My opinion is that the horror genre needs a Rosemary's Baby or a The Exorcist more than it needs a slasher movie. The problem isn't that they are making too many supernatural movies, it is that they are making too many shitty movies and found footage was the worst thing to happen to the genre. It gave them an excuse to make bad movies with bad acting, bad direction and horrible production value because, hey, this is just some found footage. Maybe a guy like Scorsese or Nolan will make a horror movie and recharge the genre because Blumhouse ain't doing it.

• Like 1

My opinion is that the horror genre needs a Rosemary's Baby or a The Exorcist more than it needs a slasher movie. The problem isn't that they are making too many supernatural movies, it is that they are making too many shitty movies and found footage was the worst thing to happen to the genre. It gave them an excuse to make bad movies with bad acting, bad direction and horrible production value because, hey, this is just some found footage. Maybe a guy like Scorsese or Nolan will make a horror movie and recharge the genre because Blumhouse ain't doing it.

Tarantino needs to finally make a proper horror film.

I am pretty sure they were going for a PG-13 rating. Their viral marketing was aimed at teens. The movie also seems to be rated very late in the game and I wonder if it is because of some plot point that they simply couldn't modify to get a PG-13 rating.

I already hear it was R I'm sure from an interview with the film makers. But I'm not 100%.

Watched CREEP last night and it scared me. First time I've been scared by a film this year. Bravo to Mark Duplass and Blumhouse. But boo for not having the balls for a proper release!

• Like 2

Watched perhaps the worst movie of my life last night.  It's called Raiders of the Lost Shark.  It's like a bunch of friends threw in $10,000 each and came up with 50K and decided to make a movie with no experience.  The shark is some of the worst cgi you can imagine, the acting is about as good as Plan Nine From Outer Space and the girls in bikinis are flabby.  There is no blood, people/characters are introduced simply to die but you don't even see them get eaten.  It has 0 production value and worst of all it's a Canadian film.  

• Like 1

Watched perhaps the worst movie of my life last night.  It's called Raiders of the Lost Shark.  It's like a bunch of friends threw in $10,000 each and came up with 50K and decided to make a movie with no experience.  The shark is some of the worst cgi you can imagine, the acting is about as good as Plan Nine From Outer Space and the girls in bikinis are flabby.  There is no blood, people/characters are introduced simply to die but you don't even see them get eaten.  It has 0 production value and worst of all it's a Canadian film.  

Yup, I am totally watching it back to back with Sharknado 3 later this month :lol: 

• Like 1

I am pretty sure they were going for a PG-13 rating. Their viral marketing was aimed at teens. The movie also seems to be rated very late in the game and I wonder if it is because of some plot point that they simply couldn't modify to get a PG-13 rating.

Maybe it was because the R rated horror movies tend to do better than the PG13 ones.

Maybe it was because the R rated horror movies tend to do better than the PG13 ones.

I think R rated horror with built in audiences certainly do better.

I'm excited for S2, TGI, and CP the most. Two have the potential of being great and the other I'm very skeptical of.

English...do you speak it?  LOL

What movies are you talking about?

• Like 1

The problem isn't that they are making too many supernatural movies, it is that they are making too many shitty movies and found footage was the worst thing to happen to the genre. It gave them an excuse to make bad movies with bad acting, bad direction and horrible production value because, hey, this is just some found footage.

Agree but it's not just found footage that's the problem... it's the fact that it doesn't take a big budget to make something scary. Found footage, slasher, jump scares, gore, etc. are all super cheap. Micro budgets allow for little risk and enormous upside so they just mass produce them. If you make 5 horror movies for $5M a piece and one breaks out and turns a $25M profit, it doesn't matter if the other 4 are huge messes.

Right now the horror genre is kind of like a junk bond market. Make a bunch of crap cheaply and hope something sticks. What the genre needs is someone who cares more about making a masterpiece of horror than a quick buck. Unfortunately, more often than not that's not Blumhouse so we see a LOT of subpar horror.

• Like 2