CoolioD1

SAG Nominations

The last time a film got Ensemble and nothing else was in 2007. 3:10 to Yuma and Hairspray, but that was a very strange year and neither of those were serious BP contenders a la TGBH. Those two films only hit SAG ensemble out of major awards (well Hairspray hit some C/M stuff in a very weak C/M year but the GGs barely count for much anyways). So if this is the SAG precedent then I'm not very optimistic on TGBH's chances anymore.... :unsure:  :unsure:

The year before Bobby had the same thing and that was marketed as a serious awards contender and got completely snubbed by BAFTA and AMPAS, but that was probably due to bad reviews more than anything else. 46% on RT.... LOL

And Hustle and Flow the year before that only hit BP at GG-Drama. Though it got an BA nod at AMPAS but not at SAG despite hitting Ensemble... Crazy. 

And before that was 2003 when In America, which was screenplay strong only ended up getting screenplay and acting at AMPAS and no picture...) and ROTK, but that was a totally different beast. ROTK was undeniable for best picture and it won the SAG, which TGBH won't. 

Before that it's also happened three times, for The Two Towers, Moulin Rouge and the Full Monty (but this was pretty early in SAG history when they were still getting the footing and doing random shit so this may not be the best example). So there is a chance, but if you go by past examples of this situation, the chances aren't particularly good. 

Isn't the boy the lead in boyhood?

He is but co-leads happen all the time. 

The last time a film got Ensemble and nothing else was in 2007. 3:10 to Yuma and Hairspray, but that was a very strange year and neither of those were serious BP contenders a la TGBH. Those two films only hit SAG ensemble out of major awards (well Hairspray hit some C/M stuff in a very weak C/M year but the GGs barely count for much anyways). So if this is the SAG precedent then I'm not very optimistic on TGBH's chances anymore.... :unsure:  :unsure:

Midnight in Paris. Which is why I used that comparison.

Midnight in Paris. Which is why I used that comparison.

Ah.... I missed that one. Maybe then. Though AMPAS loves Woody Allen, they even tossed him yet another screenplay nom last year despite all the controversy of child abuse and whatnot. 

• Like 1

I would consider both Arquette and Hawke leads in terms of screentime, but I suppose story wise they would be supporting. Either way, get them the nominations and hopefully a win for Arquette! 

I think someone said Arquette is only in the movie for about 40 minutes if you time it. it's a 165 minute movie. so in terms of screentime I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I would consider both Arquette and Hawke leads in terms of screentime, but I suppose story wise they would be supporting. Either way, get them the nominations and hopefully a win for Arquette! 

Arquette's screentime is pitiful tho.... It's something less than half an hour in 3 hours of film. Someone on AW timed this the other day... Hawke is close to 1 hour. 

EDIT: Someone on AW counted 30 minutes and someone quoted someone on IMDB who coutned 23 minutes. Either way, it's pitifully short. 

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

WTF at Watts being nominated, she was easily the weakest part of St. Vincent

And lol at riczhang breaking down about random shit off-the-wall predicts (TOE being this year's DBC, expecting a Hawke and Ruffalo snub at the Oscars, Eddie WINNING)

So I'm assuming that Selma is this year's Django/Wolf of Wall Street memorial "whoops, forgot to send out screeners to the SAG!" award winner?

Anyway, hell yea, Jake!

Hopefully b/c Selma did more screenings than Django and WOWS.