like the horrific 'Arthur and the Invisibles' from 2006.

The budget of this film is estimated at $ 75 million, there is no room for error, mainly because it is a new animation studio (On Animation Studios).

As a big fan of PLAYMOBIL and also animation I am worried about this news.

On 09/10/2017 at 7:46 PM, movies!movies! said:

More three months of waiting...!!!

It seems that promising actress Anya Taylor-Joy(Split, The Witch) is involved in the project, Anya will also be in 'Glass'(Split sequel), which is scheduled to premiere on the same date(01/18/19), I bet that was the reason of change for April 19th.

Edited by Gabriel Sales

Yesterday night, I had a dream that this film was cancelled.

In my dream, I was browsing the forums like I do every day until I came across a thread for this film. I clicked, and I saw what appeared to be a Playmobil building manual that was being used by other users as evidence that the theatrical film was being cancelled.

There was one member with a Playmobil-themed avatar photo (not necessarily Gabriel Sales) whose posts made it seem like they were shaken up about the cancellation. "I'm unsure of what to do," one of the posts read. And my dream-thoughts incorrectly surmised that the individual was considering the deletion of the thread.

Having been mislead by Box Office Mojo's slow process of fixing their 2019 schedule, I had thought- in reality as well as the dream- that the film was still set to release on the same January date that Blue Sky's forthcoming film Spies in Disguise would release. And my dream-thoughts remembered how I felt about two animated films competing with each other on the same day, and, in the dream, I do remember thinking to myself that Spies in Disguise would benefit from Playmobil's cancellation.

Of course, in reality, there is no news that this film is being cancelled. To be honest, I don't know for sure why it would be. Open Road as a distributor kinda needs this one.

And I certainly hope this doesn't get cancelled. The Lego Movie and The Angry Birds Movie proved that, with some creative writers, you can certainly craft an intriguing story out of a property that isn't known for one.

And another thought-provoking reason why I'm excited to see how this one plays out? There's no guarantee (yet) that the film will include references to other properties like The Lego Movie did. This means we could be in store for a film that's like The Lego Movie without nods to other IPs- and to me, that's actually pretty exciting. It'll be telling its own story if that's the route the writers have chosen to go!

Of course, we've got a long way to go until April 2019, and the film could actually breaks hearts with an out-of-knowhere cancellation, or it could receive surprising critical acclaim upon release. But one prediction I'm sure of is this...

This film will surely be fun to speculate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This was not a dream, it was a nightmare! :D:D

I think it is unlikely that this movie will be canceled, since the studio responsible for production (On Animation Studios) invested a few million in its new animation studio in Montreal to produce the film. The film has already been sold to several distributors around the world, such as Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, China, USA, among others.

The only thing that really worries me about the PLAYMOBIL film is that the director chose to do a hybrid live-action/animation, this worries me a lot, considering that there have been few successful hybrid films, mainly in the case of a French production.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10004659_arthur?

:sarah:

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I have to 'wash my hands' about this movie. As a big fan and collector of this fantastic toy I have to admit that it is a difficult decision for me.

If there was any possibility of this movie to work out, the director Lino DiSalvo was in charge of burying when he chose to make a hybrid film. I can not imagine a PLAYMOBIL film being a hybrid, I believe that if the film were all animated, having a good story and a good script, even don't having a satisfactory box office, could be indicated the awards and have critical acclaim, but as a hybrid not will have both.

About Lino DiSalvo, he was the creative director of Paramount's animation department when the horrific 'Monster Trucks' hybrid began to be developed. Analyzing his tweet at the Monster Trucks launch, Lino does not seem to care about box office, let alone with critical approval.

To conclude, what makes me sad is that the failure of this film can affect the financial health of the promising French studio On Animation, the same one that produced the acclaimed 'The Little Prince', considering that the budget of the film PLAYMOBIL is $ 80 millions.

Edited by Gabriel Sales
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

"From the wonderful people who brought you Monster Trucks"...now that will sell this movie.......

Don't even know why they are bothering with an American release for this film.....Playmobil did make a play in the American market, and failed miserably. Pretty much seen here as a blatant ripoff of Lego..and from the photos I have seen of Playmobil, seems to be a pretty accurate description.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

This is a disappointing development. Playmobil always felt like the wholesome alternative to Lego, and this could've been a different, lighter take on The Lego Movie if done right, but the history of live-action/animation hybrids makes me feel like respecting the feel of the source material isn't the goal of the production. Having the Monster Trucks people handle this is a bad idea in my opinion.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

"From the wonderful people who brought you Monster Trucks"...now that will sell this movie.......

Don't even know why they are bothering with an American release for this film.....Playmobil did make a play in the American market, and failed miserably. Pretty much seen here as a blatant ripoff of Lego..and from the photos I have seen of Playmobil, seems to be a pretty accurate description.

The PLAYMOBIL figure was developed and launched in the market 5 years before the Lego figure, so if one company copied the other, it was Lego.

38 minutes ago, slambros said:

This is a disappointing development. Playmobil always felt like the wholesome alternative to Lego, and this could've been a different, lighter take on The Lego Movie if done right, but the history of live-action/animation hybrids makes me feel like respecting the feel of the source material isn't the goal of the production. Having the Monster Trucks people handle this is a bad idea in my opinion.

Opting to develop a hybrid was a big mistake of the director, I totally agree with you when it refers to 'disrespect' regarding the source material, I repeat, I can not imagine a PLAYMOBIL film being hybrid, not possible for this film to work.

About Monster Trucks, Lino DiSalvo was the director of the animation department at Paramount at the time, he must have been one of the creators of the film, but even before the beginning of production he left the studio. What really scares me is his approval of the film.

The studio and crew behind the PLAYMOBIL movie are the same as the acclaimed movie 'The Little Prince', meaning talented people are involved in the project, I did not understand why the studio had chosen (or allowed) to produce a hybrid film , since a totally animated film is his greatest success.

• Like 1