Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

a series about survival, governmental oppression through the media, and human condition, all commenting on our society with more poignancy than any overrated book from 50 years ago that you had to read in english class

If the series truly attempts to be what you describe (I don't know, haven't read past the first one), that should be all the more reason not to bother with love triangle bullshit, no?

• Like 2

honestly i think mj1 was kind of a weird movie, but there was a huge action sequence before the halfway point, then three or four more large action sequences

1. district 8 bombing
  2. attack on district 5 dam
  3. district 13 bombing
  4. capitol infiltration
  5. peeta attacking katniss

#2 and #5 are not "large action sequences." Both are too short to be considered that (though they are great moments). And #3 is an action sequence, in which a lot of the action takes place off screen (you never see the explosions).

If the series truly attempts to be what you describe (I don't know, haven't read past the first one), that should be all the more reason not to bother with love triangle bullshit, no?

there is barely a love triangle! peeta and gale aren't even at odds with each other fighting over katniss at ANY point. katniss just likes them both at different times in like 2-minute scenes, and a big deal is not made out of it. meanwhile, people stereotype the series as another twilight, because it stars a girl and has a female fanbase.

• Like 2

and you guys still try to pretend i'm wrong? a series about survival, governmental oppression through the media, and human condition, all commenting on our society with more poignancy than any overrated book from 50 years ago that you had to read in english class, and it gets reduced to that kind of quote because it targets girls instead of guys for once. the bias is very transparent.

Except it's not written all that remarkably. The first two books make it work because the narrative is well-stitched together and the protagonist is relatable and compelling.

But the writing in the third novel is just all around sub-par. It certainly has ideas, but it doesn't make them work because the novel just is not good when it comes to demonstrating believable, identifiable characters or a plot that is at this point moving messily and clumsily by sheer inertia and occasional author-mandated ZOMG moments that sometimes don't make a lick of sense rationally, narratively, or character-wise. In fact by the end of the novel one continual plot device by the author that appears a couple times in the first two novels but happens several times in the third novel alone has become a mocking running joke about getting the plot where it needs to be, if only the pesky main character wasn't in the way and there wasn't an imposed page limit.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

there is barely a love triangle! peeta and gale aren't even at odds with each other fighting over katniss at ANY point. katniss just likes them both at different times in like 2-minute scenes, and a big deal is not made out of it. meanwhile, people stereotype the series as another twilight, because it stars a girl and has a female fanbase.

^This. In no way, is Hunger Games a franchise like Twilight.

• Like 1

honestly i think mj1 was kind of a weird movie, but there was a huge action sequence before the halfway point, then three or four more large action sequences

• district 8 bombing
  • attack on district 5 dam
  • district 13 bombing
  • capitol infiltration
  • peeta attacking katniss

1 and 2 weren't "huge" and I wouldn't count number 5 and 3 as "action sequences".

• Like 1

I don't agree with a lot of what you have to say, but this point I agree with. A lot of people generalize THG and try to act like it is an other Twilight where s huge focus of it is a love triangle. In THG the love triangle isn't a big part of it really and it is just mainly Katniss conflicted because she has love for both. They don't really fight over like the guys in Twilight do over Bella.

• Like 2

#2 and #5 are not "large action sequences." Both are too short to be considered that (though they are great moments). And #3 is an action sequence, in which a lot of the action takes place off screen (you never see the explosions).

the action of #3 is

katniss going back for prim and barely making it through the doors. the editing, cinematography, and sound editing made it really stressful and thrilling.

What is psudeo-intellectual about it? I'm simply stating that his glowing responses are over-the-top. I don't even find what I said to be intellectual.

my over-the-top praise of thg is to prove that when someone praises a series stereotyped as being for "dumb teen girls" it's not taken seriously, while over-the-top praise for, oh i don't know maybe CHRISTOPHER NOLAN'S movies is completely fine.

Just like people stereotype superhero films as being similar because it has men in costumes saving people?

• Like 1

the action of #3 is

katniss going back for prim and barely making it through the doors. the editing, cinematography, and sound editing made it really stressful and thrilling.

my over-the-top praise of thg is to prove that when someone praises a series stereotyped as being for "dumb teen girls" it's not taken seriously, while over-the-top praise for, oh i don't know maybe CHRISTOPHER NOLAN'S movies is completely fine.

I agree, that part is tense. But I wouldn't call it a large action scene.

And ok.

1. district 8 bombing
  2. attack on district 5 dam
  3. district 13 bombing
  4. capitol infiltration
  5. peeta attacking katniss

that's as much action as the first two movies, with the larger ones being of larger scale and the smaller ones having just as much emotional punch. this is why i don't really understand why suddenly people are saying it was BORING of all things, like thin plot.. ok you can get away with that. criticizing the split, fine. it certainly wasn't as glamorous as the first two. but it was definitely not boring or lacking in action.. which is where my main "critics aren't being truthful" thing comes from (and people on this site too), since they're not criticizing any actual shortcomings and instead making things up. and even the infamous the first half had lots of humorous, emotional, and/or interesting scenes, it was definitely not boring enough to *cough* feel the need to go on your phone during it. i mean interstellar's equally "boring" first half is like as long as the entire runtime of mj1, but people respected that. hence the bias i'm talking about.

That's not quite true. Many people didn't love IS and/or its first half.

• Like 1

the action of #3 is

You really think people tolerate the over the top Nolan praise when they're not Nolanites?  You must have missed out on most of the Interstellar thread...

• Like 5