Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

The subpar book and the splitting into 2 movies also played a part, blaming a 35m+ drop on just marketing is silly IMO, Hunger Games just peaked. And SW7 is gonna slice off MJ2's late legs.

I agree. It's the combination of the two reasons you've mentioned. Even Potter was affected by that split syndrome. It's still money though. Lionsgate doesn't really care. lol

The CF ending was pretty badass, especially with the pin transformation that capped it all off.

MJ1 isn't going to seem as epic as that because they were going for complete opposite tonality. CF ended with Katniss looking determined and laser-focused in spite of her losses. She was going to become the Mockingjay and get her ass-kicking revenge. They still hadn't broken her. MJ1 however ends (and even opens) with Katniss finally looking defeated over her obstacles/losses. Obviously that first ending is going to be the big crowd pleaser, whereas the later is kind of a big downer. But I give kudos for them going there and leaving audiences with her as a bit of a broken mess leading to the big finale. Now if only the second half of the book were better...

why are people making the reasons for the underperformance more complicated than they are? It made less because it is a Part 1 that barely had any action and had no resolution and it was pretty obvious it was that way. Simple as that.

What other reasons are you referring too?

• Like 1

I agree. It's the combination of the two reasons you've mentioned. Even Potter was affected by that split syndrome. It's still money though. Lionsgate doesn't really care. lol

I'm sure Lionsgate cares that MJ1 is looking to make $100M less than CF.