Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

Lawsbians are fickle, I guess.

It s strange. MJ1 came after the beloved CF movie which ended on a very striking image of Katniss,breaking the fourth wall,  wanting you to see more of Katniss story.

MJ1 opening around 150m was almost a fact and I could have understood a 150m ow with weaker legs than CF because of audiences being disapointed by the movie.

It s weird that the movie crumbled from the get go.

• Like 1

Mockingjay 1 definitely ranks among the movies that should have held the line or increased, but dropped because of substandard marketing.

Star Trek Into Darkness was a notable one from last year. Its marketing just was not that good at all, especially with the dumb mystery box angle regarding Khan. The result was an OW drop (after an underwhelming Thursday opening). Legs were reduced due, though you can argue that as a mix of normal sequel frontloading, lesser WOM, etc

The subpar book and the splitting into 2 movies also played a part, blaming a 35m+ drop on just marketing is silly IMO, Hunger Games just peaked.  And SW7 is gonna slice off MJ2's late legs.

• Like 1

That, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Marvel and Twilight. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than a year later, you can go load up a page on Mojo and look at 2013, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

It s strange. MJ1 came after the beloved CF movie which ended on a very striking image of Katniss,breaking the fourth wall,  wanting you to see more of Katniss story.

But that's from a fan perspective. From someone outside the whole phenomena, the movie felt mostly like a rehash of the first. Perhaps a decent number of casual viewers just felt it wasn't worth going on opening weekend after that.

• Like 5

The subpar book and the splitting into 2 movies also played a part, blaming a 35m+ drop on just marketing is silly IMO, Hunger Games just peaked.  And SW7 is gonna slice off MJ2's late legs.

But people who haven't read the books but watch the movies, which is a sizable amount of the audience, had no idea how disappointing the third novel was. And if a reader liked how the first two films were handled, he/she wouldn't suddenly go "oh I am not going to give these next movies a chance at all."

Marketing played a big part in things going south. That and the lesser-than-expected reviews.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

I think the only really disappointing thing about the Mockingjay number is that it's lower than BD Part 1.  I just think it was impossible for this to have the momentum of the first two, especially when those two were much more friendly to the general audience.  I do think that if it opens in the DH Part 1 range, then Guardians officially wins the year.  There's just no reason for this to have great legs.  I think 310-315 seems like a solid place for it to land.

Part 2 will still be huge. 

Edited by RyneOh1040

But that's from a fan perspective. From someone outside the whole phenomena, the movie felt mostly like a rehash of the first. Perhaps a decent number of casual viewers just felt it wasn't worth going on opening weekend after that.

Completely agree. I was surprised by how much I liked the first movie, but the second was just the same thing again and left a bad taste in the mouth.

• Like 2

Twilight had no franchise fatigue whatsoever. It never reached the peaks of the first two Hunger Games movies but Twilight 2,3,4 and 5 remained amazingly consistent year after year and all made around 300m dom and 700m ww with Twilight 5 overperforming ww with more than 800m ww.

Twilight also never got beyond the same old demographic. Hunger Games has a much bigger fanbase but it is a more casual fanbase. The more casual your fanbase is, the more likely they will be a bit tired of rushing out to the theater after 3 movies in 2.5 years.

• Like 4

It's a film that nobody wanted. In the first part of the book nothing happens. It's still impressive that it will do near 300m domestic and 750m WW. Lionsgate must be happy even though they screwed up the marketing for this. MJ2 will be huge, I'm sure. It faces much difficult competition though.

Edited by Alfredstellar

Stop with with your reverse psychology attempt, CF was loved by GA and that s a fact.

Don't let your personal feelings cloud your rational judgement.

• Like 3

It's a film that nobody wanted. In the first part of the book nothing happens. It's still impressive that it will do near 300m domestic and 750m WW. Lionsgate must be happy even though they screwed up the marketing for this. MJ2 will be huge, I'm sure. It faces much difficult competition though.

Agree with all of this.

• Like 1

Stop with with your reverse psychology attempt, CF was loved by GA and that s a fact.

Don't let your personal feelings cloud your rational judgement.

I liked it. But the way you're describing the ending wasn't what I took away at all. Maybe more people felt like me than you think.

• Like 2

I think that would've shown itself in CF's legs

• Like 3