grey ghost

Are studios happy with Kung Fu Panda 2 and POTC4 gross?

Assuming 55% for DOM, 17% for China and 50% for the rest of OS:

Cars 2

DOM: 105M

China: 2M

Rest OS: 174M

Total: 281M

KFP2

DOM: 91M

China: 16M

Rest OS: 203M

Total: 310M

So KFP2 got the studio around 30M more than Cars 2. Comparing with KFP, it got around 8M less, which isn't that big of a difference (and since KFP2 was more frontloaded than KFP in most markets, there might not even be a difference).

So.. Cars lost money.. And KFP broke even.. When P&A is included..

Assuming 55% for DOM, 17% for China and 50% for the rest of OS:

Cars 2

DOM: 105M

China: 2M

Rest OS: 174M

Total: 281M

KFP2

DOM: 91M

China: 16M

Rest OS: 203M

Total: 310M

So KFP2 got the studio around 30M more than Cars 2. Comparing with KFP, it got around 8M less, which isn't that big of a difference (and since KFP2 was more frontloaded than KFP in most markets, there might not even be a difference).

Thanks Fake,

What was the budget for each?

Pirates 4 made a billion freaking dollars worldwide and I think Disney definitely takes as much overseas as they do domestic. Kung Fu Panda 2 is an international hit but both its domestic box office and DVD sales are pretty poor . I don't know how that would affect thinking for a sequel

Edited by Shriekofthevulture

For the most part, I think studios are happy with KFP2 and POTC4's grosses. I mean POTC4 made 1b WW. KFP2's OS numbers are excellent but they have to be wondering how to boost up KFP3's domestic gross (probably a more focused trailer for starters). Seeing as how KFP2 made a lot of money in Asia, they could go the Tintin route and have KFP3 released 1 week earlier in Asian markets than US or day-and-date and go from there.

+1

You can get a lot of numbers from the DWA Investor Relations website:http://ir.dreamworksanimation.com/It mostly the press releases, the annual and quarterly reports that give you the info regarding profitability and so on.Its hard work to collect the numbers for single movies like Shrek and so on. I did it for the BOM forums (in Baumers thread), and all of the data is destroyed now.Maybe somebody else will accept the challenge...

You can get a lot of numbers from the DWA Investor Relations website:http://ir.dreamworksanimation.com/It mostly the press releases, the annual and quarterly reports that give you the info regarding profitability and so on.Its hard work to collect the numbers for single movies like Shrek and so on. I did it for the BOM forums (in Baumers thread), and all of the data is destroyed now.Maybe somebody else will accept the challenge...

I think I remember some of the posts you made on BOM. I remember I was shocked by how little DWA get from their products, or at least the boxoffice revenue.. Paramount is the distributor, and that makes DWA's share of the boxoffice much lower than people might expect. For example, they made only sth like $40m from How to Train Your Dragon's WW boxoffice revenue.When it comes to studios like DWA that can't distribute themselves, how profittable a movie could be is a really different story comparing to what we normally believe. Their investment in filmmaking are MUCH more risky. Edited by vc2002