DeeCee

Friday Box Office-MI4-$10.7m SH2-$7.4m

Holiday legs are really saving some of these film's asses.

There's nothing "saved" about these films. Studios calculate this when they pick the release date. They know ahead of time that their films will play well over the holidays. It's not luck that these films are having great legs, it's by design.

I think Dragon Tattoo can get to 85-90 million DOM, which isn't a bad total for a movie of its genre.

I'm holding out hope for 100 mill. If it really is at 60 mill by Monday, then a run of another 40 mill will be difficult for sure, but not impossible.

There's nothing "saved" about these films. Studios calculate this when they pick the release date. They know ahead of time that their films will play well over the holidays. It's not luck that these films are having great legs, it's by design.

Listen to Baumer here.. He speaks the truth

[fishnets] But it's a bad total for a movie of its hype. [/fishnets]BTW I'm a newb so tell me what sorts of drops are we looking at next weekend?

Here is the weekend in 2006 (the last time Christmas and NY fell on a Sunday). You will see that most films fell softly due to the weekend being a little messed up with NYE on a Saturday. If I had to guess, I'd say Holmes might have the biggest drop and the rest would have drops of less than 40%. http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2006&wknd=01&p=.htm

Well the same can be said with Summer but many films didn't benefit from such "design".

I'm holding out hope for 100 mill. If it really is at 60 mill by Monday, then a run of another 40 mill will be difficult for sure, but not impossible.

$100 mio is a lock. I think that Sony will push it hard for oscar nomination (there will be 8 nominees and I think itl`l get the nom-is-award spot with 2 others who also won`t have director spot) which will extend its legs to hit the mark. Nevertheless, Craig`s "star" has been seriously damaged this year which is the most important thing. He must be eliminated as the leading man. he can play support as much as he wants but enough of his boring presence 24-7 in any movie. Hopefully, they`ll get Fass for Bond after Skyfall. How old is Craig,anyway, 57? he sure looks that old. Edited by fishnets

$100 mio is a lock. I think that Sony will push it hard for oscar nomination (there will be 8 nominees and I think itl`l get the nom-is-award spot with 2 others who also won`t have director spot) which will extend its legs to hit the mark. Nevertheless, Craig`s "star" has been seriously damaged this year which is the most important thing. He must be eliminated as the leading man. he can play support as much as he wants but enough of his boring presence 24-7 in any movie. Hopefully, they`ll get Fass for Bond after Skyfall. How old is Craig,anyway, 57? he sure looks that old.

I think you feel about Craig the way I feel about Paltrow. There's just something that irks us about certain people. She really grinds my grears. lol

Well the same can be said with Summer but many films didn't benefit from such "design".

Yea, but look at films from past Christmas periods. Yogi for example had a 6 multiplier. Studios are dumb, but they're not that dumb. Chipmunks is the only real kids film out right now. You don't think Fox knew that coming in? Even Guru mentioned it in his write up on the opening weekend of Chipmunks. Timing is everything.

Here is the weekend in 2006 (the last time Christmas and NY fell on a Sunday). You will see that most films fell softly due to the weekend being a little messed up with NYE on a Saturday. If I had to guess, I'd say Holmes might have the biggest drop and the rest would have drops of less than 40%.http://boxofficemojo...&wknd=01&p=.htm

Why do you think that Homes will drop th most?? it has great WOM..

$100 mio is a lock. I think that Sony will push it hard for oscar nomination (there will be 8 nominees and I think itl`l get the nom-is-award spot with 2 others who also won`t have director spot) which will extend its legs to hit the mark. Nevertheless, Craig`s "star" has been seriously damaged this year which is the most important thing. He must be eliminated as the leading man. he can play support as much as he wants but enough of his boring presence 24-7 in any movie. Hopefully, they`ll get Fass for Bond after Skyfall. How old is Craig,anyway, 57? he sure looks that old.

In my book a lock is when you´re willing to bet your house on it...Dragon lady are far far from locked IMO

I think you feel about Craig the way I feel about Paltrow. There's just something that irks us about certain people. She really grinds my grears. lol

They are frozen tilapias, both of them. That`s what it is. Stuck up frozen tilapias overhyped to be something they are not (coughleadingmaterialcough).

Nahh, you're probably just bitter about Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture in 1998.

That's part of it. But the other part is that she just drives me nuts in her interviews. I just don't like her.

Why do you think that Homes will drop th most?? it has great WOM..

Maybe you're right. I just looked at 2005 and saw King Kong dropped the most and i compared Sherlock to it. I'm probably wrong.

Craig is a box office poison outside Bond. Every film he starred tanked big time. Looking good for MI4, if it does 40m over the 4-day weekend 200m is pretty much locked. You gotta give credit to Paramount, many called them crazy to compete against Holmes, but they knew that the first SH was mediocre at best and they saw the quality film Bird and co. put down the table.