grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

Just now, KeepItU25071906 said:

In your "purple world" context works for N-word? 

Okay... I think I'll disengage here.

I obviously offended you.  I unreservedly apologize.  Let's move on, shall we?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

In your "purple world" context works for N-word? 

Dude, if someone call me "russian" I just punch in this fucking face. Don't wait a minute.

I don't know how it works in NZ)) 

You take things waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too seriously, mate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Dude, if someone call me "russian" I just punch in this fucking face. Don't wait a minute.

I don't know how it works in NZ)) 

It... doesn't work like that :lol:

Australian's aren't that bad. Not really an offensive thing to be called (don't tell @DeeCee I said that).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(3/5 stars)

From the Review:

The nods to 70s and 80s music and films are never ending. Tasters of everything from Atari video games to Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining, from John Hughes bratpack movies to Saturday Night Fever, from John Boorman’s Excalibur to King Kong, are thrown into the mix.

You know, that would've gone A LONG WAY in the trailers.  The marketing skews so crazy older male that I still cannot see how this breaks out.  I think Box Office Pro's 37M is right on the money, even generous.  I just don't get how anyone under 35 is excited about this.  FacebookTwitter and Tumblr are basically dead aside from the center nerd hubs.

They are also a decade off.  It should've been the 80s and 90s.  I watched Love, Simon last night, and was struck by a throw-away line at the beginning.  He described himself as a "normal teenager who drinks too much iced-coffee and watches bad 90s movies with his friends".  90s, not 80s.  (Most) Teenagers nowadays don't care about 70s and early 80s nostalgia.  

Where's it's Cher Horowitz's Yellow Jeep in the racing sequences?  Why are they playing Van Halen's Jump instead of Spice Girls' Spice Up Your Life or Backstreet Boy's Everybody? Where is the 50 Ft Projection of Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing? No Salem The Talking Cat as a Mentor or Foe? NO ONE has Jennifer Aniston's hair?

I could be totally wrong.  It could all be in the movie.  But, if it is, then they're just leaving money on the table for opening weekend.  

I was expecting to watch this at a mystery preview screening. To say I was disappointed when Nick Robinson's annoying face appeared telling us "thanks for watching this exclusive preview of Love, Simon, hope you enjoy" is an understatement. Over half the audience walked out within the first 5 minutes and people continued to walk out throughout the film. Lol

Totally off-topic at this moment, but hey, if any of you do get legitimately pissed at people confusing you for another nationality, trust me: we Portuguese have been at the forefront of that for a long time. Pretty sure a lot of non-Europeans didn't know we were an actual country and not just a province of Spain (or that we spoke Portuguese rather than Spanish... though we're called Portugal, hence PortuGoddamnguese - or did you actually think the Brazilians invented that language?) until we won the Euro 2016 :rofl:  (Well, tbh, USA vs Portugal @ World Cup 2014 was the most watched real football match ever at the States, so maybe they sorta knew us by then.)

I've had an Englishman approach me before and talk screwed up Spanish to me, assuming I knew Spanish because.... I lived in Portugal, I guess? Lucky him, I did know Spanish, but still. People, there's this thing called Google. If you go to a foreign country, use it to figure what language the locals actually speak. Or just speak English, the universal language. Though the Spanish and French hate it if you do that to them, but still, do that instead.

ANYWAY, back on topic, I still think RPO is looking at a 30's range 3-day OW, w/an off chance for high 30's. Needs something like that for 100M DOM to occur.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Hey, if any of you do get legitimately pissed at people confusing you for another nationality, trust me: we Portuguese have been at the forefront of that for a long time. Pretty sure a lot of non-Europeans didn't know we were an actual country and not just a province of Spain (or that we spoke Portuguese rather than Spanish... though we're called Portugal, hence PortuGoddamnguese - or did you actually think the Brazilians invented that language?) until we won the Euro 2016 :rofl:  (Well, tbh, USA vs Portugal @ World Cup 2014 was the most watched real football match ever at the States, so maybe they sorta knew us by then.)

I've had an Englishman approach me before and talk screwed up Spanish to me, assuming I knew Spanish because.... I lived in Portugal, I guess? Lucky him, I did know Spanish, but still. People, there's this thing called Google. If you go to a foreign country, use it to figure what language the locals actually speak. Or just speak English, the universal language. Though the Spanish and French hate it if you do that to them, but still, do that instead.

PortuGeese

portugeese.jpgportugeese.jpg

portugeese.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1

I think this is continuing to look like a great film. The great reviews can really only help the film find an audience. If God's Not Dead 3 is as dumbfoundingly poor-thought-out as the last two, I think I'll see this instead. I'd rather support filmmakers like Steven Spielberg who take the filmmaking process to heart.