Noctis

Christmas Numbers: Unbroken 15.59, ITW 15.1, BOFTA 13.1, NATM 7.35 (official estimates) | full BOM list on p22

Holy crap.  Didn't see that coming.

Edit - Well, I did actually think UnBroken would come in ahead of Into the Woods for the weekend (basically because of the difference in # of theaters), but I didn't in a million years think either would do that well.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 3

Very impressive for Unbroken. Imagine how high it could get if it was the awards/critical bemoth it was supposed to be. Still, if that number holds, 150 is in the cards.

Only surprised by Into the Woods number due to low TC. Otherwise, had everything going for it- most Christmas-y of the new releases, very strong marketing, star-studded cast, big fanbase for the show, and most importantly, it's a Disney movie about popular fairy tales at a time when both of those things are hot as fire. I thought the movie was pretty good, but the crowd absolutely LOVED it- applause at the end and everything. I could see 175 for this. Gonna have big time WOM. 

• Like 5

Very impressive for Unbroken. Imagine how high it could get if it was the awards/critical bemoth it was supposed to be. Still, if that number holds, 150 is in the cards.

Only surprised by Into the Woods number due to low TC. Otherwise, had everything going for it- most Christmas-y of the new releases, very strong marketing, star-studded cast, big fanbase for the show, and most importantly, it's a Disney movie about popular fairy tales at a time when both of those things are hot as fire. I thought the movie was pretty good, but the crowd absolutely LOVED it- applause at the end and everything. I could see 175 for this. Gonna have big time WOM.

And ITW got great reviews.

• Like 1

I don't know about WOM on Unbroken being so great. Audience didn't seem taken by it. 

But yeah, that would be a huge OD and a big win for Universal/Jolie.

Given that it's a Christmas release, a 4x multiplier is very much in play.

Edited by Saintarcher
  • Like 1

I think this stands are proof for the umpteenth time that even if shit like Exodus or HB2 or Madgascar flops, and even if Hobbit and HG disappoint for logical reasons, the box office is not in "recession." It is not failing due to on-demand or the economy. When appealing movies are produced with strong marketing, they will make money. I think in the coming weeks Selma, Taken, American Sniper, and Wedding Ringer will all prove this to be true, even if things like Blackhat or Woman in Black flop.

• Like 11

This is such great news after a tough couple of weeks. Unbroken flopping with HFPA was really trying for me. Suck it HFPA.

That was really sad :( only made slightly better by grand Budapest hotels performance.

And then Dame got chicken pox. :(

• Like 2