kayumanggi

THE GOOD DINOSAUR | 209.1 M overseas | 332.2 M worldwide

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Is that a new low for Pixar there?

Close, but no. It already passed Brave in Yen and A Bugs Life in Dollars, and will eventually pass Brave in dollars as well, but it loses to everything else.

• Like 1

I doubt its failure has anything to do with the release date. The counter-examples are numerous and I won't proceed to list them here (I'll mention one: Frozen). I really do think it's something intrinsic to the film itself. First of all, although the animation is beauitful regarding all the nature scenes, all the living creatures are generally unappealing. All the dinosaurs' design is very simplistic, so are the other animals and the humans. There is also little talking going, which is not enough to make it unappealing (after all Wall-E had very little talking for at least an hour), but when you add that to the fact that nothing interesting or unique really happens in the film, it just adds up to very little. The poor marketing is a reflection of the poor stroytelling, since the film was quite uneventful throughout (and full of cliche "dangers" and moments of "surprise"). I wish I had something better to say but there really is nothing that makes this film stand out.

• Like 2

Surprised it got that much fresh ratings from critics

To me it was a critics oversight and a bit of PIXAR bias in them

This film did not desere a 70+ RT score

Can't believe that it will end up making less OS than what ZOO just made in China! But ZOO is 100 x better so it's fair.

8 hours ago, Quigley said:

I doubt its failure has anything to do with the release date. The counter-examples are numerous and I won't proceed to list them here (I'll mention one: Frozen). I really do think it's something intrinsic to the film itself. First of all, although the animation is beauitful regarding all the nature scenes, all the living creatures are generally unappealing. All the dinosaurs' design is very simplistic, so are the other animals and the humans. There is also little talking going, which is not enough to make it unappealing (after all Wall-E had very little talking for at least an hour), but when you add that to the fact that nothing interesting or unique really happens in the film, it just adds up to very little. The poor marketing is a reflection of the poor stroytelling, since the film was quite uneventful throughout (and full of cliche "dangers" and moments of "surprise"). I wish I had something better to say but there really is nothing that makes this film stand out.

This.

Can't believe this shit costed more than Inside Out.

7 hours ago, CoolK said:

This.

Can't believe this shit costed more than Inside Out.

To some extent that has to do with the troubled production, since the film was essentially designed from scratch a second time. But yeah, it's a total waste of money.

If it had not had a troubled production and total rebuilt - and had the budget stayed at $175M, I wonder whether this film would not have broken even at $350M WW. The physical video sales according to the-numbers is now at ~$48M - so that is about $32M net. That is a solid #2 in the chart, right underneath the might SW7. Plus additional digital income that is not tracked. So, the ancillaries are not bad.

As it is, budget+marketing is probably at $350M, making it unlikely to break even even after the last dollar is counted.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ttr said:

Do we know how how much this has made in home-video? For example compared to IO? I'm interested if there is significant correlation between BO and HV.

This site has some guesses:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Good-Dinosaur-The#tab=video-sales

No, the video sales aren't exactly great for this movie.

• Like 1