baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

....although I remember SOLDIER OF ORANGE having some nasty stuff too (admittedly that's not a Hollywood movie).

wow, you know Soldier of Orange!

I think you are the first I know of who knows that movie who lives outside of Europe.... :rock:

Do you happen to know Le Dernier Combat too?

Hauer had some other kind of rough roles too (Jugger,...)

Verhoeven and gruesome.... Starship Troopers

New Star Trek movies:

No Roddenbery gist, I agree. The humor is also a very other one.

Still: I think it's a nice way to spend an afternoon. Not happy with the new Scotty at all (not about his general acting-quality, I think he doesn't match). And the flares :rolleyes:

I think it's difficult to adapt the original TV-series gist into todays movie world (assumed viewers expectations).

• Like 2

9) Kill Bill Volume 1:  Tarantino is a genius most of the time.  Reservoir Dogs is one of the most audaciously brilliant debuts ever and then he followed it up with one of the best films ever made in Pulp Fiction.  But then a funny thing happened on the way to making gobs of money.  I think he began to read his own press clippings.  Jackie Brown was a step down and then he did Kill Bill in which Uma Thurman gets a writing credit.  Basically what that means is that one night while her and QT were up doing shots, they discussed a cool idea of a team of female assassins in which one is screwed over by the others.  This is basically Fox Force 5 that Mia and Vincent discussed in Pulp Fiction.  The problem with the film is that it's not interesting, there's over the top violence and it's all supposed to be an homage to the chop socki movies Tarantino loved as a kid, you know, the ones with names like Sonny Chiba where limbs were lopped off and the kung fu battles would go on for 20 minutes.  Tarantino decided to make a movie based on those films.  But in this case, Uma can take on a room full of 40 ninjas and still come out on top.  Look I get the homage, I too used to watch the same films that Tarantino did.  But there is a fine line between homage and plagiarism.  Tarantino has at times toed the line, here he crosses it and laughs at all of you for liking his shitty film.  The only good thing about this is that it's not nearly as bad as his effort in Grindhouse.  But make no mistake about it, this film has brainwashed all of you into thinking that it's something it isn't.  

Take a look at this image:

kill-bill-vol-2.jpg

As you can see, to kill the Bride, all these guys had to do was have two guys attack her legs, two attack her torso and one go for her head.  She has one sword and no super powers or ability to use the force.  Movie is over, she is dead, bad guys win.

Here's the absurdity for you.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 9

I don't hate the Abrams Trek films, but I don't think they're all that great either.

And no, I didn't like Cumberbatch as Khan. And that Alice Eve picture reminds me of how much she was wasted in the film. I think that she could have played a very good young Carol Marcus - in a better movie, with a better script where her character was actually written to be the same person from Wrath of Khan.

• Like 3

9) Kill Bill Volume 1:  Tarantino is a genius most of the time.  Reservoir Dogs is one of the most audaciously brilliant debuts ever and then he followed it up with one of the best films ever made in Pulp Fiction.  But then a funny thing happened on the way to making gobs of money.  I think he began to read his own press clippings.  Jackie Brown was a step down and then he did Kill Bill in which Uma Thurman gets a writing credit.  Basically what that means is that one night while her and QT were up doing shots, they discussed a cool idea of a team of female assassins in which one is screwed over by the others.  This is basically Fox Force 5 that Mia and Vincent discussed in Pulp Fiction.  The problem with the film is that it's not interesting, there's over the top violence and it's all supposed to be an homage to the chop socki movies Tarantino loved as a kid, you know, the ones with names like Sonny Chiba where limbs were lopped off and the kung fu battles would go on for 20 minutes.  Tarantino decided to make a movie based on those films.  But in this case, Uma can take on a room full of 40 ninjas and still come out on top.  Look I get the homage, I too used to watch the same films that Tarantino did.  But there is a fine line between homage and plagiarism.  Tarantino has at times toed the line, here he crosses it and laughs at all of you for liking his shitty film.  The only good thing about this is that it's not nearly as bad as his effort in Grindhouse.  But make no mistake about it, this film has brainwashed all of you into thinking that it's something it isn't.  

Take a look at this image:

kill-bill-vol-2.jpg

As you can see, to kill the Bride, all these guys had to do was have two guys attack her legs, two attack her torso and one go for her head.  She has one sword and no super powers or ability to use the force.  Movie is over, she is dead, bad guys win.

Here's the absurdity for you.

Reservoir Dogs is shit and the Kill Bill movies are awesome. emot-smug.gif

• Like 2

8) Chicago: At first I thought that maybe musicals just weren't my thing.  Maybe I was just incapable of liking a film where they sing instead of talk.  But then I remembered that I loved Singing in the Rain.  And then years later, I saw Rock of Ages and left the theater with a big goofy grin on my face.  So then I realized, it's not the genre, it's the film.  Chicago, for lack of a better more sophisticated term, sucks.  And not only does it suck, not only did it make piles of money, it freakin won best picture over one of the great films of the decade, The Pianist.  First of all, you have a character played by Zellwegger who is clearly a bad seed, but they play it up like she is some kind of victim.  She's banging the shit out of some guy, he starts abusing her and she blows him away.  Not quite my tempo.  The lip synching is terrible in this film and then to top it all off, Catherine Muthafuckin Jones wins best supporting actress for singing her entire role.  What in the name of FUCK is she doing winning anything for this film.  Even more laughable is that Queen Latifa was nominated for best supporting.  For the life of me, I can't figure why films like Shakespeare in Love and Chicago win best picture.

bob_harvey_weinstein.jpg

Musicals can be good but this isn't one of them.  I mean, you'd think the academy had some outside influence or something into naming this best picture, but that wouldn't be right.  I mean the Oscars are as pure as the driven snow.

16a188d883f4505a880e2edf7e6e3661.jpg

Shakespeare in Love might be a worse win but this isn't far behind.  

I just wish I knew why the academy feels the need and the compulsion to award films like the ones mentioned:

Harvey+Weinstein+Grey+Goose+Soho+House+C

Edited by baumer
  • Like 8

I'm not gonna defend Chicago or anything, but the one musical that left a grin on your face was Rock of Ages? Really?

No, not just a grin, a giant smirk, like Chesire Cat massive grin.  I fucking love that movie.  Cruise, Baldwin, and everyone else were awesome.