grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4332213

Just another big gap of projections from "reliable source"

35-55 mln.

We all can be insiders, guys.  We all can make this type of projections.

I predict 190-250 mln for Avengers 3, 30-60 mln for RPO, 20-45 mln for Tomb Raider, etc. opening week-end.

tenor.gif?itemid=10503749

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

From $35M to $55M in a few hours, the posters are working! :sparta:

Tracking is how much the movie would do if it opened right now with the current metric I think ?, the other one is a projection.

That part:

To do that, “Ready Player One” must broaden its appeal. It is tracking well with male moviegoers, but has yet to garner as much interest with female audiences. 

Good luck trying to attract female audience (hard to imagine older female being interested and younger well will not have nostalgia factor going on)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Tracking is how much the movie would do if it opened right now with the current metric I think ?, the other one is a projection.

That part:

To do that, “Ready Player One” must broaden its appeal. It is tracking well with male moviegoers, but has yet to garner as much interest with female audiences. 

Good luck trying to attract female audience (hard to imagine older female being interest and younger well will not have nostalgia factor going on)

Very reminiscent of John Carter, which failed to garner much female interest.  

• Like 1

The thing people rarely say is Spielberg has done pretty  big movies throughout his career but he never made the giant Michael Bay/Cameron/Peter Jackson/Avengers type movies, the really huge ones in terms of scope, scale and now VFX.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The thing people rarely say is Spielberg has done pretty  big movies throughout his career but he never made the giant Michael Bay/Cameron/Peter Jackson/Avengers type movies, the really huge ones in terms of scope, scale and now VFX.

VFX was barely a thing when most of his blockbusters were made. 

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That part:

Good luck trying to attract female audience (hard to imagine older female being interested and younger well will not have nostalgia factor going on)

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Very reminiscent of John Carter, which failed to garner much female interest.  

How about now

GUt0VuI.jpg

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park don't exist?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park don't exist?

In scope, the Jurassic Park movies are small, especially the first one.

Indy were big movies for their time no doubt but to me, in scope, he never went full epic mode a la Cameron/Bay/Jackson/Lean, it is still another division in my mind.

Say what you want about Bay but the reason he is admired by his peers is because his peers know exaclty the insane difficulties Bay puts himself through during his shoots in terms of scale and spectacle and stunts and action.

18 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Indy were big movies for their time no doubt but to me, in scope, he never went full epic mode a la Cameron/Bay/Jackson/Lean, it is still another division in my mind.

Say what you want about Bay but the reason he is admired by his peers is because his peers know exaclty the insane difficulties Bay puts himself through during his shoots in terms of scale and spectacle and stunts and action.

Empire Of The Sun, AI and WOTW are pretty epic in scope but Spielberg's knack is focusing on how the macro element is reflected through his characters.

You will always have a dramatic close up that conveys the epicness and scale of the spectacle through the character's reaction. 

(See how Sam Neill sells the shit out of the first full blown dinosaurs reveal or Tom Cruise experiencing the first tripod emerging from the depth of the earth. That last one conjures a sense of dread, I felt like watching 9/11 unfolding all over again petrified. That church shot, the cracking ground blowing up then collapsing :ohmygod:)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

War of World was one of the first that come to mind about what you are saying, has big as what is going on the background, it is a lot about the family, lot of time in a basement and the ending homage to John Wayne/Ford is also on the small side.

Not sure he ever made a 200-250m movie adjusted in budget either.

Saving Private Ryan was quite "big" by moments (then again he goes down to the one guy, one bridge toward the end).

Oh A.I. above is a good one in term of epicness of scope, it really go giant.

Edited by Barnack

Like I said, he did plenty of big movies and he was known for doing them, he s the Godgather of the modern blockbuster but other went to the extra mile in terms of scope and spectacle, and now VFX.

I wonder how much he worked on the Ready Player One VFX post production.

It is his biggest VFX movie to date.

The BFG was already big VFX wise but "small" next to recent Marvel that are giant VFX undertakings.

Wonder if Peter Jackson didn't tackle post-porduction on the Giant movie since it was all done in New Zealand with Weta Digital.

Peter Jackson worked probably more than Spielberg on Tintin, it is a very little know fact.

So did Spielberg spend a year in a room, checking VFX shots again and again for this one ?