Ethan Hunt

Criminal | April 15th, 2016

I don't understand why Costner hasn't had a Liam-Neeson-style career resurrection. Now, before you say "Because Neeson is the MAN and a much better actor!" I ask this because what Costner lacks in amazing acting talent, he more than makes up in likability and charm. Also, wasn't he like a really nice guy back when he was an A-lister? You'd think that by now, he would've gotten his career-back-from-the-dead film that would get him an Oscar nod ala Stallone.

Anyway, I like him and I hope this film breaks out, not only for Costner, but for Oldman and Gadot, both of whom I love.

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

I don't understand why Costner hasn't had a Liam-Neeson-style career resurrection. Now, before you say "Because Neeson is the MAN and a much better actor!" I ask this because what Costner lacks in amazing acting talent, he more than makes up in likability and charm. Also, wasn't he like a really nice guy back when he was an A-lister? You'd think that by now, he would've gotten his career-back-from-the-dead film that would get him an Oscar nod ala Stallone.

Anyway, I like him and I hope this film breaks out, not only for Costner, but for Oldman and Gadot, both of whom I love.

Well the thing with Liam Neeson is that he had never really done action movies before, he was primarily a dramatic actor known for movies like Schindler's List. So when he starred in Taken it was a new brand of Liam Neeson.

Whereas Kevin Costner - as well as names like Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sly Stallone - these guys were always action stars and therefore the public has inevitably grown a little tired of them. People don't necessarily dislike them, but it's a harder sell when everyone has already seen this actor in this movie 50 times before. Neeson may be a veteran actor but he is a new action star; he has actually taken (pun intended) his career in a new direction and it's worked. 

Edited by Total Treecall
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Total Treecall said:

Well the thing with Liam Neeson is that he had never really done action movies before, he was primarily a dramatic actor known for movies like Schindler's List. So when he starred in Taken it was a new brand of Liam Neeson.

Whereas Kevin Costner - as well as names like Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sly Stallone - these guys were always action stars and therefore the public has inevitably grown a little tired of them. People don't necessarily dislike them, but it's a harder sell when everyone has already seen this actor in this movie 50 times before. Neeson may be a veteran actor but he is a new action star; he has actually taken (pun intended) his career in a new direction and it's worked. 

I see what you mean.

I guess I was referring more to a career revitalization in general. I would love to see Costner in a film that does for him what Creed is currently doing for Stallone (or what The Wrestler did for Mickey Rourke. I have always liked Costner because, even when he played impossibly durable action stars, I always felt that his charactesr were nice, likeable, flawed people  underneath the action-fireworks bravado and stuntwork.

14 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I see what you mean.

I guess I was referring more to a career revitalization in general. I would love to see Costner in a film that does for him what Creed is currently doing for Stallone (or what The Wrestler did for Mickey Rourke. I have always liked Costner because, even when he played impossibly durable action stars, I always felt that his charactesr were nice, likeable, flawed people  underneath the action-fireworks bravado and stuntwork.

I wouldn't call CREED a career revitalisation. Yes, he's getting some attention but it's just one film. You'd have to wait for his next few films to determine whether his career has found a new spark. Also, just in terms of box office success, it didn't perform that differently from ROCKY BALBOA, even with a different star, which suggests the Rocky brand is stronger than just him as a name.

Saw this today.

Gary Oldman's entire performance: :ohmyzod:

Tommy Lee Jones' entire performance: :kitschjob: + :sadben:

Still not worth it though, because the material just isn't there. There's a fun Bourne-esque prologue and 15 minutes in the middle where Costner is just walking around and being a dick to random people, and at one point he attempts to murder someone with a cactus. But otherwise it's dour.

Still not sure why Reynolds and Alice Eve, in particular, were in there. In general this probably has the most absurdly overqualified/wasted cast in recent memory.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

Saw this last night...I will never understand how a director can have such a talented cast and do so little with them. It's a shame because this movie had the potential to be very great and yet it's all wasted. 

PS Ryan Reynolds is literally in it for like 10 minutes...so if you were expecting something because you're a fan, don't even bother going. I won't even add this to his list of flops because he's like an extra in the movie. 

• Like 1

On February 11, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Cochofles said:

I see what you mean.

Once they relaunch the Waterworld Connected Universe, Costner will get that moment in the sun.

7 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Baumer saw it... His opinion may vary from yours slightly :P

Did he love it?  Cause...I love shitty Costner movies, to the point I think some of them aren't shitty.  

Yes, I saw The Postman multiple times, back off!

Just now, kowhite said:

Did he love it?  Cause...I love shitty Costner movies, to the point I think some of them aren't shitty.  

Yes, I saw The Postman multiple times, back off!

Yeah he did.

No.judging here. I think 3 Days to Kill is a blast