Noctis

Christmas Numbers: Unbroken 15.59, ITW 15.1, BOFTA 13.1, NATM 7.35 (official estimates) | full BOM list on p22

Yeah.... I recognised the dress but just thought that it was a really good Photoshop job of Gilda's head on streeps dress lol.

But Hollywood royalty at its finest. We only need DDL and the picture will be complete.

Maybe Jolie casts DDL and Streep in AFRICA? Hear the wife role is pretty good, though Goddess is really above "wife" roles.

• Like 1

I don't understand Unbroken numbers, unremarkable marketing. I guess people are desperate for an adult drama.

I think the marketing was great, Universal even capitalized NBC's Olympics coverage to promote this early on. The poor reviews and awards shutout (and Jolie's chicken pox) dampened things though and made me question if this could still breakout but looks like it didn't matter at all

• Like 3

I think people are just happy their favorite stars are having success. 

Nothing worng with being happy about a movie's success, some people just take the idolatry too far.

Based on RTH early early projections though, looks like we have at least 2 hits on out hands. I think the inspirational message was well-portrayed in the marketing for Unbroken, and that seems to have connected well with the GA.

Into the Woods might be making even bigger numbers if it had more showtimes and theaters. I'm still surprised that it only got a single screen at the theaters here in town.

• Like 2

Nothing worng with being happy about a movie's success, some people just take the idolatry too far.

Based on RTH early early projections though, looks like we have at least 2 hits on out hands. I think the inspirational message was well-portrayed in the marketing for Unbroken, and that seems to have connected well with the GA.

Into the Woods might be making even bigger numbers if it had more showtimes and theaters. I'm still surprised that it only got a single screen at the theaters here in town.

Disney did not want a war with the Dame after Maleficent lol

• Like 2

Jolie is a bad bitch. Suck it Rudin. If this really opens to 40+ then her industry status is so cemented.

As an actress it was cemented a long time ago, IMO. She is one of the only female draws in the industry. She will get tons of offers as a director after this, tho. 

• Like 2

I think this stands are proof for the umpteenth time that even if shit like Exodus or HB2 or Madgascar flops, and even if Hobbit and HG disappoint for logical reasons, the box office is not in "recession." It is not failing due to on-demand or the economy. When appealing movies are produced with strong marketing, they will make money. I think in the coming weeks Selma, Taken, American Sniper, and Wedding Ringer will all prove this to be true, even if things like Blackhat or Woman in Black flop.

Most of the movies you are talking about will do their business in January of 2015.

And inflation and 3 d hide the fact that the real trend of the us box office for the last 6,7 years is on the downside.

I'll say, I would have guessed Unbroken is the kind of movie that needs great reviews to thrive, but the story must have sold alone. It's allegedly a huge crowd pleaser, so it may stick around for quite some time. Maybe if WOM is strong enough, it could develop into a more populist Oscar choice and sneak into Best Picture, somewhat like Benjamin Button did last year. I have no interest in seeing it, but I'm nonetheless happy for Jolie. She's been having an excellent year. Also, that's really strong for Into The Woods. Even without the relatively low theater count, it was never going to have a day as high as Les Mis. That musical is just too huge and beloved not to fail, while this was relatively much riskier. Both films did as well as they could have, which turned out to be rather excellent. It's so nice to see a legitimate box office breakout again.

• Like 6