CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

nah. If I was gonna come up with a scientific formula for "roles that win supporting actor" JK Simmons in Whiplash would be as close a result as possible.

I don't like category fraud anyway. so I'm glad fox didn't go that way. Fiennes got way closer to an oscar nomination than I thought he would when I saw the movie almost a whole year ago now. (and besides, he won the boffy...)

AMEN TO THAT ON THE BOFFY

Fiennes is a no doubt about it lead in GBH.  As great as the script, direction, production design and supporting actors are it's his performance that drives the film and makes it truly memorable. He deserved to be nominated and IMO win Best Actor over Keaton.

I agree (except with over Keaton), but I'm talking awards politics haha.

Reading that Random Academy's ballot and reasoning on all other categories that's not the person who's opinion Id want to align myself with.  :lol:

I agree. I don't even think LEGO should win Best Song (That song is 3rd personally for me).

• Like 1

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/18/oscars-how-10-academy-members-are-voting-and-why

EW: Oscars: 10 Academy members reveal how they're voting, and why

Best Picture: Boyhood—3 votes

• Birdman—2 votes
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel—2 votes
  • Whiplash—2 votes 
  • Selma—1 vote

Director: Richard Linklater, Boyhood—6 votes

Best Actress: Julianne Moore, Still Alice—6 votes

Best Actor: Michael Keaton, Birdman—6 votes

Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood—6 votes

Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, Whiplash—7 votes

• Like 1

FilmStage gives the links to legal/official free screenplays for a lot of movies, I think mostly Oscar contenders... They seem to plan to add over the time some more, but it is already a nice list IMHO

http://thefilmstage.com/news/download-screenplays-for-gone-girl-the-theory-of-everything-and-more/

• Like 2

So much gold - if I started quoting all the bits I :rofl: over I'd get a warning for excessive quoting. :P

OK, maybe a few...

Everyone wants to be Batman. That's no burden. You know how much I'd pay to be Batman in a movie? At least three dollars. This is an even less dramatic comeback than when Mickey Rourke came back from being a psychotic asshole, only to remind everyone that he is still a psychotic asshole.

I think Hollywood has a special charity fund that they dig into every year just so that they can produce enough low-budget indies to ensure that there are actually five eligible Best Actress nominees.

Is "Morten Tyldum" Elvish for "Ron Howard"?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

The comment about Weinstein's last win-that was only 2 years ago! (Well I remember during the 2011 when right before the commercial break the announcer said "Hugo marks Scorsese's first Oscar nominee since The Departed!" Me: Yeah he only did ONE film between those, so what are you trying to say?)

And 2 years ago Harvey won 3 awards and he still has somewhat of a voice to the Academy-even if he is very egotistical. (well at least its not Kayne West!)

Anyway I could see Sniper or Theory winning screenplay though I am predicting Game.

• Like 2

I also feel somewhat annoyed that none of the films with Best Actress nominees except for the one with the gentle and supportive wife were nominated for almost anything else. The Academy really dropped the ball there, especially when Wild practically came gift wrapped as Oscar bait. I mean, a movie shouldn't be nominated just for having strong women/non-white characters, but I feel like The Academy ignored a lot of really obvious "Nominate me!" choices here. I wouldn't mind if they went for more ballsy films (as much as I dislike Foxcatcher, it's a unique and unexpected choice), but they really dropped the ball this year.

• Like 2