grim22

BOF's top 25 movies of 2014. Full list Page 5. The forum worships at the altar of Nolan.

TIE: Number 16.2

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – 91 points, appears on 12 lists, #1 on 1 list

XQa2LgN.png

rchM1kl.png

The Hobbit trilogy never quite managed to recapture the public imagination like LOTR has a decade ago. The final movie of the trilogy may be the best of the three just by virtue of being shorter and to the point. Unfortunately, this was one movie which I felt could have used a further 10 minutes to actually give closure to the characters we spent 3 movies with instead of hurriedly getting through the resolution of the plot. Martin Freeman gave a good performance across all 3 movies and so did Ian McKellen and Richard Armitage. I think the trilogy never quite recovered from the first 45 minutes of AUJ which were spent watching dwarfs eat, drink, sing and discuss stuff, and apart from three of them, none of the other dwarfs actually had any role in the final movie at all. Of course with roughly 3B at the WW Box Office, the execs at WB are probably not all that sad about the decision to make 3 movies out of two. This movie did have some inventive setpieces, including the final battle between Azog and Thorin on ice. And then again, the movie also had Legolas skipping on falling rocks, so that evens things out somewhat J

95.jpg aLAl8JI.jpg

Boxoffice: 250M Domestic / 910M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

Yeah, I liked this. A lot of unique action and what little character stuff there was really worked for me. Armitage and Freeman were highlights, especially the latter, who remains perfect casting for Bilbo. The action, as already mentioned, didn't disappoint at all, and I felt like Jackson really showed us some stuff that wouldn't be able to be done in other films. Major flaw of the movie was spending so much time on Alfred lol. A” – Blankments

A nice improvement. B+” – lab276

EiDS7kT.gif

• Like 11

Number 13:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier – 125 points, appears on 18 lists, #1 on 1 list

HcsSv3v.png

UrvmvvJ.png

Marvel bounced back after a disappointing Thor: The Dark World, with this movie. With its mix of espionage plot, the Hydra revelation and Superheroics, the movie sets up the upcoming Avengers movie with the post-credit scene. Chris Evans once again shined as Captain America, but I felt Sebastian Stan was kind of wasted and the revelation didn’t have the intended effect. But this does set-up the MCU going forward as we will definitely see the fallout in coming movies.

Boxoffice: 259M Domestic / 714M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

This movie was brilliant. I'm tempted to say that it's one of the best, if not the best (in my eyes, at least) Marvel movie yet. Everything was perfect, especially the third act (The scene where cap falls into the is simply brilliantly filmed). I only had a problem with Falcon (Just overall, he was weak. I didn't like his suit or his personality - Yes, a few jokes here and there, but nothing to stand out and call him decent), and with the fact that The Winter Soldier was so underused. I mean, I am biased when saying this, but Stan nailed the character. He would've been even better if he got more screen time than that. Loved the first post credits scene (involving the twins) and felt kinda disappointed at seeing the second (It should've been in reverse order: Bucky and then the twins).

Also, loved to see Abed in this movie!

ALSO, the Pulp Fiction reference.

9.5/10” –  ChD

• Like 14

Unlike last year, there was no consensus choice this year for #1. Last year Gravity basically ran away with it almost doubling the points score of the second and third place movies. This year, number 1 and number 2 are separated by 2 points.

I would have probably voted something like this for the top 6:

1. Whiplash

2. Birdman

3. Interstellar

4. Boyhood

5. American Sniper

6. Grand Budapest Hotel

Would it change anything?  :ph34r:

(Keep in mind that I have yet to see Selma, The Theory of Everything, Still Alice, Inherent Vice and Wild)

• Like 2

I would have probably voted something like this for the top 6:

1. Whiplash

2. Birdman

3. Interstellar

4. Boyhood

5. American Sniper

6. Grand Budapest Hotel

Would it change anything?  :ph34r:

(Keep in mind that I have yet to see Selma, The Theory of Everything, Still Alice, Inherent Vice and Wild)

Ask me this same question once the top 10 is revealed tomorrow, or rather you will know the answer.