iceroll

BOT's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time - COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (Top 20 Time! Starts p.17)

Yeah, this. The first and the third seasons were very good, and the show cast great people and nailed individual moments (the very first scene of the pilot, the climactic events of the last two S1 episodes, the Red Wedding), but if I want to revisit the story there's no question I'll just pick up the books again. 

I guess book readers aren't as big of a fan of the adaptation, which is understandable because book readers for any show/movie rarely feel fully satisfied with the adaptation. 

But for non-readers like myself, GOT is a pretty amazing show filled with incredible plot, characters, and twists.

• Like 1

Game of Thrones shouldn't be #2. The first season is a perfect example of how you adapt an epic fantasy novel to television, but since then D&D can't resist screwing around with their personal fanfiction bits and some bizarre and indulgent changes/additions that play havoc with the pacing and content of individual episodes at times.

I'm sorry but D&D did what they had to do. Some character arcs in the books have been derailed because GRRM has lost his pacing after Book 3. The Daenerys and Tyrion arcs are just stagnating or gone off on too much of a tangent, prominent characters like Jaime have been benched and if rumours are to be believed, characters who don't have much of an impact on the endgame are getting too much focus. D&D are just streamlining the storyline by getting rid of the inconsequential and fleshing out aspects that actually matter.

• Like 1

I guess book readers aren't as big of a fan of the adaptation, which is understandable because book readers for any show/movie rarely feel fully satisfied with the adaptation. 

But for non-readers like myself, GOT is a pretty amazing show filled with incredible plot, characters, and twists.

It helps to have amazing source material that contains all of that incredible plot, character, and twists.  And it seems like most book readers are fully satisfied with the first season.  The problem I've had with D&D as they've tried to condense the books to TV is they seem to lack the understanding of some of the character motivations that lead up to key events that they have to use from the books.

I'm sorry but D&D did what they had to do. Some character arcs in the books have been derailed because GRRM has lost his pacing after Book 3. The Daenerys and Tyrion arcs are just stagnating or gone off on too much of a tangent, prominent characters like Jaime have been benched and if rumours are to be believed, characters who don't have much of an impact on the endgame are getting too much focus. D&D are just streamlining the storyline by getting rid of the inconsequential and fleshing out aspects that actually matter.

Which is a failed argument when you realize how much dead-end personal fluff D&D have injected that has crowded out some very important time for plot and character movement.

• Like 1

Which is a failed argument when you realize how much dead-end personal fluff D&D have injected that has crowded out some very important time for plot and character movement.

What is this personal fluff? The only thing I can think of is the Roz sexposition and they put an end to that a long time ago. Every other scene has just been about character and plot.

• Like 1

What is this personal fluff? The only thing I can think of is the Roz sexposition and they put an end to that a long time ago. Every other scene has just been about character and plot.

The most recent infamous example was the Cousin Orson Beetle Monologue. In a crucial episode that had a lot of necessary character and plot points to hit on, it spent five minutes rambling about a point the show had driven into our skulls 20 times before.

• Like 1

The most recent infamous example was the Cousin Orson Beetle Monologue. In a crucial episode that had a lot of necessary character and plot points to hit on, it spent five minutes rambling about a point the show had driven into our skulls 20 times before.

I kind of like those little moments though, I hate it when shows go plotplotplot and don't slow down a bit for those introspective character scenes. There's no way they can fit every book plotpoint because those books are so massive and dense.

• Like 3

Yeah, but compared to the books, the TV version is a paragon of brevity and eliminating unnecessary characters.  I mean, the books take characters you *know* are going to be crucial at the end and set them aside for *entire books* at a time while spending chapters talking about someone's aunt or something.

I mean, I guess for all I know the final battle against the Walkers will be Bronn and Penny leading the troupe of Mummers plus Arya's street urchins because Daenerys, Tyrion and Jon Snow will all long be dead, so who's to say who the big characters will be. 

But... how can Lady Stoneheart *not* be important, and we haven't heard from her in, what, 3 books now?

Edited by Wrath

There's a difference between streamlining and simply erasing things in favor of their own version. Take the casting for Season 5. The single most interesting aspect of Dorne has been erased so they can focus on "Oberyn's sexy feisty warrior daughters."

• Like 1

But like Iceroll said, many people like those moments between characters we have grown to like/love, including me.

There's a difference between streamlining and simply erasing things in favor of their own version. Take the casting for Season 5. The single most interesting aspect of Dorne has been erased so they can focus on "Oberyn's sexy feisty warrior daughters."

Seeing how we have no clue about Arianne's impact on the endgame of the series, criticising the show writers for excluding her character is a vain effort, especially as she has been pretty inconsequential to the overall plot so far despite taking so much page time away from other, more important players.