Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

No.

It simply represents how humans will never obtain true 'wealth' if we continue with our materialistic desires. The damage done by this in the film means that in order to access the mineral we have to sacrifice our humanity - further emphasis of the message Cameron is trying to hammer home. Summing it up in its name (which from a plot perspective makes sense anyway, since it's so rare and they can call elements whatever they like (e.g. Californium, Einsteinium)) is a neat trick.

Speaking of unobtainium I googled it and someone wrote this up. lmao

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Unobtanium

I'm confused, what's bad about that wiki page?

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

Holy crap. I had no clue.

Yes, I know it's obvious, no need for sarcasm :)

I'm just saying it fits the theme of the movie very well. If you don't like the theme then that's a whole other thing, but it's not out of place in the film.

• Like 1

Yes, I know it's obvious, no need for sarcasm :)

I'm just saying it fits the theme of the movie very well. If you don't like the theme then that's a whole other thing, but it's not out of place in the film.

No, it's not. But there's something to be said about making the theme that obvious. Go back over your post again, the key words are "hammer home." Cameron literally hammers us over the head with everything in Avatar, and it makes the film far less compelling than if he let everything play out in a more subtle manner (or hell even in a manner that didn't call attention to itself).

And that's the issue with unobtanium. On its own, it's an eyeroll moment. Add it to everything else (from Quaritch's over the top characterization to the blatant allegorical text and so forth) it just weighs the film down. I still like Avatar; the experience is awesome. But it could've been more.

• Like 1

No, it's not. But there's something to be said about making the theme that obvious. Go back over your post again, the key words are "hammer home." Cameron literally hammers us over the head with everything in Avatar, and it makes the film far less compelling than if he let everything play out in a more subtle manner (or hell even in a manner that didn't call attention to itself).

And that's the issue with unobtanium. On its own, it's an eyeroll moment. Add it to everything else (from Quaritch's over the top characterization to the blatant allegorical text and so forth) it just weighs the film down. I still like Avatar; the experience is awesome. But it could've been more.

Yes, it's better when a film is subtle about its messaging, and lets the viewer come to their own conclusions, but honestly, I don't mind a film being like how Avatar is. In the context of a colourful action epic, I don't really expect the film to be particularly nuanced or thoughtful.

I actually watched Avatar last night, as I hadn't done so in a few years, and the most jarring thing for me was how dated the CGI is. The environments are great but the Naa'vi have no imperfections and just look unrealistic - and their animations are dreadful. That really took me out of the experience.

Have to admit, it was more boring than I remember. I fell asleep just as all the Naa'vi attacked the gunships on dragons.  :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, it's better when a film is subtle about its messaging, and lets the viewer come to their own conclusions, but honestly, I don't mind a film being like how Avatar is. In the context of a colourful action epic, I don't really expect the film to be particularly nuanced or thoughtful.

I actually watched Avatar last night, as I hadn't done so in a few years, and the most jarring thing for me was how dated the CGI is. The environments are great but the Naa'vi have no imperfections and just look unrealistic - and their animations are dreadful. That really took me out of the experience.

Have to admit, it was more boring than I remember. I fell asleep just as all the Naa'vi attacked the gunships on dragons.  :lol:

Hmm, I saw it last year and found the CGI to be solid. I never felt like the Navi'i were actually realistic (I'm unsure of the possibility of that even), but they looked better than anything at the time and still do for the most part. For me, its best part is the middle of the film, when Cameron just lets you experience the world he's built. The stuff before and after is ok, but nothing special.

a couple pages ago i said that sexism against the thg series is saying it's for "dumb teen girls" and then this is posted

Possibly to sell books to gullible teenage girls that are dying to be in a fanbase where their most interesting conversations revolves around statments such as "OMG!!! Totally TEAM PEETA!" or "I totally ship Katniss and Gale! xoxoxox".

and you guys still try to pretend i'm wrong? a series about survival, governmental oppression through the media, and human condition, all commenting on our society with more poignancy than any overrated book from 50 years ago that you had to read in english class, and it gets reduced to that kind of quote because it targets girls instead of guys for once. the bias is very transparent.

iSyyQgy3VR3hU.gif

• Like 6

a couple pages ago i said that sexism against the thg series is saying it's for "dumb teen girls" and then this is posted

and you guys still try to pretend i'm wrong? a series about survival, governmental oppression through the media, and human condition, all commenting on our society with more poignancy than any overrated book from 50 years ago that you had to read in english class, and it gets reduced to that kind of quote because it targets girls instead of guys for once. the bias is very transparent.

iSyyQgy3VR3hU.gif

Mmmhmm.

Don't see posts like that about Team Batman vs Team Superman or Team Iron Man vs Team Cap targeting dumb teenage boys

Lots of people, specially on the net, look down on material that targets other demos

• Like 3

From the Japan box office thread

Mockingjay Part 1 isn't receiving a theatrical release in Japan either after the first two films bombed

Hunger Games made 5M in Japan, and Catching Fire made 1.7M. Not a huge loss to the franchise, but Japan (and most of Asia) really didn't take to the Hunger Games franchise for some reason.

From the Japan box office thread

Hunger Games made 5M in Japan, and Catching Fire made 1.7M. Not a huge loss to the franchise, but Japan (and most of Asia) really didn't take to the Hunger Games franchise for some reason.

They liked Hunger Games better when it was called Battle Royale?

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 2

They liked Hunger Games better when it was called Battle Royale?

That would have made sense if it was just Japan, but the THG franchise so far seems to have underperformed relatively in almost all Asian markets. Japan is just the most extreme example.

Edited by grim22

*sigh*. You had me up until the 50 years ago comment. The post you brought up was in fact sexist (although it still doesn't prove your argument from a few days ago that professional critics were sexist against The Hunger Games). And you were also right that The Hunger Games does deal with some important topics. But don't start acting like it's somehow better than all of those "pretentious" works we had to read in high school without any analysis or evidence as to why. That's just an over-the-top and baseless reaction. And it's also why it's really hard to take you seriously even when you make some really good points (like how some people are sexist towards the film). You always feel the need to go one step further. The Hunger Games isn't just a good franchise trying to battle against sexism, it's the best franchise ever while trying to battle sexism. It deserves all Academy Awards, and the books are better than The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, Huck Finn, A Portrait on Artist, and so forth and so forth.

Give me a break.

iSyyQgy3VR3hU.gif

Actually, I'm a hunger games fan....but nice try.

By the way, what I am saying is fact. The MAIN demographic for Hunger Games are teenage girls (at least it was at the beginning) and these type of plot devices (love triangles) appeal to teenage girls. I felt like the love triangle was forced but I completely understand why Suzanne Collins did it. I would to if it gave me a better chance at becoming a bestselling author and a multi-millionaire by the next year. Its not biased to state the obvious...you're acting like teenage girls don't eat this stuff up, they do. And us men love superheroes and watching shit explode...maybe thats our stereotype but (in GENERAL) most men do like that kind of stuff. Whats the big deal?

• Like 1

honestly i think mj1 was kind of a weird movie, but there was a huge action sequence before the halfway point, then three or four more large action sequences

1. district 8 bombing
  2. attack on district 5 dam
  3. district 13 bombing
  4. capitol infiltration
  5. peeta attacking katniss

that's as much action as the first two movies, with the larger ones being of larger scale and the smaller ones having just as much emotional punch. this is why i don't really understand why suddenly people are saying it was BORING of all things, like thin plot.. ok you can get away with that. criticizing the split, fine. it certainly wasn't as glamorous as the first two. but it was definitely not boring or lacking in action.. which is where my main "critics aren't being truthful" thing comes from (and people on this site too), since they're not criticizing any actual shortcomings and instead making things up. and even the infamous the first half had lots of humorous, emotional, and/or interesting scenes, it was definitely not boring enough to *cough* feel the need to go on your phone during it. i mean interstellar's equally "boring" first half is like as long as the entire runtime of mj1, but people respected that. hence the bias i'm talking about.