LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Ugh, I read the synopsis of Boyhood, and it just screamed award bait, and sounds awfully boring from the way critics reviewed it.

Except it's Richard Linklater, Linklater makes art and doesn't give a flying shit about oscars. He also never has gotten much awards attention until now. Boyhood is not awards bait, it's actually some kind of a miracle it got nominated, let alone it being the front runner for the win.

I find it to instantly be one of the greats. It's Linklater though, and so it takes the right people to really love his style of filmmaking. But he's one of (if not) the best and most original and innovative filmmakers working today.

Your awards bait films this year are Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Foxcatcher, and Selma.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

The best movie nominated should win and that is Boyhood

What makes it so great? Never watched and never will because it sounds very boring, following the same actors for over a decade, but really, is there more to it than just that little niche? People I know who seen it said the movie had like no point to it whatsoever and they felt they wasted 3 hours for nothing.

• Like 1

What makes it so great? Never watched and never will because it sounds very boring, following the same actors for over a decade, but really, is there more to it than just that little niche? People I know who seen it said the movie had like no point to it whatsoever and they felt they wasted 3 hours for nothing.

Maybe you should see the film before you criticize it. It's not your typical crowd pleaser, but that's one of the reasons it's fantastic.

Except it's Richard Linklater, Linklater makes art and doesn't give a flying shit about oscars. He also never has gotten much awards attention until now. Boyhood is not awards bait, it's actually some kind of a miracle it got nominated, let alone it being the front runner for the win.

I find it to instantly be one of the greats. It's Linklater though, and so it takes the right people to really love his style of filmmaking. But he's one of (if not) the best and most original and innovative filmmakers working today.

Your awards bait films this year are Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Foxcatcher, and Selma.

Don't know who that is neither nor do I give a crap And a movie made by guy who is trying to use it for some artistic impression? So not my thing. I really tend to hate and despise them artsy fartsy type of films and will avoid them at all costs.

Don't know who that is neither nor do I give a crap And a movie made by guy who is trying to use it for some artistic impression? So not my thing. I really tend to hate and despise them artsy fartsy type of films and will avoid them at all costs.

Oh my gosh, a filmmaker makes a film that's art? How dare they!

It's not like Clint Eastwood wasn't also making art with American Sniper.

And it's not like film and movies are a form of art or anything.

• Like 1

Maybe you should see the film before you criticize it. It's not your typical crowd pleaser, but that's one of the reasons it's fantastic.

Nah, I'm already going in with biased opinion that I am not going to like it, so I'll just save myself the agony and not bother. Last time I watched a movie that critics and film lovers on this board said was great, but my friends said sucked was Drive, and IMO, the latter was correct. Drive sucked. 

• Like 2

Oh my gosh, a filmmaker makes a film that's art? How dare they!

It's not like Clint Eastwood wasn't also making art with American Sniper.

And it's not like film and movies are a form of art or anything.

Nah, Eastwood wasn't doing it to showcase his "art" but to tell a story, and to make money. Simple as that.

• Like 1

Nah, I'm already going in with biased opinion that I am not going to like it, so I'll just save myself the agony and not bother. Last time I watched a movie that critics and film lovers on this board said was great, but my friends said sucked was Drive, and IMO, the latter was correct. Drive sucked.

I'd reckon your taste in film sucks, not drive.

Sorry, I'm being harsh about it, but anyone who thinks film shouldn't be art (which is a contradiction in itself) doesn't have an opinion worth taking seriously.

• Like 4

Yeah, I still have this feeling that I wouldn't enjoy Boyhood. Among the BP noms I've seen American Sniper, and I wanna see The Theory of Everything.

I'm tempted to watch Whiplash, but that's a netflix movie for me. I tend to hate crowds so I go to the theater sparingly.

• Like 1

I'd reckon your taste in film sucks, not drive.

Sorry, I'm being harsh about it, but anyone who thinks film shouldn't be art (which is a contradiction in itself) doesn't have an opinion worth taking seriously.

No reason to get all bent out of shape, it's just my opinion and I know what I like and what I don't like. Don't like it, move along! Nothing I say or do is going to change whats going on in the oscars or what other people think of films, and I'm not trying to either. Really, people getting all defensive and insulting over a movie, a bit much, don't you think?

• Like 1