iceroll

BOT's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time - COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (Top 20 Time! Starts p.17)

I feel like the series captures the heart of the books (from what I've read so far) and keeps up the pace. Just like LOTR or Harry Potter you can't expect it to follow the books exactly because what works when you read doesn't necessarily work on screen.

I know. Honestly, there's only one thing that would make me think the show beats the book: it handled Daenerys better. Not all along the way, but in the last season, compared to the third/fifth book. And that really made me happy since she's by har my favourite character.

Edited by James

Disagree highly, A Song of Ice and Fire (book and movie series) has become one of my favorite pieces of art ever. It's better than LOTR movies and books.

While i desagree at being better than LOTR, because it's not, It's also my favorite serie of all time so far. 

Here's a shows by channel breakdown:

ABC (6)

Twin Peaks
The Wonder Years
Lost
Once Upon A Time
Modern Family 
Alias

Adult Swim (1)
Rick and Morty

AMC (3)
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Walking Dead

BBC (7)
Blackadder
Doctor Who
Sherlock
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Rome
The Office - UK Version
Pride and Prejudice 

Cartoon Network (5)
Teen Titans
Justice League Unlimited
Dexter's Laboratory
Samurai Jack
Justice League

CBS (12)
The Good Wife
The Twilight Zone
M*A*S*H
NCIS
Person of Interest
The Mentalist
How I Met Your Mother
The Muppet Show
Survivor
The Big Bang Theory
I Love Lucy
Scooby-Doo

Comedy Central
South Park

CW
Arrow

Disney Channel
Kim Possible

Fox (12)
The Simpsons
Batman: The Animated Series
House MD
Malcolm in the Middle
The X-Files
Firefly
King Of The Hill
Glee
Futurama
Family Guy
Arrested Development

FX (7)
Sons of Anarchy
American Horror Story
The Shield
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Archer
Justified
Fargo

HBO (8)
The Wire
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Game of Thrones
Deadwood
Band of Brothers
Oz
True Detective

NBC (21)
Chuck
Seinfeld
Homicide: Life On The Streets
Friday Night Lights
Community
V: The Mini Series
Freaks and Geeks
Cheers
Friends
The A-Team
The Cosby Show
The West Wing
The Office - US
Heroes
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Parks and Recreation
Scrubs
Hannibal
Saturday Night Live
Columbo
Star Trek

Netflix (2)
Orange is the new black
Arrested Development

Nickelodeon (4)
The Legend Of Korra
Rugrats
SpongeBob SquarePants

PBS
Sesame Street

Sci-Fi
Battlestar Galactica

Showtime
Dexter

Syndication
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Pokemon
Dragonball Z

WB (4)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Gilmore Girls
Angel
Smallville
  • Like 5

Iceroll thank for taking the time and effort to do this. If I could add one suggestion maybe take out some of the bells and whistles when presenting. The pages were a bitch to load

They would have been shorter if people didn't quote the entire post though haha.

I like my stuff to be very visual and information-packed though.

• Like 4

You're what 14? Of course barely anybody your age watches it (or admits they do), and those that do haven't cognitively developed enough to actually understand what makes it so great (because at that age all any guy cares about in film are boobs and explosions, which fits your friends description). Don't trust your tween peers opinions on anything, all 12-18ish year olds are idiots. (No offense you'll grow out of it one day like everybody else who was a 12-18 year old)

Sorry but I am not an idiot, I love the show, love the politics. And I think it isn't very smart to use the word 'all' because that would mean that everyone is the same at that age.

Game of Thrones shouldn't be #2. The first season is a perfect example of how you adapt an epic fantasy novel to television, but since then D&D can't resist screwing around with their personal fanfiction bits and some bizarre and indulgent changes/additions that play havoc with the pacing and content of individual episodes at times.

• Like 3

Sorry but I am not an idiot, I love the show, love the politics. And I think it isn't very smart to use the word 'all' because that would mean that everyone is the same at that age.

Tell me what you think of your teenage self in 10 years then get back to me on that.

Some teenagers are smarter than others but they're still teenagers.

• Like 1

"No show is ranked where it is supposed to be." - Everyone in this thread.

I do think that judging by the amount of high rated cable dramas that not enough people have seen Deadwood, Rome, and Carnivale given their respective positions.  That seems to be a flaw in using a cumulative points system, it tends to lean towards what has been viewed by a wider audience.  I really can't see a way around that problem, though.

"No show is ranked where it is supposed to be." - Everyone in this thread.

I do think that judging by the amount of high rated cable dramas that not enough people have seen Deadwood, Rome, and Carnivale given their respective positions.  That seems to be a flaw in using a cumulative points system, it tends to lean towards what has been viewed by a wider audience.  I really can't see a way around that problem, though.

Well the shows sorted by average sort of accounts for that, it's a pretty different list from the general one though.

• Like 1

Breaking Bad is really the only show where I've never come across anyone who really hates on it. i recall mixed opinions a few years ago but that seems to have disappeared since the third season. It's a worthy #1 even if it isn't my personal choice

Yeah it's a show that you can't really go wrong with at number one even if you have something different (The Wire, The Sopranos, The Shield, Deadwood) in that spot yourself. It's a perpetual top three choice.
  • Like 1

I think if Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino got the budget and freedom to do a more mature show in the Avatar universe, that could have the potential to top the all-time TV list. 

Imagine another long-spanning hero's arc like Avatar: The Last Airbender that was planned out from the start, but with the animation of Legend of Korra and the ability to include mature themes like actually showcasing bloodbending. People would actually get burnt by firebending, you could suffocate people with airbending etc.

I really hope Netflix gives them a shot.

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 2

Wait what? Where's Breaking Bad? I like Teletubbies a hell of a lot more than Breaking Bad but I was expecting the latter to win...

edit: Iceroll you had me.  :lol:

ty for doing this :)

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

Game of Thrones shouldn't be #2. The first season is a perfect example of how you adapt an epic fantasy novel to television, but since then D&D can't resist screwing around with their personal fanfiction bits and some bizarre and indulgent changes/additions that play havoc with the pacing and content of individual episodes at times.

Yeah, this. The first and the third seasons were very good, and the show cast great people and nailed individual moments (the very first scene of the pilot, the climactic events of the last two S1 episodes, the Red Wedding), but if I want to revisit the story there's no question I'll just pick up the books again.