grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I realize this is a minor thing to get hung up on, but the latest review for the film on Rat kind of confuses me, not in its content, but in the fact that it has a score. The critic who posted the review in question doesn’t seem to have given any of the other movie’s she’s reviewed a score, so why is RPO the exception? 

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I realize this is a minor thing to get hung up on, but the latest review for the film on Rat kind of confuses me, not in its content, but in the fact that it has a score. The critic who posted the review in question doesn’t seem to have given any of the other movie’s she’s reviewed a score, so why is RPO the exception? 

That's less than a minor thing. Who cares? I mean I know you do but why?

I really am curious as to why this movie isn’t tracking too well at the moment, in spite of the positive reviews. With how prominent nostalgia has become in the last three years, I would’ve thought that a movie with decent reviews that is also a massive love letter to geek culture would have higher estimates. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I really am curious as to why this movie isn’t tracking too well at the moment, in spite of the positive reviews. With how prominent nostalgia has become in the last three years, I would’ve thought that a movie with decent reviews that is also a massive love letter to geek culture would have higher estimates. 

That fanboys will rush to it opening weekend and that it would die off quick. Speilberg is still a whole household name as a director but his last film to make over $100 million was in 2012, and then prior to that was 2005.

His last film (not The Post) was a huge dud in the middle of the summer. 

Also have you seen April’s release schedule?  It’s one film after another that could be a fight to the death. 

Edited by Maxmoser3

7 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

That fanboys will rush to it opening weekend and that it would die off quick. Speilberg is still a whole household name as a director but his last film to make over $100 million was in 2012, and then prior to that was 2005.

His last film (not The Post) was a huge dud in the middle of the summer. 

Also have you seen April’s release schedule?  It’s one film after another that could be a fight to the death. 

The movie isn’t even tracking to do big business on opening weekend. 

13 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

MlNoybn.png

Edited by Lucas
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I've been down on this movie, but I'm starting to think the backlash is overhyped and may not exist in the wider population.

the only backlash there is is to the book which from the snippets I've seen is...ehhh.

which is even more of a testament of what a great job Spielberg did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

This needs a breakout

It's difficult with the trailers looking so dull, especially the visuals, and speaking of which...

8 minutes ago, antovolk said:

the only backlash there is is to the book which from the snippets I've seen is...ehhh.

which is even more of a testament of what a great job Spielberg did.

... how do the visuals work for the actual movie? The trailers do very little to make it seem like the scenes inside the Oasis look nice because of the drab looking visuals. Is this at all a problem?

21 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's difficult with the trailers looking so dull, especially the visuals, and speaking of which...

... how do the visuals work for the actual movie? The trailers do very little to make it seem like the scenes inside the Oasis look nice because of the drab looking visuals. Is this at all a problem?

that's because of the sort of shots/scenes they picked (and some incomplete VFX). All looks great and very vivid in the film itself, if anything the 'real world' is more drab. If you want a better sense of some of the stuff on offer in the OASIS, check out the TV spots. But I think it's a case of marketing trying not to spoil some of the settings and homages etc

• Like 1