grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

What do you mean? Guardians had IMAX and 3D. Take those away and it sold the equivalent of $310m or so in regular 2D tickets. Hunger Games should blow past $310m very easily.

I was just talking OW, of course this will blow past 300M mark. I have the total DOM total at 412M

• Like 1

I think the min gross for MJ1 after ten days will be 280 million.

CF had 296 million in ten days as a comparison. 

Prediction for CF

Friday: 71 million

Sat: 50 million

Sun: 32

OW: 153 million

2nd weekend -55%

10 day total- 285 million. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I was just talking OW, of course this will blow past 300M mark. I have the total DOM total at 412M

It should be the biggest ticket seller of 2014 on opening weekend by a large margin too though. Maybe you meant opening bigger than TDKR. I'll agree that one is a lot tougher, but it's possible.

• Like 3

I wonder next year if TA2 opens to over TA, is the controversy over biggest opening weekend ever in tickets sold be finally settled? 

There is something interesting at play. Seems the theaters have not been pushing 3D as much in the last couple years as they did back when TA1 came out. If TA2 makes $210-215m, there could be an argument that the 3D boost for TA1 was so much bigger that their tickets sold is very close despite the inflation that is boosting TA2.

• Like 1

It's also good to keep in mind that:

We all believed CF to gross (though not I) less than Hunger Games but have a bigger opening weekend due to it being a sequel.

The opposite happened instead. It feel under OW predictions, but had great legs and went on to gross more than HG.

Perhaps all that great WOM for CF will result in great numbers for this. If its as good as its RT rating (or hell, just pleases the fans) then we could see great legs here too, this doesn't have Frozen on its back to compete with. Not to mention a shorter runtime (20-25 minutes less) might mean more screens maybe.

• Like 1

I wonder next year if TA2 opens to over TA, is the controversy over biggest opening weekend ever in tickets sold be finally settled?

See, I hate people assuming TA2 has to get over TA1 OW or else it's a failure of some sort. It's very possible TA had the novelty factor and this, just had a monster week. TA2 could finish with something like 185-195M OW but be seen as a failure? Sounds so crazy to me.

• Like 2

It's also good to keep in mind that:

We all believed CF to gross (though not I) less than Hunger Games but have a bigger opening weekend due to it being a sequel.

The opposite happened instead. It feel under OW predictions, but had great legs and went on to gross more than HG.

Perhaps all that great WOM for CF will result in great numbers for this. If its as good as its RT rating (or hell, just pleases the fans) then we could see great legs here too, this doesn't have Frozen on its back to compete with. Not to mention a shorter runtime (20-25 minutes less) might mean more screens maybe.

For the record, I did not.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

Been asking the same question. Not a single drop over 50% so far. That's very rare for a horror movie, especially one with only 7% on RT.

Also among the Top 12, Ouija had the highest Friday increase with +336%.  :o

• Like 1

Impressed by the 2nd weekend hold for Interstellar....and the amazing legs for Gone Girl that continues to defy expectations every weekend.  I guess the message to the movie industry is that it is okay to sometimes make movies for adult brains, instead of pandering 90% of your movies throughout the year to mallrats in middle school and high school.

See, I hate people assuming TA2 has to get over TA1 OW or else it's a failure of some sort. It's very possible TA had the novelty factor and this, just had a monster week. TA2 could finish with something like 185-195M OW but be seen as a failure? Sounds so crazy to me.

It would not be but any chance of record falling would be out as well for a while then domestically. 

• Like 1