grim22

BOF's top 25 movies of 2014. Full list Page 5. The forum worships at the altar of Nolan.

Some more movies you won't be seeing in the top 10

Belle

Divergent

Foxcatcher

Enemy

John Wick

A Most Violent Year

The Immigrant

Noah

The Wind Rises

The Drop

Fury

Citizenfour

Transcendence

Leviathan

The Raid 2

Damn, I didn't vote for The Wind Rises because I thought it was considered a 2013 film.  Would have been top 5.

Ugh. Just looked at the list I sent grim and I hate it already.

I just saw Inherent Vice and if I'd been able to post the list now, it would have made my top 10.

Here's what I would have sent, waffling between films I really enjoyed personally and ones I thought were very well constructed:

1. Selma

2. How to train Your Dragon 2
3. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
4. Veronica Mars
5. Ernest & Celestine
6. Boyhood
7. The Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Inherent Vice
9. Big Hero 6
10. Edge of Tomorrow
11. The Wind Rises
12. Interstellar
13. Snowpiercer
14. The Raid 2
15. X-Men: Days of Future Past
16. Locke
17. The Book of Life
18. Birdman
19. Noah
20. Godzilla
21. Under the Skin
22. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
23. The Rover
24. Mr. Peabody & Sherman
25. Into the Woods

I'm keep flipping my #2 and #3 back and forth.

Number 25

Godzilla49 points, appears on 15 lists

17hV8TY.png

imzXOkf.png

Godzilla was probably the most divisive movie of the year, and there were two clear camps “Not enough Godzilla” and “Just the right amount”. One thing both camps could agree on though was that it was better than the Emmerich Godzilla. Gareth Edwards created some memorable setpieces let down by the thin plot. Bryan Cranston delivered a good albeit short performance, unfortunately the rest of the performances were not that good. Everytime Godzilla shows up, the movie picks up a lot, as evidenced by all 8 minutes of Godzilla shown below.

http://youtu.be/9YsnZ4bYIjs

Boxoffice: 200M Domestic / 530M WW

BOF User Reviews:

Was there a perfect amount of Godzilla? Hell yes. I was worried to some extent by the early complaints on twitter there wasn't enough, but they were exaggerating or were expecting a 2 hour monster bash. The human factor is usually the key, but Godzilla in the end, is what makes this movie. Its a joy to see him on big screen, in CGI form, back with the western audiences, not like that Zilla. Godzilla also does atomic breath don't worry and his spines also turn color.

Good job Edwards. I personally think he nailed the movie and Godzilla. Now I want to see a sequel with Gigan. Imagine a sequel with those fights. How they would implement it would be a mystery. Or maybe a destroy all monsters.” – BoxofficeZ

It's not great, but damn if my  jaw didn't drop a couple times in this film.”- Adam

:sick:

After that barrage of 6 movies, here are the movies which are at the extreme bottom of the list of movies received, these movies received at least 1 vote in the "Best movies of the year" list.

Wish I Was Here

What If

300: Rise of an Empire

Oculus

Paddington

We Are The Best

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

The Other Woman

Blended

Hercules

Proxy

The Trip To Italy

Rich Hall

Art and Craft

The Grand Seduction

Non-Stop

3 days to kill

A Most Wanted Man

Life Itself

As Above, So Below

Into the Storm

Horrible Bosses 2

Sex Tape

The Hundred Foot Journey

That Awkward Moment

Wild tales

Magic in the moonlight

Laggies

The Lunchbox

Men, Women and Children

I've only seen one film on that list, and I voted for it :P

• Like 1

Number 18

American Sniper – 68 points, appears on 9 lists, #1 on 2 lists

EAA0bYE.png

gEaZywg.png

American Sniper is on its way to set records, be the #1 movie of 2014 and challenge “Passion of the Christ” for highest grossing R-rated movie of all time. It is also generating heated debates regarding the politics of the movie as well as Chris Kyle’s real life heroics. I found the movie to be pretty entertaining and on an IMAX screen, the war scenes really stand out. I felt the movie could have gone into his PTSD more than it did, and the episodic nature while lending itself to telling a single story did slow things down and didn’t let us get a clear idea of him as a family man. Bradley Cooper was really good in the movie. Clint Eastwood and Bradley Cooper teamed together to give us a movie you either love or hate, but it’s run cannot be ignored. Even fake baby agrees.

AwkjIYI.gif

Boxoffice: 227M Domestic / 275M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

It is quite traditional story telling at first.  You have  a man raised in a quite a conservative setting, who is very patriotic. Then sees his country under attack and responds to the call and wages war.

Starts the war with him being a hero and wanting to make a difference. However the movie then takes a more modern approach when the patriot sees the war play out (sort of like at first many were gleefully beating the War Drums to Baghdad and then public opinions changed). He tries to stick the old ways but everyone else around him isn't and grows disillusioned.

So it seems to be at first a very pro war film but its actually sort of anti war film.

B+” – LordMandeep

An intense and effective examination of Chris Kyle, American Sniper avoids both politics and picking a side on war and instead looks at the man caught in the battle. The embellishments that have been made to make Kyle's story feel more "cinematic" work for the film, and it never once becomes preachy. The film's biggest strength is Bradley Cooper, giving what is easily his best performance yet (and I've been a big fan of his for years). It's a fully-realized performance that makes us understand Kyle's actions. The only other person in the cast of importance is Sienna Miller, who brings life to what could've been a thankless supportive-but-distanced wife part. Some of the pacing in the middle could've been strengthened while some sections could've been fleshed out a bit, which are really my only complaints about the film. This is easily Clint Eastwood's best movie since Million Dollar Baby, and is also one of the better war movies of the last several years altogether. A must-see just for Cooper's excellent performance alone. A-” – Filmlover

you just had to use the fake baby gif didn't you? :P