iceroll

BOT's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time - COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (Top 20 Time! Starts p.17)

Would Korra have gone up in the rankings if the finale had aired before the votes had to be in?

Definitely. I'm already kicking myself for not placing it in my Top 10 despite not starting Book 4 at the time. That Book 3 ending with Jinora being anointed as Airbender Master, complete with shaved head and tats, and a battered but not broken Korra sitting on the side, managing one single tear, is a goosebump inducing scene all by its self.  

• Like 1

I stopped watching korra but after all the reactions from the last season, I feel like I should continue watching it...

The first season is probably the weakest. They thought it was going to be a one-and-done season, so didn't really plan ahead for future arcs and development. Additionally, all the writing was done by Bryke. They are pretty masterful showrunners, but they have weaknesses as screenwriters that were pretty apparent. Once they hired on a writing staff for individual epsodes, the quality tended to improve.

The first season is probably the weakest. They thought it was going to be a one-and-done season, so didn't really plan ahead for future arcs and development. Additionally, all the writing was done by Bryke. They are pretty masterful showrunners, but they have weaknesses as screenwriters that were pretty apparent. Once they hired on a writing staff for individual epsodes, the quality tended to improve.

Nah, I haven't watched since the second season because the second season was so bad, even though the first was eh

I need to catch Book 3 and 4 still

Nah, I haven't watched since the second season because the second season was so bad, even though the first was eh

I need to catch Book 3 and 4 still

Book 2's weakness is Unalaq. Among the four main villains, he's easily the poorest in concept and writing. But other than him, there's a lot of cool meaty stuff there.

Books 3 and 4 combined are among the best TV ever.

• Like 1

???? You have VARRICK as your avi! Though on second thought, it makes complete sense why you would betray Korra if you have Varrick as your avi.

tumblr_inline_ngi974XQA31t3l9ok.gif

I agree that I wouldn't call the first season weaker than the second. Book 2 is way more inconsistent but I loved it once they hit the point with the First Avatar and Raava/Vaatu mythos. Books 3 and 4 are insane however.

Avatar Book 3 > LOK Book 3 > Avatar Book 2 > Avatar Book 1 > LOK Book 4 > LOK Book 1 > LOK Book 2

LOK 4 > LOK 3 > ATLA 2 > ATLA 3 > ATLA 1 > LOK 2 > LOK 1

I agree that I wouldn't call the first season weaker than the second. Book 2 is way more inconsistent but I loved it once they hit the point with the First Avatar and Raava/Vaatu mythos. Books 3 and 4 are insane however.

Book 2 isn't more inconsistent than 1. It has a weaker written villain, but it does follow a clear arc, unlike 1, which has some really uneven pacing. It also has a much stronger ending.

I'd argue that many of the problems with Book 2 are because of issues with Book 1. Had they not felt the need to wrap everything up, they could have gone into Book 2 without returning everyone's bending. That then allows them to set it up where Korra's still the Avatar, but she can only airbend and NEEDS to find a connection with the Spirit World in order to fix this problem. That then makes her desperate to try anything that works, even falling to Unalaq's schemes.

Plus Book 2 has some much better secondary character moments. All the stuff with Varrick is much better than anything having to do with Pro Bending.

• Like 1

Book 2 isn't more inconsistent than 1. It has a weaker written villain, but it does follow a clear arc, unlike 1, which has some really uneven pacing. It also has a much stronger ending.

I'd argue that many of the problems with Book 2 are because of issues with Book 1. Had they not felt the need to wrap everything up, they could have gone into Book 2 without returning everyone's bending. That then allows them to set it up where Korra's still the Avatar, but she can only airbend and NEEDS to find a connection with the Spirit World in order to fix this problem. That then makes her desperate to try anything that works, even falling to Unalaq's schemes.

Plus Book 2 has some much better secondary character moments. All the stuff with Varrick is much better than anything having to do with Pro Bending.

Yeah, Book 2 would've been stronger if they had left Korra and Lin's recovery for it but the fact that that was already used up in the Book 1 finale did make that finale an incredibly strong one.

Book 1 has this weirdly awesome and exciting kinetic energy to it as well. Once you get past the initial disbelief of "How did the world advance THIS MUCH in 80 years?", it is fun exploring the new settings, learning about the new issues and getting to meet the legacy characters. The "Occupy Movement" and racial profiling tinged themes of Book 1 were very fascinating as well. Pro-bending vs. Varrick is a pretty subjective thing, I guess, coming down to what you like more, sports or movies. I love Aubrey Plaza but Esna/Deska and their Bolin subplot played for the lolz was really dragging. And I didn't like the fact that the spirits could now be punched physically even by ordinary non-benders.  

Pro bending was suuuuch a waste of time. It had nothing to do with the plot besides Korra meeting Bolin/Mako (which could have been done a million other ways) and it didn't even look cool/pretty!

Hey, I thought it was pretty neat! And I thought they made it pretty clear that the pro-bending events worked as a social glue bringing together people from all strata of bending and non-bending societies. That was the reason the Equalists targeted the finals.

Pro-bending also helped distinguish Korra's star jock persona from Aang's humble nomadic monk right from the outset, IMO.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Korra's biggest drawback is

that poor Asami severely suffers from the Ginny Weasley Syndrome of lack of character development for the protagonist's love interest. I had a similar issue with Suki from ATLA, but since Suki wasn't part of the core gang and neither was she the protagonist's love interest, it was far less of a problem. Sadly, Asami's strongest moments were way back in Book 1.

It slightly removes the edge off the ballsy ending for me.  

ETA: Spoiler tagging just in case, even though several websites are mentioning this info right in their article and banner headings.

Edited by Spidey Freak

Avatar Book 3 > LOK Book 3 > Avatar Book 2 > Avatar Book 1 > LOK Book 4 > LOK Book 1 > LOK Book 2

Avatar Book 3 > Avatar book 2 (Because of epic final, had the weakest and the best episodes) > Avatar book 1 >>>>> Korra 4 > korra 3 >> korra 1>>>>>>>>>> korra 2 (If i had to rate this it would be 4/10)