LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Don't you have anything better to do?

But if you must know, if I don't at least see a healthy bump for Selma this weekend, then yes I will be mad. No excuse for Americans to shell out $100m over the weekend on a biopic like AS and completely ignore one like Selma. Even the crappy marketing and awards botching on Paramount's part is not a good enough excuse.

:therethere:

• Like 1

I bet the LBJ controversy has put a dent in Selma's haul. You have to admit it was a very curious decision to write him into a more antagonistic role than he really had. If you're hoping to unite the races for a single cause, it probably won't help if you don't give credit where it's due.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I prefer my overly patriotic movies to star Mel Gibson.

At least those get kick-ass John Williams scores.

American Sniper doesn't cut film legs, it cuts film heads

1238512629_the_patriot.gif

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

Paddington has made its budget back from the UK alone, anything in the US and OS is just gravy. Studiocanal who made the film are likely to make a sequel. 

It'll be interesting how The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel does, the first film did really well as counter programming and this time it has a much easier release date. It is limited release like the first film was or wide.

I think The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel will do good numbers in the U.K., but do worse in the U.S., but still do fine overall. I don't think it's a sequel that's anyone is really asking for honestly.

More like sad. That my country cares so much about gun toting snipers and so little about equality for human beings. The former is a box office draw, the latter isn't. Says it all really.

Tbh im getting a little sick of these movies, and so is maybe the rest of the black audience? Selma, 12 Years, Django, Butler, Fruitvale...its overkill. you see what blacks are currently going through in America, im at the point where im tired of seeing black opression.

Can we see a movie about a black figure that doesnt have to do with A, slavery, B. Civil rights opression, or C. The blight of minority America for once? Im glad Selma was made. The 50's and 60's was a rough, rough time for blacks in America, and it wasnt deserved, but it'd be nice for once in a while to get a movie where we can be shown succesful and impowering, and not being beat down by everyone. Thats why Madea movies and Ride Alongs and Wedding Ringers, and Think Like A Mans, etc do so well. Dont be mad at America for not going to Selma. We choose what we choose.

Chris Kyle has a book and a movie, thats it. MLK has a movie, tv biopics, books, museums, streets, highways, high schools, middle schools, a HOLIDAY, a national monument, probably a video game, and basically 75% of Atlanta named and molded after him. Just because his movie didnt outgross one about a sniper doesnt mean his legacy is less. Honestly in 50 years no one may know who Chris Kyle is, but MLK will live forever, so chill.

• Like 9

I think The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel will do good numbers in the U.K., but do worse in the U.S., but still do fine overall. I don't think it's a sequel that's anyone is really asking for honestly.

The first film was very good and ended perfectly, I'm unsure if a sequel is necessary but I'll see it anyway because of the great cast and I imagine the budget at best will be $15-16m so it doesn't need to do big numbers to make money.

Edited by Jonwo

I really, really, really hate it when stuff like this happens. Someone gets upset when their movie doesn't do well and suddenly it's the commplete fucking collapse of our society/culture and the decaying of our generation, blah blah blah.

It's the aggravating little brother of the shit you see from some people whenever cape movies/sequels/adaptations do well. It's petty as all hell and I'm tired of it.

Oh please. When the two movies in question are both historical biopics and the violence/patriotism fueled one about the white guy who killed people for a living makes 10x over what the MLK one does, how does it not say something about American society? When America has had nothing but problems with gun control violence and racial equality lately? It doesn't mean I'm saying this signals the breakdown of all humanity. But two biopics that should have been on relatively equal playing fields at the box office clearly weren't certainly speaks as to what American audiences find appealing. And that AS is so much more appealing over Selma is a little troubling given current issues in the country.

If I was just throwing a fit about some movie I liked not doing well, it would look much different than what I've brought up. You didn't see me bringing social commentary into the discussion when I was pissed about Frozen's success. That was just rage fueled rants and raves.

• Like 2

If you mean cause he's Australian, he's US born and grew up about 45 minutes from where I am until his dad moved the family Down Under when he was 12.

His family moved there because his dad was trying to dodge the draft

I know Mel Gibson != Mel Gibson's dad, but still...

WTF?? American Sniper's number is out of this world.

I'll never understand middle America. Apparently the real-life Chris Kyle was a racist douchebag, seems kind of wrong that he's being touted as some hero now.

Don't know where you heard that.  From all accounts I've seen and read, both direct and tertiary, he was a great guy.  Flawed like all of us, but definitely not a racist.  Although, the term racist has been so dumbed-down that in today's market the term could easily apply to just about every person of European descent with white skin.

Oh please. When the two movies in question are both historical biopics and the violence/patriotism fueled one about the white guy who killed people for a living makes 10x over what the MLK one does, how does it not say something about American society? When America has had nothing but problems with gun control violence and racial equality lately? It doesn't mean I'm saying this signals the breakdown of all humanity. But two biopics that should have been on relatively equal playing fields at the box office clearly weren't certainly speaks as to what American audiences find appealing. And that AS is so much more appealing over Selma is a little troubling given current issues in the country.

If I was just throwing a fit about some movie I liked not doing well, it would look much different than what I've brought up. You didn't see me bringing social commentary into the discussion when I was pissed about Frozen's success. That was just rage fueled rants and raves.

On the flip side, if Eastwood had directed SELMA and vice versa, the films' successes would've probably switched as well (although not as dramatically).