narniadis

Friday numbers (Exodus 8.7 mill)

Why are you all so down that Exodus is disappointing? It deserves what it has got. 

And the disappointments of Penguins and Horrible Bosses 2 are things to be happy about.

We want less sequels and remakes and spin-offs that absolutely do not need them. 

Too bad Dumb and Dumber stabilized a bit. 

Though I really liked Mockingjay, its disappointment also reinforces that two part splits are stupid and unnecessary for every damn franchise. At least change the title. 

As for Big Hero 6 and Interstellar, the former is a pretty crappy film masquerading as progressive but will still make $200m which is more than the superior Tangled and Wreck It Ralph and the latter is actually doing really well considering what it actually became. I mean, did anyone really expect BH6 to make more than it's going to end up with? No reason for it to. And Interstellar has recovered very well and has had great legs. 

The box office may not have been on fire but the results for all films are pretty deserved so far. 

• Like 2

I honestly think we should be prepared for a slump that's going to last for a few months. It's gonna be quite a while until people are truly excited about going to the movies again, especially from looking at the early year slate.

Selma could break out and end up at 100 domestic if it ends up winning Best Picture at The Oscars.  More GA friendly than 12 Years a Slave.  Imitation Game could break out and get to 80 domestic if it wins awards.  Although with Imitation Game it is tough to know if audiences will turn away from a movie about a homosexual person.  Milk received amazing reviews but only made like 25 domestic.

Selma and American Sniper could do very well expanding into the New Year. 

Seriously 2015 could really be on fire from the first weekend, even if NATM3 and Annie disappoint as it looks like they were going to since announcement. 

• Like 1

Saw:

Into The Woods. Hated it. Starts out OK but goes on forever, feels pointless, and the singing becomes more and more annoying. C-

The Imitation Game. Solid and entertaining but conventional and generic. Hits all the right notes to become a big hit, though. B

Theory of Everything. See above, but with less commercial potential. B

Wild. Not as good as the book but very solid. Nice comeback for Witherspoon. B+

A Most Violent Year. Excellent. Slow burn, but not slow. A-

Foxcatcher. Very compelling, draws you in and doesn't let go. But not for for every taste. A-

2 Days, 1 Night. Very simple but very effective. Marion Cotillard gives the best performance of the year. A-

Still Alice. Not as good as the book, feels a bit like a TV movie, but who doesn't love Julianne Moore? B

Top Five. Funny, profane, refreshing. Give Rosario Dawson more good roles! B+

Edited by Boogie Nights
  • Like 3

Though I really liked Mockingjay, its disappointment also reinforces that two part splits are stupid and unnecessary for every damn franchise. At least change the title. 

MockingJay's performance does nothing but reinforce that doing final film splits is a great idea. It's not like a single third film would've made anywhere near what the two parts will. Same goes for The Hobbit. Maybe the critical reception isn't as good, but they're making lots more money.

• Like 3

Usually this time of year is exciting for boxoffice, but I'm finding it incredibly dull so far. The interesting holdovers are nearing the end and the new stuff just isn't interesting. Heck, this is the first time I've looked at this thread due to complete indifference about Exodus (I saw it yesterday, meh, :mellow: ).

At least X-mas day looks like it should be good.