CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

Way too many male centered movies overall, it has a lot to do w/ the Academy & many of the other awards esp Picture & Director

Because you can do more with male centred movies. Action movies are the most dominant movies and men are more entertaining to see in action movies than women. Nothing wrong with that, stop moaning.

• Like 1

Oh gosh, a "why aren't more blockbusters nominated for Oscars" argument

Because if they only nominated big blockbusters that everyone saw, studios would stop funding a lot of the other, smaller fare

Awards season is the main reason a lot of these movies find an audience. The big dumb blockbusters already have their audience

You've hit on exactly what the Oscars and the other dozens of awards shows have turned into over the past few decades: Marketing machines for small, unpopular movies that lack mass appeal. Hollywood gerryrigs these things so that movies no one outside a small audience actually wants to see get four months of nonstop publicity. The trophies go to the studios that conduct the best PR campaigns, not to the best nominees in any category.

• Like 3

Hmm, so we're all shitting on Birdman now that it actually won.

Well, I still liked it - though Whiplash winning would have been best of all. I don't know why it was never even in contention. I'm also surprised, if not particularly bothered, that Boyhood got shutout that much. Thought they'd mix the BP and Best Director to please both.

Annoyed by Redmayne's predictable win: stop rewarding British prestige biopics! It encourages our film industry to make nothing else!

Are people actually down on Sniper not winning? The reviews weren't great - is its colossal box office not enough recognition?

Eh American Sniper was on of the best of all nominees anyways, certainly better than Boyhood and Birdman, not that I was expecting a win, but would have been cool to see.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Oh gosh, a "why aren't more blockbusters nominated for Oscars" argument

Because if they only nominated big blockbusters that everyone saw, studios would stop funding a lot of the other, smaller fare

Awards season is the main reason a lot of these movies find an audience. The big dumb blockbusters already have their audience

Yeah but for every BP nominated film we've had this year, there's been a blockbuster that's surpassed it quality wise.

• Like 2

You've hit on exactly what the Oscars and the other dozens of awards shows have turned into over the past few decades: Marketing machines for small, unpopular movies that lack mass appeal. Hollywood gerryrigs these things so that movies no one outside a small audience actually wants to see get four months of nonstop publicity.

While I am often dismayed at how small the circle of films the Academy recognises is every year and how incestuous the campaigning is, I'm not sure what the mass appeal of said films has to do with anything. There've been a handful of blockbusters over the years that I've maybe thought merited a BP nom but I've never seriously thought any of them have been snubbed from winning an actual award. The vast majority are garbage.

For all the problems the Oscars have, at least they're not like the Grammy's which are a deservedly-mocked popularity contest.

• Like 2

I really liked Birdman, but I don't think it was Best Picture-worthy. That being said, Birdman is the only one I have seen of the nominated movies, so who knows, maybe it was the best of the bunch. Then again, I thought Nightcrawler, which wasn't even nominated, was better.

Also, did poorly on my predictions. 16/21. Meh...

• Like 1

sorry, but no

Lowest IMDb, Metacritic and RT score suggest otherwise.

It was just a snore fest. It should never of been nominated in the first place, there were many more deserving movies

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

Lowest IMDb, Metacritic and RT score suggest otherwise.

It was just a snore fest. It should never of been nominated in the first place, there were many more deserving movies

Whats more important, 200 or so movie critics, or millions of paying movie goers? Lol, AMERICAN sniper will be the only film people will remember 10 years from now and rightly so.

• Like 1

Whats more important, 200 or so movie critics, or millions of paying movie goers? Lol, AMERICAN sniper will be the only film people will remember 10 years from now and rightly so.

Your right box office numbers is an indication of quality, :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Your right box office numbers is an indication of quality, :rolleyes:

this little argument always makes me laugh, as if the general audience's opinion on movies is irrelevant but the Academy is to be taken seriously. Birdman is basically another meta movie, based in a world about movies and the academy chose it, no fucking shock right there, just like they did with Argo. The academy's choices are the very example of opinions that should be put in the 'unpopular opinions thread'. Hell 22 jump street was a better Meta movie than Birdman for fuck sake. Whiplash, Theory of everything and Imitation Game were far more interesting than Birdman but of course it walks away with the Oscars because they like to be different with their heads up their ass. Hell Gone Girl would have fit in with the nominations, I wonder why it wasn't nominated? oh right, it was probably too popular for their liking lmao.  I don't even think AS is amazing, but its certainly better than fucking Birdman and Boyhood. But saying AS is the worst of the nominees is just you wanting to look intellectual for making out the most popular among the bunch is the worst lol.

What's the 2 most remembered BP winners of the last 15 years? ROTK and Gladiator, and Gladiator didn't have great reviews either, but just because precious IMDB scores and RT reviewers don't find it all that great, doesn't mean the rest of us normal human beings are wrong lol. Schindlers List is one of the most remembered BP winners of the last 20 years and that didn't exactly ignite the box office, just shows that the academy can sometimes get it right, but its a rare, rare feat.   

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

What's the 2 most remembered BP winners of the last 15 years? ROTK and Gladiator, and Gladiator didn't have great reviews either, but just because precious IMDB scores and RT reviewers don't find it all that great, doesn't mean the rest of us normal human beings are wrong lol. Schindlers List is one of the most remembered BP winners of the last 20 years and that didn't exactly ignite the box office, just shows that the academy can sometimes get it right, but its a rare, rare feat. 

It sounds like you want the Oscars to be just like the Grammys, where someone like Beyonce not winning is considered a major upset.

The fact of the matter is that popular films already get their own reward: money. That doesn't mean popular films shouldn't be awarded if they're any good - but I'd speculate there haven't been many/any deserving ones on recent memory.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

Hans Zimmer should have won best score, there's no arguing it, he was snubbed.

Anyways, another shitty time at the Oscars.

Zimmer's score is underwhelming. It was a default nominee. Desplat deserved the Oscar, and he won it with his best score in a very prolific year, with Godzilla, Unbroken and Imitation game.

• Like 2