Blankments

PLAYMOBIL : The Movie | December 6, 2019

I think studios aren't realizing LEGO did so well because it was a good movie, not because it was based on toys.

...And because it was based off toys. Lego Movie had huge novelty. We hadnt seen anything like that since Toy Story. Im talking 1995 Toy Story.

Oh dear.

If the people making this film genuinely think that Playmobil is anywhere near as well-loved as Lego then I worry for their mental health.

I think studios aren't realizing LEGO did so well because it was a good movie, not because it was based on toys.

The fact that it was a good film certainly helped, but an original animated film from a less popular animation studio doesn't get a $69 million opening weekend just like that.

Its main selling point was that it was Lego - the most iconic toy in the world, loved by virtually everyone in the western world. This Playmobil film could get 100% on RT and it would probably still fail.

The best bit about this is that its budget is bigger than that of TLM's, hehe.

Edited by treeroy

75M Budget, just got a US Distibution deal: http://variety.com/2015/film/global/on-ent-pathe-wild-bunch-greenlight-playmobil-with-cross-creek-on-board-exclusive-1201604088/

Backed by Wild Bunch and Pathe, Dimitri Rassam and Aton Soumache’s Paris-based ON Animation Studios (“The Little Prince”) has launched the production of $75 million franchise-based movie “Playmobil: Robbers, Thieves & Rebels” on the heels of Toronto, where the project was snatched up by a flurry of international distributors.

Cross Creek (“Everest,” “Black Mass”) has acquired distribution rights to “Playmobil: Robbers, Thieves & Rebels” for a wide release in the U.S.

The tiny-toy movie follows Lego’s big-screen lead. “The Lego Movie” opened to a whopping $69.1 million and grossed $468.8 million worldwide last year.

Following a short story presentation at Toronto, “Playmobil: Robbers, Thieves & Rebels,” the ambitious first animated feature based on the iconic toy brand, locked pre-sales in other major territories, including Germany (Concorde), Latin America (Leda), Benelux (Belga), Switzerland (Impuls) and the Middle East (Shooting Stars).

• Like 1

Movie is already in production, the title will no longer be this.

The French studio responsible for the movie Playmobil is the same as the one that produced 'The Little Prince', is considered the 'French Pixar'

I think he's going to do more than Lego Batman overseas.

Marvel vs DC is for the weak :D

Now the rivalry is Lego vs. Playmobil :P

kar1cg.jpg

I had no idea this toys existed. Never heard for Playmobil. I always thought Lego was only one on that market.   I guess you learn something new every day. 

Edited by Neno