Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

I think that would've shown itself in CF's legs

...which were solid enough but hardly anything spectacular, even given the huge OW. I know this may sound a bit odd, but CF's legs are the worst of all the major modern blockbusters on the all-time top 10.

Edited by Telemachos

...which were solid enough but hardly anything spectacular, even given the huge OW.

I disagree completely.  A sequel that neared a 3 multiplier after a 158 million OW for the young adult audience is pretty spectacular.

Edited by RyneOh1040

I liked it. But the way you're describing the ending wasn't what I took away at all. Maybe more people felt like me than you think.

I remember seeing it with my sister and she loved it. She read the books beforehand and felt Catching Fire was the better movie. I told her I enjoyed CF a lot but I preferred the first one because the games felt like a big rehash in the second movie. I was very excited by the ending though when it's revealed Hoffman and Harrelson were huge players in a revolution.

As someone who hadn't read the books, that was an awesome plot twist and made me very interested to see where the story went. My sister told me "no more games" in Mockingjay, so that was good to hear. I sure as hell would not have gone this weekend to see MJ1 if it contained another rehash of the games plotline.

• Like 1

It's a film that nobody wanted. In the first part of the book nothing happens. It's still impressive that it will do near 300m domestic and 750m WW. Lionsgate must be happy even though they screwed up the marketing for this. MJ2 will be huge, I'm sure. It faces much difficult competition though.

Lionsgate stock dropped 5% after the estimates were released on Friday. I doubt that studio execs are happy about MJ1's performance after taking that hit.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/news/box-office-hunger-games-mockingjay-down-24-catching-222153996.html

• Like 2

Twilight also never got beyond the same old demographic. Hunger Games has a much bigger fanbase but it is a more casual fanbase. The more casual your fanbase is, the more likely they will be a bit tired of rushing out to the theater after 3 movies in 2.5 years.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

It s easy to say now that THG fanbase is casual.

The fact that the second movie did better than the first that reached already 400m completely contradicts the casual fanbase argument.

CF surprised 95% of this board by doing more than THG.

How many times I read CF won't reach 400m on this board, probably more than there are stars in the milky way.

And now we have the complete reverse situation, everybody assumed that THG was this unbeatable monster and it crashed spectacularly, because 95% of this board didn't expect MJ1 to open this low.

And we re supposed to be BO experts.

• Like 2

I think that would've shown itself in CF's legs

Would it? There was a ton of goodwill for the first movie. I didn't even see it until Netflix about a month before Catching Fire came out. It was good enough to make me want to see the sequel in a theater, which is saying a lot.

Remember the legs for Pirates 2? Movie wasn't anywhere near as fresh and definitely wasn't as funny as the first one, but had great legs. Third movie's opening dropped significantly and no one could understand why. Franchise fatigue was a factor there too (2 movies in less than a year) plus movie #3 paid the price for the letdown of movie #2.

• Like 1

I disagree completely.  A sequel that neared a 3 multiplier after a 158 million OW for the young adult audience is pretty spectacular.

Agreed.

Comparing the legs and multiplier of a movie that opened to 158 and a movie that opened to 90 is stoopid and nonsensical.

• Like 1

Like I said this movie is underrated.

I loved this movie.

What I think is throwing people off, which in fact did not bother me was that some of the content in the Hunger Games has changed.

It's more brutal, tragic, violent and some scenes pretty graphic. It's very grim, and all that combined I don't know if that's throwing off people but it's enticing to me, along with what the story has to offer.

• Like 1

Would it? There was a ton of goodwill for the first movie. I didn't even see it until Netflix about a month before Catching Fire came out. It was good enough to make me want to see the sequel in a theater, which is saying a lot.

Remember the legs for Pirates 2? Movie wasn't anywhere near as fresh and definitely wasn't as funny as the first one, but had great legs. Third movie's opening dropped significantly and no one could understand why. Franchise fatigue was a factor there too (2 movies in less than a year) plus movie #3 paid the price for the letdown of movie #2.

That and Pirates was affected by SM3 and Shrek 3 in the three weeks preceding being not only disappointing but also big ticket sellers.

Like I said this movie is underrated.

I loved this movie.

What I think is throwing people off, which in fact did not bother me was that some of the content in the Hunger Games has changed.

It's more brutal, tragic, violent and some scenes pretty graphic. It's very grim, and all that combined I don't know if that's throwing off people but it's enticing to me, along with what the story has to offer.

How can it be throwing people off if they haven't seen it? Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

Hindsight is always 20/20.

It s easy to say now that THG fanbase is casual.

The fact that the second movie did better than the first that reached already 400m completely contradicts the casual fanbase argument.

CF surprised 95% of this board by doing more than THG.

How many times I read CF won't reach 400m on this board, probably more than there are stars in the milky way.

And now we have the complete reverse situation, everybody assumed that THG was this unbeatable monster and it crashed spectacularly, because 95% of this board didn't expect MJ1 to open this low.

And we re supposed to be BO experts.

To hit 400 you have to reach casual moviegoers. Can't get there without it. I've never even read a Hunger Games book and I've seen CF/MJ1 in the theater because of how much I enjoyed HG1 on Netflix. When it comes to that franchise, I'm as casual of a viewer as it gets. I found myself cringing during a lot of the trailers because they are so clearly aimed at the Twilight audience.

• Like 1

I guess there won't be a $400m movie this year after we had 3 last year. Heck, there's a really good chance there won't even be a $350m movie this year. :(

But, we should have at least 3 next year :) that is, assuming MJ2 makes it there.