Blankments

Blank's 28 Movies of 2014 That Will Be Way Better Than The Oscars Choices Because The Oscars Suck This Year (TOP 5!)

EkiPpTi.jpg

GcCoGqv.gif

“I just thought there’d be more.”

Release Date: July 11, 2014

Director: Richard Linklater

Runtime: 165 min           

Rated: R

Tomatometer: 98%

IMDB Score: 8.3/10

BOT Average Rating: B (89.0%)

Available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

boyhood.jpg

In the year 2006, little Blankments finally got Internet on his computer at home. As always a movie-obsessed child, one of the first things he did was look up future movies on Wikipedia. He was fascinated by one movie in particular titled Boyhood, apparently releasing in the 2010s. That seemed like a long way away, but he knew he’d see it when it came out, just because it sounded so cool. Filming a kid growing up with a story? That’s sweet! Fast forward to August 4, 2014. Blankments, along with two friends, decided to go on an hour car ride to check out Boyhood just a few days before college began for the three of them. After the film, the three of them discussed their lifestories on the way back, talking about memories they had long forgotten that the movie had re-awoken in them. They all loved the film.

Alright, at this point, it’s getting cliché to say Boyhood is the best movie of 2014. I’ve got to say it is though. Sorry, I’m not a sheep though. Boyhood manages to be an incredibly evocative film that brings so many emotions together, typically at conflicting moments, kind of like life. In fact, I remember commenting after seeing Boyhood, that it could’ve easily been titled “Life” and I wouldn’t have had a problem with it. Time passes by and nothing really eventful happens in Mason’s life, but yet, everything happens. I hope you realize at this point that, much like #2, I’m not going to be discussing technical reasons on why I loved Boyhood. Rather, I’m talking emotion. One scene in particular that stood out to me in this film is when Mason has his hair cut off by his stepfather without his stepfather asking him. My father did the same exact thing, as I always liked having my hair long.

I actually rewatched this movie with my parents a few weeks ago, and my dad said he found it depressing. After all, Mason grows up to be a slacker, druggie, sex addict... according to my dad. According to me though, Mason turns out fine considering all he went through, and I guess that’s life. We all take what’s thrown at us and try to make the best of it. I mentioned my depression in early 2014 before in this countdown; getting tired of life and thinking that’s there’s not a point to it all. Boyhood ingeniously points out that the point to it all is that there is no point, and that is wonderfully poignant in and of itself. Honestly, I still get depressed now and again. I’m moody, pissed off at the world, and disgusted on how it never seems to be getting better. But then I look at Boyhood, and I see Mason. I know Mason isn’t fully mature yet, and I know I’m the same way. One thing notable about my generation compared to others is our odd obsession with nostalgia even though we don’t have much to remember. Boyhood is made for that idea, but also for the idea of retrospect and regret. Richard Linklater has spent twelve years of his life creating this labor of love, and frankly, it will probably the greatest work he has ever done. It might be the greatest work anyone has done in cinema; I just can’t call it the best film ever made until five years has passed because who knows? Perhaps the hype is still overpowering me. Regardless, I’ve seen Boyhood three times and every time, I notice something different about my life and something different about the movie. Boyhood deserves every bit of praise it’s been receiving as it quite honestly the movie that is everything. Boyhood is about love. Boyhood is about disappointment. Boyhood is about maturity. Boyhood is about immaturity. Overall, Boyhood is about life, and it is easily the best film of 2014.

• Like 7

EkiPpTi.jpg

GcCoGqv.gif

“I just thought there’d be more.”

Release Date: July 11, 2014

Director: Richard Linklater

Runtime: 165 min           

Rated: R

Tomatometer: 98%

IMDB Score: 8.3/10

BOT Average Rating: B (89.0%)

Available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

boyhood.jpg

In the year 2006, little Blankments finally got Internet on his computer at home. As always a movie-obsessed child, one of the first things he did was look up future movies on Wikipedia. He was fascinated by one movie in particular titled Boyhood, apparently releasing in the 2010s. That seemed like a long way away, but he knew he’d see it when it came out, just because it sounded so cool. Filming a kid growing up with a story? That’s sweet! Fast forward to August 4, 2014. Blankments, along with two friends, decided to go on an hour car ride to check out Boyhood just a few days before college began for the three of them. After the film, the three of them discussed their lifestories on the way back, talking about memories they had long forgotten that the movie had re-awoken in them. They all loved the film.

Alright, at this point, it’s getting cliché to say Boyhood is the best movie of 2014. I’ve got to say it is though. Sorry, I’m not a sheep though. Boyhood manages to be an incredibly evocative film that brings so many emotions together, typically at conflicting moments, kind of like life. In fact, I remember commenting after seeing Boyhood, that it could’ve easily been titled “Life” and I wouldn’t have had a problem with it. Time passes by and nothing really eventful happens in Mason’s life, but yet, everything happens. I hope you realize at this point that, much like #2, I’m not going to be discussing technical reasons on why I loved Boyhood. Rather, I’m talking emotion. One scene in particular that stood out to me in this film is when Mason has his hair cut off by his stepfather without his stepfather asking him. My father did the same exact thing, as I always liked having my hair long.

I actually rewatched this movie with my parents a few weeks ago, and my dad said he found it depressing. After all, Mason grows up to be a slacker, druggie, sex addict... according to my dad. According to me though, Mason turns out fine considering all he went through, and I guess that’s life. We all take what’s thrown at us and try to make the best of it. I mentioned my depression in early 2014 before in this countdown; getting tired of life and thinking that’s there’s not a point to it all. Boyhood ingeniously points out that the point to it all is that there is no point, and that is wonderfully poignant in and of itself. Honestly, I still get depressed now and again. I’m moody, pissed off at the world, and disgusted on how it never seems to be getting better. But then I look at Boyhood, and I see Mason. I know Mason isn’t fully mature yet, and I know I’m the same way. One thing notable about my generation compared to others is our odd obsession with nostalgia even though we don’t have much to remember. Boyhood is made for that idea, but also for the idea of retrospect and regret. Richard Linklater has spent twelve years of his life creating this labor of love, and frankly, it will probably the greatest work he has ever done. It might be the greatest work anyone has done in cinema; I just can’t call it the best film ever made until five years has passed because who knows? Perhaps the hype is still overpowering me. Regardless, I’ve seen Boyhood three times and every time, I notice something different about my life and something different about the movie. Boyhood deserves every bit of praise it’s been receiving as it quite honestly the movie that is everything. Boyhood is about love. Boyhood is about disappointment. Boyhood is about maturity. Boyhood is about immaturity. Overall, Boyhood is about life, and it is easily the best film of 2014.

wow, I remember looking at Boyhood's IMDB page in 2006 or 2007. and thinking how interesting it sounded, I then kind of forgot about after a couple years, then like in 2013 or beginning of 2014. I saw it again, and i was like that's that movie I looked up ages ago! it's finally coming out! plus you didn't have internet till 2006? wow, also I loved boyhood it was like watching life, even if his life was quite a bit different than mine, which is maybe why I didn't connect to it quite as much as some people. anyways great work blankments.

• Like 1

lkr76oD.png

They say original sci-fi is dead in America. Unfortunately, I can’t use Snowpiercer to argue against it as it is actually a Korean production, but original sci-fi in general certainly isn’t dead. The way I typically pitch Snowpiercer to people is just simply “it’s a good version of Elysium.” I’m gonna talk about Snowpiercer’s filming style before getting into the plot. Director Joon-ho Bong is a Korean filmmaker who made this has his first English language film, and the influence shows, especially through the action and quirk of the movie. The action is freaking badass with profile shots and long takes abound. It’s brutal too, appropriately taking advantage of the R rating. The movie is uber quirky, easily switching from dark comedy to the odd drama it is. Chris Evans gives the best performance I’ve seen from him yet in the lead; he manages to sell an uber-dramatic monologue with probably the oddest subject matter. The real star though is Tilda Swinton, who is quirky and intimidating in her role. I also gotta give a shot out to Bong’s idea to keep Korean actors in the movie and not force them to speak English. It added more to the overall world of the train and allowed the Korean actors to emote better instead of stuttering through the movie *glare at Ken Watanabe.* All in all, Snowpiercer proves dark original sci-fi is still alive in the world of cinema, and manages to be both thought-provoking and entertaining.

FYI, Snowpiercer is an adaptation of a cult french comic titled : " Le transperceneige"

• Like 1

FYI, Snowpiercer is an adaptation of a cult french comic titled : " Le transperceneige"

I'm aware; I was referring to original sci-fi as non-sequel haha, plus, from what I've heard, apparently Snowpiercer only really adapts the setting

Surprised more of a ruckus wasn't from my LEGO placing, but whatever :P Will post full list ASAP

• Like 1

1. Boyhood
  2. The LEGO Movie
  3. Interstellar
  4. Birdman
  5. Selma
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. Locke
  8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  9. 22 Jump Street
  10. Grand Piano
  11. The Interview
  12. Snowpiercer
  13. How to Train Your Dragon 2
  14. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  15. The One I Love
  16. Foxcatcher
  17. We Are The Best!
  18. St. Vincent
  19. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  20. Gone Girl
  21. Into the Woods
  22. Noah
  23. John Wick
  24. The Book of Life
  25. The Raid 2
  26. Big Hero 6
  27. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  28. A Most Wanted Man
  29. Big Eyes
  30. Edge of Tomorrow
  31. Mr. Peabody and Sherman
  32. Neighbors
  33. Nightcrawler
  34. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
  35. The Equalizer
  36. Fury
  37. Life Itself
  38. The Hundred-Foot Journey
  39. Alan Partridge
  40. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Rainbow Rocks
  41. Blue Ruin
  42. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1
  43. Ida
  44. The Maze Runner
  45. Penguins of Madagascar
  46. Into the Storm
  47. Chef
  48. The Fault in Our Stars
  49. Million Dollar Arm
  50. Draft Day
  51. Godzilla
  52. Lucy
  53. Begin Again
  54. Divergent
  55. Non-Stop
  56. Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
  57. This is Where I Leave You
  58. Unbroken
  59. Obvious Child
  60. Muppets Most Wanted
  61. Veronica Mars
  62. Dear Mr. Watterson
  63. The 78 Project Movie
  64. The Identical
  65. Maleficent
  66. Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas
  67. The Double
  68. The Nut Job
  69. The Frame
  70. Magic in the Moonlight
  71. Happy Christmas
  72. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  73. Left Behind
  • Like 6

Great list Blank, and a particularly great job on the write ups for the last 2. 2 films on the opposite end of what they can be thematically, but both show what's so good about cinema as an art form.

Thanks! It's funny you say the last two are great though; I thought I kinda half-assed them because I wrote them immediately after finishing Bojack and trying to get to bed before 5:30 AM :P

SAVING CHRISTMAS over TASM 2, huh?

Saving Christmas has more entertainment value :P

Great list, though I highly disagree on #2 and #3.

LEGO imho just isn't that great and Interstellar is easily in my TOP 3  list of disappointments of 2014.

It's alright, I highly disagree with you highly disagreeing :)